Grappling kill stories?

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
Awsome, then you can spend the next year of your life in jail, better hope they have bjj there.
The only reason i would get into a street fight is because i feared for my life, or was being attacked...
If someone is attacking me i woulddnt hesitate to choke them completely out.. If it killed them.. i would deal with repercussions...

Prepaid legal Services.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
Awsome, then you can spend the next year of your life in jail, better hope they have bjj there.

oh they have jiujitsu there, but when they get your back they try to get all 3 hooks in :eek:

ChinBo37 said:
oh they have jiujitsu there, but when they get your back they try to get all 3 hooks in :eek:

According to Steve-O on Wild Boyz, when they went to Brazil, "if they practice this stuff in prison, we are totally screwed."

MoWy said:
Many people say that BJJ doesn't work on the street, but I think it is like any other discipline, indeed any of them could be effective on street.

oh yes. Ussually people that train Karate, Kung fu and crap like that say this things. Recently a teammate of mine choked a guy out after taking his opponent's back. The brawl started with the 2 of them punching each other until he got his back. He is trained for totally 4 months...

b0b said:
According to Steve-O on Wild Boyz, when they went to Brazil, "if they practice this stuff in prison, we are totally screwed."

haha, i saw that episode. who was that girl who tapped out steve-o. i think it said her last name was ribeiro.

Ayin said:
Ju-Jitsu works in real fighting, the only argument for why it doesn't is the oft said "if you go to the ground, his buddys....".
Plainly one of the stupidest statements ever made, anyone who thinks they can stand up strike several people down is either full of it or dreaming.
In a one on one fight, it is definately one of the best arts, and in some cases, it should be the defensive art of choice. Just think of all the classes of womens self defence where they practice un-realistic striking against what will most likely be a much larger and stronger opponent. In most situations, a women will be attacked by one individual, who will attempt to hold them in place if not on the ground.

You're missing an important point there Ayin. Bjj is ineffective against multiple attackers. Be realistic here: if you take a guy down in the streets and his friends come over, do you think they are going to break it up peacefully and ask you guys to make nice? Not likely.

The comment that usually follows is "bjj is ineffective against multiple attackers because once you get one guy down, his friends will gang up on you and you're at a disadvantage." Staying on your feet is better because you can move, run, and generally have more options in terms of escape or finding weapons if necessary.

Now, I did not say that staying on your feet and trying the bruce lee, fight 100 men at once technique was also effective. One of the shortcomings of bjj is that against two or more attackers, you are going to have problems.

Gsoares2 said:
If im defending my self in a street fight, i want nothing short of death.

Agreed...If he started it then it's his fault and I have no hard feelings....You never know what his attention are....

phenomfan1529 said:
haha, i saw that episode. who was that girl who tapped out steve-o. i think it said her last name was ribeiro.

Her name is Leticia Ribeiro...multi world champion trained under Royler Gracie.

ribeiro-leticia.jpg

Gsoares2 said:
The only reason i would get into a street fight is because i feared for my life, or was being attacked...
If someone is attacking me i woulddnt hesitate to choke them completely out.. If it killed them.. i would deal with repercussions...

Prepaid legal Services.

Why would you need to completely choke someone out? It only takes a few seconds to put someone to sleep from a blood-choke and then he becomes totally harmless to you. Why go any further? You'd have to sit there and sink in that RNC for good minute or so to fully kill him while the cops are rushing to the scene in the meantime. Good luck convincing a jury what you did doesn't constitute excessive force and/or murder.

Here's a very good post on this subject from not too long ago:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?p=8462786

Originally Posted by Gregster
This has, of course, come up before...I've asked I guy who I'm pretty good friends with (as well as you can be friends with someone you know through messageboard and met in person once) who's worked both sides of the bench in crimminal and civil court (prosecutor for the state, private defense attorney) and the only solid answer is there pretty much isn't one. Considering all the possible variables, which differ in almost any fight, adjudicated differently from state to state, there's no firm answer except that if you can avoid it, DON'T FIGHT.

There are only guidelines, which the previous posts more or less already detailed:

1) You are expected to make every attempt to flee the scene; otherwise, you're not likely justified in fighting.

2) You may only use "proportional force;" if some dude shoves you, and you beat the ever-loving shit out of him, guess who's going to jail (hint: not the guy who shoved).

3) If you think "He was asking for it" constitutes a legal defense, guess again.

Never mind that crimminal trials are argued by two attorneys, one of whom might be very good (or not) at convincing 12 random strangers with their own biases and prejudices who was right and who was wrong.

And as martial artists, we're at a decided disadvantage. You get into a scuffle with some loudmouth in a bar and wind up armbarring him and fucking up his shoulder, and he presses charges, what do you think his lawyer is going to say? "So, Mr. Sherdogger, is it not true that you practice Brazilian Ju Jitsu? A brutal martial art preferred by so-called 'Ultimate Fighters' and 'No-Rules' competitors? Ladies and Gentleman of the Jury, I give you Exhibit A: this video of Bas Rutten ripping an opponents' leg off and beating him with it using something called a 'heel hook,' which the defendent allegedly used in the altercation against my client, a former choirboy in his church..."

The great thing about BJJ, though, is that you can sub people without hurting them too bad; I advise going this route and resisting the urge to inflict major damage, even if the dude "asked for it." If it goes to court, you'll be shown as having exercised restraint.

In my school, we are taught the correct RNC with the trachea in the crook of the elbow. We are also taught the version where you drive your wrist into the trachea if you can't get your arm all the way across to sink it. That way is very dangerous, thank god nobody uses it in class. I would not hesitate to use it in an attack situation though.

Ayin said:
Ju-Jitsu works in real fighting, the only argument for why it doesn't is the oft said "if you go to the ground, his buddys....".
Plainly one of the stupidest statements ever made, anyone who thinks they can stand up strike several people down is either full of it or dreaming.
In a one on one fight, it is definately one of the best arts, and in some cases, it should be the defensive art of choice. Just think of all the classes of womens self defence where they practice un-realistic striking against what will most likely be a much larger and stronger opponent. In most situations, a women will be attacked by one individual, who will attempt to hold them in place if not on the ground.

That not a stupid statement at all. Have you ever been soccer kicked in the face? It happened to a teammate of mine in a rugby game when he was on the ground and he got pretty f'ed up.

The point is that if you are up against multiple attackers you are fcked no matter style you use. Unless you are in a movie, its very unlikely that you are going to be able to take out 3+ people by yourself unless they are total pussies. The best thing to do is stay on your feet, throw a couple of punches, and get the hell out of their. Even if you mount one person it is very easy for a unskilled friend to kick you in the face and fck you up pretty good. In the real world people don't wait to attack you one-on-one like in Kill Bill.

BJJ is useful in the street, but you cannot just discount the danger of going to the ground against multiple attackers.

knoxpk said:
eh...I belly to backsuplexed a guy at a bar once..he was shoving one of my buddies into a corner for talking to his girl ..I came up behind him and Wham...when the bouncers came and one tried to grab me my brother took him down with a double leg...
We got kicked out..
LOL

no offense but i hate it when friends jump it. i dont unless it becomes unfair. you and your brother took him down. not to attack you, but i dont have much respect for 2 on 1

I got into a fight with a guy who was just pissing me off, hes on of those fucking chavs that act cocky..he punched the back of my head pretty hard. I put my hands around his waist and tripped him down by running towards him, the guy was fucked up before i could even touch him because his back smacked the ground so hard, he just winded out..

Some_Black_Guy said:
Bjj is ineffective against multiple attackers. QUOTE]

black_guy = asshole...

Why?Figure it out yourself..I think we've mentioned over 50,002 times that nothing is effective against multiple attackers..BTW, why do people think that only the opponent will have his friends come and kick you up?Are you some kind of low life loner with no friends? Wont you have your friends coming too?

each state has different laws on self defense; read your states law and go from there.

Today in down town san jose california i saw a man get jumped he fought back...and they both got arrested...

Ok One Last Thing, Ask Your Instructor About This Fucking Question, I Have And They Gave Me A Bunch Of Good Pointers!!!

Not really a fight, but I knew this puerto rican kid that thought he was some tough guy. You know, those kids who watch too many rap videos and act like thugs. He thinks he can box but never actually learned how to. I used Judo on him.

Once he was pushing me and acting like he was gonna punch me saying stuff like, "you wanna throwdown homie?" When he pushed, I just pulled and did a Tsurikomi and tripped him down. He was like laying on the ground like WTF, and all the other kids were laughing. I guess I didn't even need to know Judo to pull that off, but he seemed really surprised. He got up and brushed it off with a, "that shit ain't gonna work if I was really fighting you" attitude and walked off.

I use Judo a lot on the TKD kids while play fighting because they don't what the hell to do when I grap them. I don't slam them or anything, I just use leg trips to lightly take them down. I think a lot of them think that what they learn will really help them in a fight. I'm just trying to enlighten them. I used a double leg on a kid who says he knows aikido once. He was talking about how he would intercept a punch and wrist lock somebody in a fight and he had no answer for a double leg and full mount.

Back