Grappling Maladies

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by blfdgrappler, Sep 25, 2010.

1. blfdgrappler

blfdgrappler Orange Belt

It seems to me that every week or so I have some new grappling malady, ranging from minor (mat burn) to more serious (cauliflower ear). Likewise, I tend to see new threads on here about as often with all kinds of issues: toe drags, dislocations, broken ribs, warts, staph, etc. So, it made me wonder: what are some of the injuries/maladies you have experienced since starting your BJJ journey?

I think this thread would also be a good resource for new grapplers, i.e., stuff I wish I had known about BEFORE starting BJJ (why oh why didn't I take the blue pill!). So let 'er rip. I want to hear about the most minor, to the worst, to the most laughable, to the most embarrassing grappling maladies, and everything else in between, that have befallen my respected BJJ brothers.

2. tysnw

tysnw Brown Belt

nothing at all

just a bit of bacne

(one half years)

edit: i meant skin diseases. way too many injuries to count.

3. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Knee injuries. I know a ton of grapplers who have had knee surgery. I probably need it soon too. My left knee has been bothering me for a while now.

4. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

Nothing too big. The biggest issue I had was with a ankle injury, and dealing with my patellas, who tend to wander out of their place. Everything else is minor.

5. cenix

cenix Orange Belt

wrestled a lot in high school. my knees crack like crazy.

6. Kyle 18

Kyle 18 White Belt

a torn interior deltoid and ringworm

There haven't been too many injuries at the gym where i train.

7. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

Typically I won't get that many injuries, but 6 weeks ago I managed to put a hairline fracture in my C4 vertebrate. I'm a little less than pleased because it fucking hurts and I despise taking time off especially with a tournament at the end of October.

8. bora y

bora y Purple Belt

ringworm, gi burns, ac joint problems, ankle problems, sore knees.
    none of it was too serious though, the shoulder bothered me the most, kept me out for 2 months but now it feels great.

9. blfdgrappler

blfdgrappler Orange Belt

Didn't you just get stabbed? That might be newsworthy!

As for my maladies, I have broken a toe (from getting caught under me on the mat), torqued my shoulder and neck (still not quite right), and had cauli on both ears now (though after treatment they look reasonably normal). Occasionally I will get armbarred too hard and have to ice an elbow or put biofreeze on a pulled muscle. When I first started, some idiot 16 year-old kid got mad because he couldn't pass my guard and rape choked me, bruising my larnyx pretty bad (before I knew how to defend). He put a lot of force on it in the micro-seconds before I frantically tapped. I lost my voice, and it was sore for several weeks. Sometimes I end up with mat burn on my hands and feet. Otherwise, nothing too serious. Fortunately, no staph or other funk.

10. Ninja This

Ninja This Purple Belt

Anybody else learn a new word by reading this thread?

11. crash90

crash90 Blue Belt

I have a shoulder that sublaxes on occasion. The shoulder is unstable from a dislocation 4 or 5 years ago. Essentially, the cartilage/muscle that keeps the shoulder in joint is torn/stretched. When the shoulder is forced in certain directions (or with a certain force) the shoulder will "slip" out quickly. It never fully dislocates anymore.

I should probably take some time off to rest it and do some strengthening exercises. However, I love training too much.

12. justkidin

justkidin White Belt

I tore my labrum my senior year in wrestling because I am naturally able to let my shoulder slide out of socket a little bit. I over did it in a match and it put me out for most of the season. I came back to compete at our league championships(and won :) ) I even quified for regionals, and then I reinjured it in my first match at regionals and it kept falling out of place so I had to quit and end my senior year. ( Not :), definately :(. )