Grappling on auto-pilot? (long)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by InfiniteWit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. InfiniteWit

InfiniteWit Orange Belt

Does anyone else feel like they grapple on auto-pilot. I was recently at wrestling camp and feel like I had a breakthrough. In one of my matches I realized that I wrestle on auto pilot. That's not to say that I zone out but that my motions are so instinctive that my mind isn't really engaged unless I want to actively edit what I'm doing. For example in one of my matches I had sit out and had a really aggressive guy on top with an underhook from behind. I got farmed out to another team and wasn't familiar with the coach. He was literally able to talk me through a move that I had never done before in the middle of the match. I feel very frustrated whenever I corner one of my guys at an off season tournament and they don't listen to me. I think that I was coachable because of the automatic responses on bottom freed my mind to listen to the coach and put his words into actions. I won that match with the reversal I got off bottom.

In another match I felt that my automatic responses on bottom gave me an advantage in the mental game. After I scored a takedown in the first period my opponent chose top. This means that I was in the scoring position. This kid did everything he could to turn me. He drove me across the mat so hard that I got mat burn on the undersides of my forearms. We went out and reset. He rode me out for the rest of the period. Final period It's my choice and I choose bottom. It's a lot easier to get an escape or reversal than it is to turn someone over. He tries and I set him up for a Peterson with about thirty seconds to go. My coach is telling me that I don't have to roll him but his momentum was in the right place so I roll him and get three nearfall before we go out. We reset fourteen seconds to go I go optional and finish the match my dribbling his head on the mat until time expires. Also; this dude looked JUST LIKE TITO ORTIZ

I really felt that wrestling instinctively helped me win both these matches by letting me think about what was happening and make good choices. Does anyone else feel like some movement in your grappling art are so deeply ingrained that you don't have to think about them? How does this help you in matches? And have you ever done poorly because of this?

2. Babic88**

Babic88** Yellow Belt

Its normal, its means that you reached next level :D

3. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

the ability to do stuff right without actively thinking about it, means that you have practiced it enough to commit it to "muscle memory." good job.

4. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

in wrestling, most of them.... in bjj, not so much

no

5. InfiniteWit

InfiniteWit Orange Belt

Do the movements not lend themselves to it or do you just not have the experience?

6. Taptap

Taptap Blue Belt

Unfortunately for me it's not a very common thing :( I tend to focus on my gameplan often overlapping some of my opponent's game's weak spots. But this one time rolling and being super tired and by super I mean when I was about to pass out from exhaustion my partner was in my guard and the very moment he twitched his finger trying to catch my collar I threw the most perfect amrbar ever. It felt like he slided his arm onto my hips just to get submitted. That time I've got this strange sensation (the auto-pilot I guess), it happens from time to time usually when I'm on the edge of my endurance I do some crazy stuff like reverse guard spinning triangles out of nowhere, side control cartwheel switches, some mad spinning bridges on the very tip of the shoulder and so on (well at least those things are on the crazy level for me ^^)

7. Nate Brow

Nate Brow Amateur Fighter

This kind of thing is great to have in a fight or in competition however I hate when it happens to me at the gym. Mostly because while rolling at the gym I like to work on weaknesses or that new sweep I just learned etc. When I get into that autopilot mode all the new moves and stuff go out the window and instead of working on new things im just coasting through same old stuff.

8. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

probably the latter

9. InfiniteWit

InfiniteWit Orange Belt

Awesome. I think yours may be a bit different from mine. My sit out series in bottom position in wrestling is just so ingrained that I go for it almost without exception. I feel like it's good enough to catch most of my opponents but I'm torn as to whether to try to improve it or diversify by bottom game. I understand what you mean about being on the edge of exhaustion. I've been down in the last thirty seconds of tournament finals and hit a Peterson perfectly into a pin with like five seconds to go. Being in dire peril like that really makes your body rely on muscle memory.

10. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

People actually aspire to achieve muscle memory which is what this sounds like so I wouldn't worry about it.

11. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

I know people refer to this as muscle memory, but it's really nothing more than memory, just like any other form of memory.

There are different levels of anything that we memorize, short term is the most common. Then you have those things that you remember and recall, if given enough time. Finally, you have those things that your brain has decided to place in it's RAM (as well as long term memory), because the use for it comes up so often....essentially, it moves up the line in your brain until it has to be on automatic access.

Things like your name, current telephone number, etc., are in this category.

So, that's why reps are important. Boring, but important. It forces your brain to say "well, I'm going to be accessing this constantly. Better shove it up into fast access mode."

12. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

I know a variety of techniques , but somehow when a roll gets wild and i cant think relaxed i always end up going for triangles.
    It's like my programmed submission.

Often there were other openings, but i still went for the triangle.

I'm going to drill some other subs a million times and hope that they will be added to my arsenal when im in this automatic state.

13. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

Not to hijack , but what would be a good number of repetitions for a move to become part of your arsenal.
    Like 100 ... maybe 300 repetitions?

I'd like to make a schedule for myself broken down in positions and subs/ escapes from those positions.

And than practise all moves x times, before moving on to working on the next .

14. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

It depends on what you mean by "part of your arsenal."

If I've done a move 10 times, I can at least try it in live rolling. After about 100 times, I use it in live sparring consistently. My coach says that after 1000, you can start modifying it to meet your needs. After 10,000, I think everyone would agree that it's ingrained in you and can be called on almost unconsciously.

15. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

yeah 10000 is what I have heard from an olympian

he drilled one throw constantly, one hour each day, took him over a month, and he already had the technique as his specialty but due to an injury he had to re-do it

the tricky part is that each rep has got to be good

16. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

I zone out when competing, have had a hard time learning to listen to my coach, it is easier in BJJ then in judo(higher pace, more specific isolated movements in steps)

I often don't know what I have done after a match, little sense of time passed. so videoing my matches has been very beneficial. the one time I remembered something (I told my mate after the match did you see that armbar into a omoplata, it was great) I had done a very poor attempt at an armbar and you could barely see the omoplata :p

I have a very limited game when competing but it has worked, even pulled of some stuff I have never really drilled, several of my takedowns are like that, I don't go in thinking I am going to do something stuff just happens

17. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

10000, thats sick .... i get bored after 10 repetitions omg.

18. Hades666

Hades666 Banned Banned

now bring that over to bjj, ud do well

19. FuriousFist

FuriousFist Yellow Belt

See also "mushin"