1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

grappling in the newest karate kid

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Kyuktooki, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Kyuktooki

Kyuktooki Blue Belt

I saw this with my kids last night and was surprised to see that they included grappling nearly a dozen times in the choreographed fights. I don't doubt grappling has existed in China for centuries, and not just Shuai Jiao at that, but I have not seen it given much time in movies obviously choreographed by wushu experts until now. I think this is a sign of the changing times that a Kung-Fu movie would include this much grappling at all.
    By the way, I thought it was a really decent kids movie and Will Smith's son does a good job for a child actor. I also think Jackie Chan did a decent job of acting as well (I like his movies up to rumble in the Bronx but I never would have called him a good actor). It be worth seeing for some.

2. strike63

strike63 Green Belt

i havent heard anything about it yet , its good to here they didnt ruin it concidering the original was amazing

3. random shot:

random shot: Blue Belt

All those grappling techniques shown in the movie are from Traditional Kung Fu mainly Wushu and Shaolin by the looks of it. I get what you mean by not usually putting it in Kung Fu movies but because of the popularity of MMA they probably incorparated it because the American Producers/Directors wanted it in there like a lot of movies have recently sherlock holmes and iron man 2 off the top of my head.

4. random shot:

random shot: Blue Belt

They basically copied the original but in a diffrent setting with diffrent style of fighting all in all though it was like 80% copied and 20% new stuff they made up on there own. They just changed a few things around like age and stuff to make it sem diff when it really wasn't. "Break his leg No Mercy" sounded so much better in the original version though lol:D

5. Gorgenflex

Gorgenflex White Belt

I hated the new movie but I didn't notice grappling. Will Smith's kid said some guy from Brazil taught him some Jiu Jitsu and then did a crappy wrist lock which I found funny though.

6. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

I think grappling should stay in the real life, and fancy kung fu for movies, the last MArts movies based on grappling as the MA were sooooooooooooooooooo horrible that its fucking hard to watch...I think the best movie of all those horrible grappling/mma movies was red belt... movies are movies, real life is real life.... let JCVD and Steven seagal do their stuff (I hope theres a younger version of Steven seagal coming up, cause I loooove his OLD movies, Nico and hard to kill were so freaking kick ass, the last ones are terrible too, but aikido kick ass on tv...

7. Kyuktooki

Kyuktooki Blue Belt

More like 10-20% of the movie and 80-90% new and most of the stuff that is similar to the old movie it seems they only put in so fans of the franchise could have an extra laugh. Most of what was the same was overarching plot elements. They were throwing people to the ground and doing basic submissions most of which would not work in BJJ, but it was still grappling none the less. I am starting to wonder if you two even saw the same movie I did. I think this movie was obviously marketed for a large Chinese audience. They did take this piss out of BJJ and Capoeira but when you think of it a lot of kids talk like that.

8. Title Fight Productions

Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

Good movie but the kids were just to young for my liking. Watching a jackie Chan as a grown man kicking the Kung Fu out of five 11yr olds was just silly, imo.

At least in the orignal they were 17+ year old young men.

9. iheartthemount

iheartthemount Blue Belt

a lot of the families i work with (at a MA school) told me it was enjoyable on many levels both in terms of the message it sends and the entertainment value. thanks for sharing!

10. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

Jackie Chan pales in comparison to the original Mr. Miyagi but Smith was a far better student than Ralph M.

The movie was not bad, good to take your kids to.

11. sandmann

sandmann Orange Belt

Does it not piss off anyone else that the movie is still called "Karate Kid" and they are doing Kung Fu?

12. Oak

Oak 栄誉

This constant remaking of movies is ridiculous. I have not seen one remake that was better.

I agree with ya that the Karate kid doing Kung Fu is stupid, but most people wont know the difference.

13. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

I noticed that as well (never saw it though). Apparently in China it's called the Kung Fu Kid. Of course we keep it Karate Kid in America because most people think Karate is synonymous with martial arts.

14. Gorgenflex

Gorgenflex White Belt

What about Scarface, The Fly, Ocean's Eleven, Cape Fear and Dawn of The Dead?

15. The Elemental O

The Elemental O Purple Belt

Have you ever seen Donnie Yen use grappling in a martial art movie?

[YT]79zVjizmndA[/YT]

Meh, a little but since I enjoyed the movie a lot I didn't care.