grappling league

F

farmer

In high school I remember my friends on the wrestling team used to compete every week. I think competition is really good for improving you're game because when you roll with new and different people sometimes you see areas in you're game that need improvement.

I was thinking it would be cool if there was some sort of grappling league where people from different schools would get together on a regular and have an informal competition. I think this would help everyone elevate their game and be good practice for guys who want to compete. Different schools could take turns hosting the event. Do you guys think this is a good idea? How many of you would participate?

Wouldn't work so well in Alaska. We have all of two BJJ schools, and only a couple more in Judo.

In high school I remember my friends on the wrestling team used to compete every week. I think competition is really good for improving you're game because when you roll with new and different people sometimes you see areas in you're game that need improvement.

I was thinking it would be cool if there was some sort of grappling league where people from different schools would get together on a regular and have an informal competition. I think this would help everyone elevate their game and be good practice for guys who want to compete. Different schools could take turns hosting the event. Do you guys think this is a good idea? How many of you would participate?

That would be awesome. If you lived in an area where there were a number of school within driving distance, you could do small saturday club matches every week or so. It doesn't even have to be that formal, just in a tournament format. Matches start on the feet, senior belts could ref and give points. Everyone fights a couple of times and wins/losses are fogotten at the end of the day.

there are about 12 schools in my area that I can think of off the top of my head so there are a lot of BJJ guys in the area, I just wonder if anyone would participate in something like this. It would be fun I think and I like rolling with people from different schools.

I was thinking this very same thing yesterday. I used to play in an indoor soccer rec league. Matches were every week. However, from a BJJ perspective, it would probably be hard, especially due to the belt levels and weight classes. In the comps I have been to, there have been like 3 or 4 in my division. I guess you would have to reduce the number of weight classes and belts.

I don't see it happening. I think there is too much ego involved for people to

1. try something that would definitively show which schools had the best competitors
2. a school to return its students the following week if they just got their asses handed to them the previous week

I like the idea. Perhaps it might work if you just sign up individually for a competition league but I just don't see an instructor putting the reputation of the school on the line by sending a whole team week in and week out.

Back