Grappling Dummies?

i made one using the directions from that geocities site and it works fine. i would not buy one.

I was just rereading through this thread, in addition to some earlier comments I made about grappling dummies, my current school has picked one up and everyone loves it, and everyone is noticing the change in their game from doing all the extra reps with the dummy

I made my own like, a year or so ago. For a guy who has been even broker than usual lately, its been real helpful. I love being able to practice technique whenever I have one-on-one time available with it.

I actually thought about getting a dummy. They are too expensive and I am really to lazy to make one.

To the people that have dummies.

Has it really helped your game? If so in what way?

What is the best grappling dummy on the market? Is there anything worth buying out there? I figure it would be good to pick one up to help drill muscle memory when learning.... is this a realistic goal? Help a brother out. Thanks.

I have a grappling dummy that cost me almost 1000 dollars all in all. Its crap I wish I didnt buy it. It takes up space and I have absolutely no use for it...

I made my own like, a year or so ago. For a guy who has been even broker than usual lately, its been real helpful. I love being able to practice technique whenever I have one-on-one time available with it.

What kind of dummy is it? What do you use it for? Mine is wortless for anything but armbars from mount...

Can you even really practice very much with a dummy? The main problem I have with it is it doesn't provide the reactions/pressure you need. For example, if I wanted to practice a upa sweep to triangle, I wouldn't get the reactions I needed from the top man(dummy) in order to successfully practice the technique. The dummy can't post his hand out and more importantly, he doesn't provide downward pressure that a top man normally would. I understand you can practice things from on top like step-over head armbars from side control or just passing or simply drilling armbars from bottom but the biggest gap in my game is my guard and the dummy doesn't seem to give me what I'm looking for.

Can you even really practice very much with a dummy? The main problem I have with it is it doesn't provide the reactions/pressure you need. For example, if I wanted to practice a upa sweep to triangle, I wouldn't get the reactions I needed from the top man(dummy) in order to successfully practice the technique. The dummy can't post his hand out and more importantly, he doesn't provide downward pressure that a top man normally would. I understand you can practice things from on top like step-over head armbars from side control or just passing or simply drilling armbars from bottom but the biggest gap in my game is my guard and the dummy doesn't seem to give me what I'm looking for.

the only thing mine works for is lifting and armbars from mount. and gnp...

good bump. I've been meaning to dig this tread up to make one!

damn, the link is down on the make your own dummy... anyone have another link?

Crap, site's down? I always look at that site because his dummy is way better than my dummy, even though my dummy is very helpful to me.

To the guy who asked, I drill a lot on it, just do moves repetitively, chain submissions together on it, lots of different stuff.

Another bump. If anyone has a mirror of the geocities page that shows how to make your own, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone have experience with this one?
Submission Master Grappling Dummy/ Jiu Jitsu Dummy For BJJ & MMA

I hate having to think about the steps to a move because I haven't done them enough to NOT have to think about it. I drilled the triangle for just a half hour or so during one class and the gains I saw just from the heightened understanding I got from it was incredible.
Since that class the triangle (from spider guard, closed guard and even when people are trying to pass) is my "go-to" move and is the #1 thing I submit people with.

Other things I could drill:
(From closed guard) Omoplata, kimura, guillotine, cross collar (and variations), armbars.
Could probably practice a few sweeps, some transitions/escapes.
Armbar from top, KOB transitions, etc.

Thoughts?

Anyone have experience with this one?
Submission Master Grappling Dummy/ Jiu Jitsu Dummy For BJJ & MMA

I hate having to think about the steps to a move because I haven't done them enough to NOT have to think about it. I drilled the triangle for just a half hour or so during one class and the gains I saw just from the heightened understanding I got from it was incredible.
Since that class the triangle (from spider guard, closed guard and even when people are trying to pass) is my "go-to" move and is the #1 thing I submit people with.

Other things I could drill:
(From closed guard) Omoplata, kimura, guillotine, cross collar (and variations), armbars.
Could probably practice a few sweeps, some transitions/escapes.
Armbar from top, KOB transitions, etc.

Thoughts?

I have one. Just put on a nice Gi on it and you're good to go. I use it for reps after going to classes...

i own one - i use it as follows

20 minute drill where i repeat different moves like armbar, pancake reversals, triangle, etc etc

i hang it up from the ceiling and weight the feet down and do combos - boxing. MT, amd lota of single and double legs.

practice new moves from the class before

remeber this is supplimentary but very benificial, get to class and practice your shit here.

I have the OK blue dummy http://www.trainingdummies.com/delux.shtml i bought the 50 lbs version

Mine's the submission master. it's 75lbs. 100% agree to your post!

I got my PRO Submission Master Dummy a week ago, I've used it every day since then. It's a little weird at first honestly, but once you get use to it, it's not too bad. So far everything you can do with a rolling partner you can do on this dummy.

The only complaint I'd have against it is the fact that the shoulders and hips are much wider than a humans, but working harder for a arm/leg triangle may make it easier on a live opponent after a while, we'll see. And using him for chain drills works pretty well too.

There's two places you can buy him from, Pro Boxing Equipment, or Submission Master .net. I personally wanted to get him from where he's made, which is Proboxing. He was about $500 with shipping, and took about a full month to be delivered. He's 75lb, so he gives me a good workout.

If you do decide to get one however, to maximize drills and usage of this dummy I would recommend a few things. I would suggest a minimum of a 10X10 space or mat (you will want a mat or elbow and knee protectors). Also I bought a rash guard from target for my dummy, I got him a size up from me which was LX. And I just threw my $30 Gracie Academy GI bottoms on him for hygiene mainly.

Other than that, I love him and I think he'll really keep my game sharp.

Make your own for cheap.

I've made 4 myself. They get better every time.

Back