grappling in street/school fights

Why does everyone assume that those of us who train wrestling and/or BJJ can't also kick in the balls, scratch, and poke people in the eye?

Yeah if there are no rules, we can also play by no rules.

Anyone, trained people included, can get caught.

Street thug meets jiu jitsu purple belt...haymaker lands or something similar and the purple belt loses. Fights cannot always be clearly forecasted...that is why I have never bet on MMA...way too unpredictable.

But what training does...is raise the ratio in your favor IMO. 9 out of 10 times the trained purple belt would take the thug down and pound his face, the other 1 time is what we are training for...

this

i mean will being a trained marksmen give you the edge in a gun fight...of course. can you still lose....of course.

No one can be trained to overcome every variable that can happen

I had a fight last week after some guys tried to steel my scooter.
I did a takedown and advanced pretty smoothly to full mount , i was very calm and controlled , but a little after there was such a wild scuffle , i have to say anything couldve happened and i didnt feel really comfortable with my Bjj there.

I mean i felt i had total dominance in the positioning at all times, but i felt i couldve randomly get hit at any moment , which could make me lose postion or get knocked out.

I mean i roll pretty hard and wild with some guys , but the punches added really changed everything and i wasnt well prepared for that.

I fought before but at those times i used kickboxing and didnt want to go to the ground, and now i took it there immediatly.

I'm already sold to Bjj so i will continue , but i feel for realistic streetfight training, you should train mma.

but I was basically saying that arts that are focused on self-defense like pure BJJ are going to help more in the streets than sport-based ones like wrestling.

you have no idea what the fuck your talking about.

if that guy you fought had been a wrestler instead of a hockey player you would be telling us how you got taken down and then u tried this crazy rubber guard technique you saw on teh ufcee, but the guy shrugged it off and proceeded to pound your face in.

I had a fight last week after some guys tried to steel my scooter.
I did a takedown and advanced pretty smoothly to full mount , i was very calm and controlled , but a little after there was such a wild scuffle , i have to say anything couldve happened and i didnt feel really comfortable with my Bjj there.

I mean i felt i had total dominance in the positioning at all times, but i felt i couldve randomly get hit at any moment , which could make me lose postion or get knocked out.

I mean i roll pretty hard and wild with some guys , but the punches added really changed everything and i wasnt well prepared for that.

I fought before but at those times i used kickboxing and didnt want to go to the ground, and now i took it there immediatly.

I'm already sold to Bjj so i will continue , but i feel for realistic streetfight training, you should train mma.

Scooter?

you have no idea what the fuck your talking about.

if that guy you fought had been a wrestler instead of a hockey player you would be telling us how you got taken down and then u tried this crazy rubber guard technique you saw on teh ufcee, but the guy shrugged it off and proceeded to pound your face in.

Pretty much agree here.

I was a Wrestler in HS. My buddies and I got in a lot of stupid fights my Senior year vs a bunch of racist kids. Wrestling definitely helped a TON.

Takes a real man to ride a scooter - that's what I tell myself anyhow...

56752850_juCDX-S.jpg

(Not me, but the same scoot that I ride)

Also, grappling techniques most definatley work against someone who is untrained. This is a long stupid story so stop reading if you want.

Last week one of my buddies was talking shit about setting up an octagon and fighting because I was giving him a hard time about something, I forget what even. Says he will tap me out. He knows I train but I think is one of those guys that doesn't believe martial arts work. He is a big guy but slim 6'7" 240 ish, I am 6' ,180. We went on a road trip and were getting ready to go out at night. As I siad, he's tall so finding clothes that fit is not that easy for him. ALot of the time he has to get super baggy and big Sean Jean or Ecko stuff, anyhow he was wearing these huge jean shorts so I asked if he was going to rock "manpris" (man capris) for our night on the town. It this point he was standing in front of me and I was sitting on a hotel room bed. He says "Fock you, that's it!!!" and tries to tackle me. I arm drag him and end up behind him immediately, climb that tall bastard like a monkey and get my hooks in, he falls back on the bed and start struggling and asking the other guys we are with to help him. I start working RNC and he defend OK, so I control one of his arms then bring my leg up to pin his arm. After that, sunk in the choke and he tapped quick. Whole thing was maybe 30 seconds from the time he tried to jump me.

It was all in fun and I know nothing like a street fight, but the point is your training works. Average people are clueless. If nothing else you will have better cardio than some average joe and will beat him.

I know grapplers definately do in school. When I was in high school by the end of the year we had a wrestler who got challenged by about every tough street fighting guy in the school and he one by landslide on everyone, but one time he got close to losing by one of my buddys who had a great stand up game and decent ground game atleast he understood the ground game, but the wrestler probably had 20 fights by the end of the year and didnt lose any of them. He was getting challenged by all these guys because they wanted to see if he could be beaten. Gotta say all the fights he had carried big crowds lol. Never once was the grappler jumped by anyone while on the ground either, so I dont wanna hear any of that bull crap. Everybody let the fight go till needed intervention or a tap.

Now as far as standing up martial arts im gonna say no they dont have the upper hand in school street. I watched one guy who was a black belt in ishriu (not sure if spelled right) karate get his teeth knocked out one hit. I also watched another get taken to the ground and beat till someone drug the other guy off. As far as grappling. Yes they have the upperhand.

Takes a real man to ride a scooter - that's what I tell myself anyhow...

56752850_juCDX-S.jpg

(Not me, but the same scoot that I ride)

Also, grappling techniques most definatley work against someone who is untrained. This is a long stupid story so stop reading if you want.

Last week one of my buddies was talking shit about setting up an octagon and fighting because I was giving him a hard time about something, I forget what even. Says he will tap me out. He knows I train but I think is one of those guys that doesn't believe martial arts work. He is a big guy but slim 6'7" 240 ish, I am 6' ,180. We went on a road trip and were getting ready to go out at night. As I siad, he's tall so finding clothes that fit is not that easy for him. ALot of the time he has to get super baggy and big Sean Jean or Ecko stuff, anyhow he was wearing these huge jean shorts so I asked if he was going to rock "manpris" (man capris) for our night on the town. It this point he was standing in front of me and I was sitting on a hotel room bed. He says "Fock you, that's it!!!" and tries to tackle me. I arm drag him and end up behind him immediately, climb that tall bastard like a monkey and get my hooks in, he falls back on the bed and start struggling and asking the other guys we are with to help him. I start working RNC and he defend OK, so I control one of his arms then bring my leg up to pin his arm. After that, sunk in the choke and he tapped quick. Whole thing was maybe 30 seconds from the time he tried to jump me.

It was all in fun and I know nothing like a street fight, but the point is your training works. Average people are clueless. If nothing else you will have better cardio than some average joe and will beat him.

i know he's your friend and all but he's a fucking pussy for asking people for help after trying to tackle you

I'd lose mad respect for him, and would have clowned on him for atleast a week about it

i know he's your friend and all but he's a fucking pussy for asking people for help after trying to tackle you

I'd lose mad respect for him, and would have clowned on him for atleast a week about it

Oh, don't worry. I sent him that mullet self defense video that was on Sherdog yesterday and told him to just pretend he is having his period(like the video suggests), then I would leave him alone.

He is getting it bad from me and my other buddies. He says he wants a rematch but has not made a move on me!

Back