Grappling exercises on a punchbag

Waxwingslain

oiseau rebelle
@purple
Reaction score
Ok, we have a punchbag lying around at our gym and I usually mess around on it after hitting the heavy bag. The bag is about half size, fairly solid but with some give in it.

No-one's ever shown me any drills so I've come up with stuff on my own.

* I squeeze the bag between my thighs in mount position and guard position.

I like to take a high mount and crush the guys arms together. I never bother trying to squeeze the other guy when I'm in guard but I've had people do it to me and I think it would be beneficial to develop sick bone-crushing power in my thighs.

* I practice transitions from position to position, spinning on my knee. I try to grind my knee into the bag as hard as possible while pulling up on the end of the bag.

I don't usually do this to live training partners but I'm basically aiming at being able to crush people into little piles of goo with my knee.

* I practice GnP from various positions.

I mainly use hammerfists from mount and the mount Shogun KOed Arona from. I try throwing elbows and knees from side position too.

* I practice triangle choking the bag both ways.

This is difficult as it's almost too big. Again, I'm aiming to develop horrible power in my triangle.

I'm planning to experiment with wrapping a belt around the bag and practicing collar chokes as if the bag were someone's neck and the belt the collar. Also I've tried picking the bag up and shouldering it like a fireman's carry or something.

I wonder if anyone else has any ideas/drills they use on a bag like this? Am I on the right track?

Waxwingslain said:
Ok, we have a punchbag lying around at our gym and I usually mess around on it after hitting the heavy bag. The bag is about half size, fairly solid but with some give in it.

No-one's ever shown me any drills so I've come up with stuff on my own.

* I squeeze the bag between my thighs in mount position and guard position.

I like to take a high mount and crush the guys arms together. I never bother trying to squeeze the other guy when I'm in guard but I've had people do it to me and I think it would be beneficial to develop sick bone-crushing power in my thighs.

* I practice transitions from position to position, spinning on my knee. I try to grind my knee into the bag as hard as possible while pulling up on the end of the bag.

I don't usually do this to live training partners but I'm basically aiming at being able to crush people into little piles of goo with my knee.

* I practice GnP from various positions.

I mainly use hammerfists from mount and the mount Shogun KOed Arona from. I try throwing elbows and knees from side position too.

* I practice triangle choking the bag both ways.

This is difficult as it's almost too big. Again, I'm aiming to develop horrible power in my triangle.

I'm planning to experiment with wrapping a belt around the bag and practicing collar chokes as if the bag were someone's neck and the belt the collar. Also I've tried picking the bag up and shouldering it like a fireman's carry or something.

I wonder if anyone else has any ideas/drills they use on a bag like this? Am I on the right track?

You can do throwing practice with a heavy bag. Its nice because you can go full speed and not hurt anyone.

It sucks, I'm currently injured but for some time now being meaning to do some drills alone with my bag. I plan to do Knee on belly spins from side to side, jumping from side mount, kartwheel guard passes, upa drills, wrap my old around it & practice sweeps & some collar subs.

Thanks for the replies. I expected more feedback actually. Maybe I should've just posted "How do armber LOL"...

Maybe I should have widened the topic.

Feel free to post ANY funky exercises you do to help your grappling everyone!

Elbows from sitting on the bag and with the bag in your guard. Work scissor sweep. Use it for bridging suplex practice. You can even practice drop throws if the bag has D rings, just put some rope through them and hold on to it.

GnP it like from the mount & imagine your in guard, but
try to go real hard & fast like a sprint.

It can be great for conditioning, work a few intense rounds of "slamming", shouldering, shouldering and push pressing, and then ground and pound the living shit out of it. End the session with a few rounds of "tabatha gnp". Perfect mma conditioning.

Thats cool, i do the same thing. I have a big 100lb bag and i started by taking it down after a few rounds of striking then balance it standing upright on the floor the practice my shot, get low and pick the bag up and land in mount/ side w.e i too practice gnp from diff pos. Just last week i even tried the "mach" handless kartwheel to side. That hurt the first couple times. a good thigh and endurance wrkout is just shooting and picking up over and over. any new ideas lemme know

when i was little i used to wrestle pillows.

it helped. i swear it.

Fight_Song said:
when i was little i used to wrestle pillows.

it helped. i swear it.
ha, I used to do that too. Used to do the rock bottom on stuffed toys.

TapDammit said:
Thats cool, i do the same thing. I have a big 100lb bag and i started by taking it down after a few rounds of striking then balance it standing upright on the floor the practice my shot, get low and pick the bag up and land in mount/ side w.e i too practice gnp from diff pos. Just last week i even tried the "mach" handless kartwheel to side. That hurt the first couple times. a good thigh and endurance wrkout is just shooting and picking up over and over. any new ideas lemme know

I got 100 canves bag. I am going to try these. It seems great for conditioning which I think I am lacking.

Thanks.

Wolverine
///

Back