Grappling gyms in SD

cheath

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place, and please feel free to move.

Can people offer some suggestions for BJJ gyms in San Diego? Preferably within a couple miles of downtown since I live there. I know Saulo has his gym not far away, and near it is Dean Lister. I also know Andre Galvao has a gym. Those are obviously HUGE names in the game, and training under one of them would be a real privilage.

However, I know there are lots of other quality instructors out there and gyms with great atmospheres. I've been doing CrossFit for awhile now, and having just moved out here I feel kinda lonely at the gym, like an outsider looking in. I'm just a blue belt, so I won't be with the "cool kids" at a grappling gym, but I feel like it's a good time to try something else besides CF for fitness/personal growth for awhile.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. (Your gym name, coach, and physical address would also be great!) :)

Stronghold might be what you're looking for, it's crossfit and BJJ downtown.

You've also got Ribera at University of JJ, Lister/Glover at Victory (also has crossfit) and arena mma (s&c for sure, maybe crossfit) in downtown. Over in Hillcrest area you have undisputed with Yoshikawa.

Edit, I am an idiot. Those gyms are in old town/loma point not downtown

It's called Point Loma not Loma point.
Also I would look into a BJJ Revolution team school.
Rodrigos in pacific beach, Barum out by Morena, Moore BJJ out of Point Loma High School.
Also Joel Tudors in Solana Beach and Tellas just opened a new place in UC area and of course Clark Gracie in La Jolla.

A woman I know, a white belt, recently took a training holiday to San Diego and went to Galvao's gym specifically on the recommendation of her regular BJJ coach.

There are so many gyms in SD that you can basically take a free class at all of them and decide from there. YOu have the gamut from well known guys, to big gyms, to small ones. JUst depends what you want to do. You're downtown so that's central to a lot. Saulo, Point Loma area (Stronghold), Dean Lister and Glover at Victory, Pitbull, Undisputed would be the closest ones. You drive a little more, then you have Gracie Humaita, Barum, Atos, Fabio Santos. All those are pretty much 15 minutes away only.

Lol at Solana and Vista recommendations. Guy is asking for gyms near downtown lol. The closest gyms to you will be Victory (Lister/Glover), University (Saulo), the Arena. There's also Pitbull BJJ off Rosecrans. Atos and Gracie HQ (Royler, Faria, Lebre) would be about 30 min. commute. Clark I'd say about the same.

your out of luck bro. theres really not much bjj in San Diego. dont even bother doing a google search either. nothing will show up

Lol at Solana and Vista recommendations. Guy is asking for gyms near downtown lol. The closest gyms to you will be Victory (Lister/Glover), University (Saulo), the Arena. There's also Pitbull BJJ off Rosecrans. Atos and Gracie HQ (Royler, Faria, Lebre) would be about 30 min. commute. Clark I'd say about the same.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. To the guy who asked if I'm interested in wrestling, I'd say not really. Thank you though.

I found all these gyms you mentioned on Google. Hard to compete with names like Saulo or Lister/Glover, but sometimes big gyms have stupid prices and douchey people. Definitely not a rule though, so I'm sure I'll check them out. I saw Pitbull, and although I don't know the coach by name he seems damn well qualified. I also didn't recognize any of the names at Arena, though they don't really list coaches by sport (e.g., grappling, boxing, etc.). But I'm sure you don't open up a second rate business THAT close to the other gyms that are there and manage to stay in business.

Although it would be great to train under Royler, or Galvaeo, I don't think I could bring myself to drive 25mins when these others are about 10mins.

Arena and Victory have some really good schedules (with early classes) as well as CrossFit and gym equipment. Provided the CrossFit isn't horrid programming and the contract/price stuff lines up, I'd definitely like to look into Arena and Victory more. I wrote them both, so hopefully they'll reply soon!

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback

Back