Grappling Path Take for a Newb

jstall

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have been practicing Muay Thai for 6 years or so. I really want to learn to grapple but, I am not just interested in BJJ. I would prefer to learn a lot about takedowns and wrestling in addition to submissions. I have been thinking about going to an MMA school or finding a wrestling club....
My question is, what is the best path for a person such as myself.

I have been practicing Muay Thai for 6 years or so. I really want to learn to grapple but, I am not just interested in BJJ. I would prefer to learn a lot about takedowns and wrestling in addition to submissions. I have been thinking about going to an MMA school or finding a wrestling club....
My question is, what is the best path for a person such as myself.

Why are you not interested in BJJ? Not hating, just curious.

look up local judo gyms. I think judo would be great for you. Lots of takedowns, throws, trips, and also newaza, or groundwork and submissions.

How old are you? Where do you live? Those two will have a big impact on what is available to you.

Okay, looking at your join date I'm going to guess your past high school/ college age. That makes wrestling much harder to get into.

Again, what is your reservation against BJJ? Not everyone needs to go that route, but starting BJJ later in life is easier than starting wrestling.

I say look up any grappling schools in your area, try them out, and find which one you like.

Just wanted to point out that the OP said "I am not just interested in BJJ" which is different than "I am just not interested in BJJ".

His statement of "I am not just interested in BJJ" means he is, in fact, interested in BJJ but is interested in other things as well.

I think at this point for you any wrestling / BJJ / judo / catch would be great for you.

I doubt that you have an equal choice between all these, so just go with the one available, which fit your schedule, no far from home, and from which you get a good vibe.

Just wanted to point out that the OP said "I am not just interested in BJJ" which is different than "I am just not interested in BJJ".

His statement of "I am not just interested in BJJ" means he is, in fact, interested in BJJ but is interested in other things as well.

Finally, someone in this thread who understood the question

Finally, someone in this thread who understood the question

LOL!

Yes he is INDEED interested in BJJ BUT he wants a heavy dose of Takedowns and wrestling which is REALLY hit and miss in BJJ clubs, relegating it to maybe a class or 2 a week and even then I hear words like drill the moves and often people stop short of saying "sparring on the feet". Kinda the reverse of Judo where depending on the school some do a ton of ground work and can get you pretty good on the mat while others do nearly 0 newaza.

The best thing OP can do is check out these types of things Sambo/Judo/BJJ/Wrestling maybe even combat submission wrestling if there is a Paulson school around or some other MMA gym which might have a real wrestler teaching wrestling.

I always thought of Judo as an excellent start to grappling, most often you get a heavy dose of stand up followed by pins and some submission work. If you dont love Judo then you know enough about standup and ground to decide if you want to go the wrestling route or the bjj route.

Back