grappling senarios and your response

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by dzl25, Aug 31, 2010.

1. dzl25

dzl25 White Belt

just a few questions to you guys 1. lets say you just sprawled the opponent to the floor do you attempt darce/anaconda or is spinning around and taking his back better. 2. when i have the back mount and attempting rear naked choke they spin out what am i forgetting.

2. keynote

keynote Purple Belt

I prefer to take the back and get rear mount. I'll usually do a head in the hole (thanks wrestling!) back take, and then work from the back. Typically, bow and arrow or an armbar. I kinda suck at RNC's still, which bothers me. I need to work on setting them up but I find them tricky with the gi some times.

If they're spinning out of your back control, you need to take a close look at what you're doing with your hooks and how you're controlling them. I'm not a master at it or anything, but you've got to pay close attention to your hooks to make sure they're in tight. If your partner shifts his weight, you've got to compensate for it accordingly.

3. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

You're allowing them to spin by not keeping your chest firmly against their back. If there is space between you and your opponent, your opponent can move and therefore get out of your back mount. Set your hooks into his inner-thighs and close the gap between your chest and his back. He won't be going anywhere.

4. Jiu Jitsuka

Jiu Jitsuka A Flight And A Crash

Gi or No-gi?

5. xMikeyX

xMikeyX Purple Belt

Stuff that head down with your forearm (an arm block)- your opponent's reaction will tell you what to do. He pops his head up- choke him- otherwise take the back if he "stalls" letting you stuff his head into the floor.

6. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

This. BJJ guys will usually try to pop the head up and sit to guard, in that case go for the choke, but if they turtle up, then spin to the back.

7. Fwogz1

Fwogz1 Blue Belt

Theres a jeff glover video out there somewhere and he says something like "if their elbows are on the ground go for the d'acre, if their hands are on their ground go for the back because there's space for the hooks." I think it was something like that, maybe not hahah.

8. InvertedBJJ

InvertedBJJ Green Belt

In order..

1. I sprawl and have learned it's easier for me to hit their shoulders with my forearms (kinda like MT clinch), and whatever defense they use is how I determine whether I work around to their back, or head and arm chokes.. Sometimes I might underhook their arm, and slide my knee on their back to go for an arm lock.

2. Make sure you tuck your hooks in tight and your hips aren't too high or too low. And seatbelt will help control their upper body. If your hooks aren't placed right, it's easy for them to scoot down, or just turn into you right away.

Hope this helps.

9. Russo93

Russo93 Yellow Belt

Cross Collar lapel control, Roll to the same side, shoot the arm through to the top of their head and go for the Robson loop Choke!

10. Coolcatsithe

Coolcatsithe White Belt

I actually go for the peruvian necktie, it's very attainable from sprawling out of someones takedown and I can sink it in very quickly most of the time, it's very awkward at first to learn but eventually it becomes a very natural motion. If that doesn't work you still have a upside down seatbelt grip to go for a back-take. Or you can try for a guillotine even.

What someone else said above. You simple aren't staying tight to them. I like to chickenwing one of their arms as well usually.

11. gocubs1815

gocubs1815 Black Belt

Well if you sprawl and get them to the mat, and they are leaving their neck open, than by all means go for the choke. But usually its situational depending on what they try and do. If they try and hold onto their single leg takedown or whatever than their neck shold be open for a choke (guillotine, d'arce, etc.). But depending on your sprawl if you go for the choke you may be putting yourself in an off balance position.

But if they are conservative and turtle up, than thats when you have to switch gears and take their back.