Grappling questions???

judogido said:
Meh - all relative. I visited a BJJ club as a 1K brown belt. In my first session I tapped a blue - doesnt mean I'm better than blue belt level, I was just stronger & had the bloke's number on the day.

Consider that there are different expectations of a black belt judoka depending on the country. In Japan, shodans are not necessarily experts as they take a different view of black belts - whereas in Australia shodans are somewhat tougher - you cannot get a shodan in 1-2 years in Australia unless you are really exceptional technically & in competitions. There's a different set of standards for every country.

I think labelling judoka black belts = BJJ blue belts on the ground , or BJJ black belts = judoka blue belts in standing is really too subjective - given the varying degrees of skill and standards from one individual in one country to another individual in another country - to make any accurate general comparison.

Exactly my point player. I'm not saying I tap folks because my belt level puts me above them. I'm just saying what has happened and I'm saying that doesn't matter cuz I'm not there to tap folks, I'm there to learn...

Back