Grappling mat

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Rado, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

I want to set up a grappling mat and have researched over the internet and have found many different ideas and alternatives to just buying normal mats.
    The most interesting and cost effective idea seems to be using carpet inlay covered by a tarp. You can get high density ones and build it up to as thick as you want. Now I'm pretty sure this will be more than fine for rolling, drills, ground etc. But I'm wondering how it would be for takedowns and throws. I could make then 2" or 3" high if needed.
    Has anybody used or trained on a set up like that?
    Thanks.

P.S. I wasn't sure if that belonged in the G&E section or here, but please feel free to move.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  2. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

I say save up a month or two and go with a resilite. They have free shipping and mat tape. (free shipping on something this big is really a good deal) They sell reconditioned and remnant mats fairly cheap. It will last wayyyy longer and look/feel better.

$460.

Home Use - Reconditioned - Resilite Sports Products, Inc.

3. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

4. cjlewis01

cjlewis01 Drained Ear Belt/Paper Airplane Champ

Pulling Guard in MMA... Getting my Ear Swell ON...
    Getrung.com I think is where me and my buddy got our mats from. They are like foam. We roll 3-5 nights a week. Had them for about a year and for the money I am super happy.

I think we paid like 400 or so(10' by 10'). Have had no problems with wear and tear. I have also been thrown many times on them. They are just great. Also they are like puzzle fit, so they can fit in any room.

Hope this helps. Google get rung. Get the MMA mats.

5. kinz384

kinz384 White Belt

i agree i also have these mats. ive had mine over 2 yrs, and not a problem yet.

6. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

Thanks guys, but I'm not interested in commercial mats. I'm interested in opinions about the set up I described above. I'm sure there are great deals on mats in the U.S. but I'm not in the States.

7. dat1978

dat1978 Brown Belt

seems like a tarp is a pretty rough material to be grappling on. god i don't even want to imagine the mat burn.

8. blackers10

blackers10 Orange Belt

from my understanding the "tarp" they recommend is the canvas kind like on the side of trucks etc

9. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

Well, this seems to be the way the Brazilians have done it for ages now. Maybe that's why they are tough fighters :icon_chee (j/k)

Anyways, I don't feel like paying an arm and a leg for commercial mats at the moment and I couldn't find any good deals around here.

But I read a couple of people saying the mat burn from the tarp is actually not as bad as commercial mats.

But I don't care either way. All I'm interested to know is how it would be for takedowns and also Judo type of throws.

10. gogoGomi

gogoGomi unstoppable_flow

obviously youd go with a canvas tarp and not plastic, im guessing...

11. gogoGomi

gogoGomi unstoppable_flow

12. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

Actually as far as I understood you go with a vinyl type of tarp.

13. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

14. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

This seems to work the best. I've never set up a mat of any type, but this is what we use in our school. It even has some weird truck canvas branding. All of the places I've trained in use something like that, although some aren't so smooth. I might be talking out of my ass, but it really doesn't sound like a very expensive choice. Most schools in my area use it.

15. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  16. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

17. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

18. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

Well, I'm a pretty heavy dude and I have no problems taking falls on them and being thrown. My biggest concern when it comes to mats is their firmness, and every mat of this kind I've stepped on is solid enough to step on, and I really like this. The mats they use in competition, the jigsaw ones, always bother me, because it feels like I'm stepping in a pillow and it's a bit unsettling to me. Not running the risk of getting a toe stuck in somewhere is a big relief...

19. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

Thanks. If they are harder chances are they use the tire system under the tarp then.

20. laohu69

laohu69 Blue Belt

For those in the US who are looking for mats I bought 6 of these & they are good mats. they are different construction from the commercial mat rolls (I also have some of those & will be posting a comparison between the 2 in the gear section soon).

To the OP- you might also want to look into a more traditional Judo floor.

The Quest for the Perfect Judo Floor

This floor is used in conjunction with tatami mats.

The only thing I didn't like about your original proposal of using carpet padding is that it is too soft & you would sink into it when trying to move around, especially if you made it 3" thick as you considered.

Good luck to you in whatever direction you head with your mat.