Grappling experts: why is Romanov’s forarm choke not utilized more?

The Mookster

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
He made the set up for the choke look quite easy and it looked incredibly effective. It appeared to be a blood choke. Questions:
1) Do you need to just cut off one carotid artery for a blood choke or did the opponents body/floor cut off the second?

2) Also, it doesn’t seem like a choke that takes a lot of energy While seemingly zaps the shit out of your opponent. Why don’t you see this more often? Is it easy to counter or escape? Was it just the fact that Romanov as humongous as why it worked?

Seems he’s mastered it. Got a few of those on his record. You could see him going for it in his UFC debut

Idk who Romanov is but Machida won by forearm choke a long ass time ago.

I'm no expert, but like most dominant top-position techniques, it seems like it requires doing a lot of little things right to maintain control. Those things, like maintaining balanced pressure, are hard to see, so it looks easy when guys do it right, but there's a reason not everyone can do it.

It seems like it's easier to escape so it probably doesn't work too often.

It's pretty easy to escape but hey the guy is fuckin huge ,i think from what i remember de lima was in half guard with his back flat on the mat also,he was probably dead tired but a decent grapplers will never do that

The guy on bottom did nothing to move his hips. Simply by framing and using some basic Jiu Jitsu will keep you from being put to sleep by this choke.

I used that exact same choke to win an amateur fight from full-mount in early ‘07. I was more chest-to-chest so that it was “hidden”. My own corner and everyone in the building including the ref didnt even know what he was tapping my back from.

It was a boss move to be done at the UFC level and that HW has legit skills grappling overall.

edit: the underhook is crucial, and the Gable grip to provide tons of leverage across the throat. Only the mat behind the head .

Yeah that doesn't work on high level guys. Props to him for getting a ufc guy with it though, that's impressive.

Back