Grappling schools in Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge Ontario

Galway

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey everybody. For the past 2 years I've attanded the University of Waterloo and have been frustrated by the lack of grappling schools in the area.

I wrestled all 4 years of high school (making it to OFSAA in my last) and I wrestled with a private club in my first year in Waterloo that helps generally OFSAA bound high school wrestlers prepare for tournaments and what have you (we don't have a Wrestling team at my university). That's all well and good but now I'm 20 years old and preparing high school wrestlers for their tournaments just isn't what I want to do anymore.

There's gotta be over 400 000 people in the tri-cities yet there's no wrestling or MMA schools that I've ever heard of. I think I've heard mention of 1 or 2 BJJ schools so I might have to settle for that. Anyone know of anything different?

Hey everybody. For the past 2 years I've attanded the University of Waterloo and have been frustrated by the lack of grappling schools in the area.

I wrestled all 4 years of high school (making it to OFSAA in my last) and I wrestled with a private club in my first year in Waterloo that helps generally OFSAA bound high school wrestlers prepare for tournaments and what have you (we don't have a Wrestling team at my university). That's all well and good but now I'm 20 years old and preparing high school wrestlers for their tournaments just isn't what I want to do anymore.

There's gotta be over 400 000 people in the tri-cities yet there's no wrestling or MMA schools that I've ever heard of. I think I've heard mention of 1 or 2 BJJ schools so I might have to settle for that. Anyone know of anything different?

The only place worth going to in the KW region is the Alliance Affiliate headed by Dragan Konjevic and Eric Yu. Dragan is a black belt under Romero 'Jacare' Calvancante, and Eric is a brown with a metric shit-ton of tournament experience.

I used to go there until I moved away for grad school, and though I have no other grappling experience, the instruction and training there is top notch. They do both Gi and No Gi, however there is less emphasis on 'wrestling' then you may have enjoyed previously. Just an fyi, one of the students there made it to the Abu Dhabi pro finals this year, and he's a purple belt who's been training for 4 years.

One more thing, probably the best part about training with Dragan is his privates are dirt cheap (for a blackbelt). I once paid $50 for a 2 hour private, however don't quote me on that because prices may have gone up with the school's increasing credibility.

One more thing, probably the best part about training with Dragan is his privates are dirt cheap (for a blackbelt). I once paid $50 for a 2 hour private, however don't quote me on that because prices may have gone up with the school's increasing credibility.
6a00d83451b8c369e2012876d8a2d5970c-800wi

6a00d83451b8c369e2012876b7c3da970c-pi

The only place worth going to in the KW region is the Alliance Affiliate headed by Dragan Konjevic and Eric Yu. Dragan is a black belt under Romero 'Jacare' Calvancante, and Eric is a brown with a metric shit-ton of tournament experience.

I used to go there until I moved away for grad school, and though I have no other grappling experience, the instruction and training there is top notch. They do both Gi and No Gi, however there is less emphasis on 'wrestling' then you may have enjoyed previously. Just an fyi, one of the students there made it to the Abu Dhabi pro finals this year, and he's a purple belt who's been training for 4 years.

Yeah, I think I have a buddy who goes there too. How are class sizes and the overall atmosphere of the place?

they don't have anything at the school? nothing posted on the boards at the SLC?

they don't have anything at the school? nothing posted on the boards at the SLC?

Nah man. I almost think (not really) that wrestling is somehow forbidden or something. They have judo, jiu-jitsu and whatever else. No wrestling.

Yeah, I think I have a buddy who goes there too. How are class sizes and the overall atmosphere of the place?

I go there now, and I'll tell you right off the bat, it's the best you're gonna be able to find. I've been to other "MMA" programs and grappling classes, and they don't compare.

Let's see, a class at noon, on a Tuesday yesterday had fifteen people. There are many more come the later classes, since that's when people get off work and such.

Alliance BJJ Canada - Dragan Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

There are some pictures of the facility. The instruction is great, the atmosphere is very relaxed, friendly, and overall welcoming.

I can't say enough good things about it, come in for a trial class and see for yourself.

Nah man. I almost think (not really) that wrestling is somehow forbidden or something. They have judo, jiu-jitsu and whatever else. No wrestling.

They do that because schools like Guelph are willing to offer more to the athletes to come to their school. Waterloo knows it'd be a waste of time and effort to compete with them, plus there is not to high a demand for wrestling at Waterloo.

I go there now, and I'll tell you right off the bat, it's the best you're gonna be able to find. I've been to other "MMA" programs and grappling classes, and they don't compare.

Let's see, a class at noon, on a Tuesday yesterday had fifteen people. There are many more come the later classes, since that's when people get off work and such.

Alliance BJJ Canada - Dragan Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

There are some pictures of the facility. The instruction is great, the atmosphere is very relaxed, friendly, and overall welcoming.

I can't say enough good things about it, come in for a trial class and see for yourself.

I'd definitely fall into that bracket of people. I'm in math so I have a heavy school schedule from 10-4. Have you ever wrestled before / know wrestlers who have joined Alliance BJJ?

I'd definitely fall into that bracket of people. I'm in math so I have a heavy school schedule from 10-4. Have you ever wrestled before / know wrestlers who have joined Alliance BJJ?

I wreslted in grade nine, then again in Grade tweleve. At my school, the coaching was a joke up til that point. Still, I was able to go far because there aren't a lot of good athletes with much talent at 72KG-77KG, and those with any technique would always do well.

I've known a couple who have joined. They really stress the basics. Though they do incorporate takedowns in a few classes every once in a while.

We're the best competition team in the province, if not the country.

What was the club you wrestled with outside of school?

I wreslted in grade nine, then again in Grade tweleve. At my school, the coaching was a joke up til that point. Still, I was able to go far because there aren't a lot of good athletes with much talent at 72KG-77KG, and those with any technique would always do well.

I've known a couple who have joined. They really stress the basics. Though they do incorporate takedowns in a few classes every once in a while.

We're the best competition team in the province, if not the country.

What was the club you wrestled with outside of school?

Aaah. I had the opposite in high school. Our coach was probably the best in the province and we had a highly competitive team who won our championships something like 12 years running.

I wrestled for a club called Matmen. Not-for-profit club so it's really cheap and they're pretty friendly. They just train out of a local high school. They have other locations such as one in Mississauga,

The high school wrestling coach (until the program was canceled) from my school used to train there when I did. I don't know if he still does, but I remember quite a few people who wrestled in high school/university were training there consistently. No surprise since they still had the competitive fire, yet no other outlet for it.

Aaah. I had the opposite in high school. Our coach was probably the best in the province and we had a highly competitive team who won our championships something like 12 years running.

I wrestled for a club called Matmen. Not-for-profit club so it's really cheap and they're pretty friendly. They just train out of a local high school. They have other locations such as one in Mississauga,

I thought it'd be Matmen. Mr Remilard actually started coaching our team in Grade 12.

YOu wrestled for Mon. Doyle I assume :icon_chee

For strictly bjj, I concur with Dragan being the best place to train. There are other gyms (ex I trained with Larry Myrra in Seicho Jutsu) but for casual bjj Dragan is your best bet.

I thought it'd be Matmen. Mr Remilard actually started coaching our team in Grade 12.

YOu wrestled for Mon. Doyle I assume :icon_chee
Remmys an amazing coach, we're close to beating Doyle this year at tourneys and have close to 10 Offsa qualifiers hopefully

Back