Grappling Dummies

M@sato

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I have done a search on this, but most of the threads are a couple of years old and frankly I didn't really find much useful information on them.

In any case, does anybody here have much experience with them? Specifically Judo players? I've been thinking of getting one to use for uchi-komi/nage-komi drills when I don't have a partner, and maybe utilize it for conditioning purposes as well (running lifts, squats etc). Hell I could use it for GnP practice as well I suppose, although a heavy bag lying flat on the mat works just as well.

Here's a link at the ones I'm looking at: Legend Grappling Dummies

There's a solid based one more suited for throwing, and a legged one as well. I think I'd prefer the legged one, as it probably gives you more options in regard to training exercises etc...although I'm also wondering if the legged dummy will be difficult to "throw" if they can't stand up by themselves. They are rather expensive as well, but if they're highly beneficial I don't mind paying for it. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

As a thought...you could always bind the legged ones legs at the feet with a belt or similar...that would give you the sturdiness of the non-legged one for throws, giving you the best of both worlds.

As a thought...you could always bind the legged ones legs at the feet with a belt or similar...that would give you the sturdiness of the non-legged one for throws, giving you the best of both worlds.

A non-legged grappling dummy? Hope I don't cause offense but the first thing that popped into my head was "Is that the Kyle Maynard signature edition?" :icon_neut

good idea.

This interactive grappling dummy gives has an element of realism that is unparalleled. It'll give you its limb, scream in pain and even tap giving it an effect that you're fighting a real person. Check it out:

sonnen.jpg

P.S. Even Bruce Willis pops out of nowhere when you use it cause it's just so damn kool

Thanks for the tip man, not a bad idea!

This interactive grappling dummy gives has an element of realism that is unparalleled. It'll give you its limb, scream in pain and even tap giving it an effect that you're fighting a real person. Check it out:

sonnen.jpg

P.S. Even Bruce Willis pops out of nowhere when you use it cause it's just so damn kool

^LOL...that was great. :icon_chee

Hmm, so anyone here actually use a grappling dummy to supplement their training before? I'm not totally sold on whether it's beneficial or just gimmicky yet. It sounds interesting though.

I've always wondered myself. Some people like them...others...well...don't.

I know not many people on here are fans of Lloyd Irvin...myself included...but you have to respect the level of training he gives his guys. And they are all champions in sport BJJ. One of these reasons is they sit there each class and DRILL moves...up to 2,500 times in order to learn them, and develop muscle memory to do them instinctively.

That's extremely important IMO...and trying to find a partner that will sit there and do a drill for that long...ever...is near impossible. I know, because I try all the time. And guys would rather just roll.

So honestly? It sounds like a great idea to me.

I'd prefer one more along the lines of:

Bubba

To give a proper answer this time: I've often thought that I could probably improve a number of techniques with the help of a grappling dummy, coz I do loads of solo drills just watching telly or whatever, but I really couldn't justify what a grappling dummy is to anyone who came to my house. Even saying "no homo" just wouldn't cut it.

To give a proper answer this time: I've often thought that I could probably improve a number of techniques with the help of a grappling dummy, coz I do loads of solo drills just watching telly or whatever, but I really couldn't justify what a grappling dummy is to anyone who came to my house. Even saying "no homo" just wouldn't cut it.

Ditto on that, bring a random girl home who stumbles into "Bubba" and you may get strange looks to say the least, though I recognise there are advantages to having one.

I think its one of those things you buy and use a lot at first, but after like 6 months you maybe use it once or twice a month, then after that, it really just takes up space.

A word of warning. We have a dummy similar to the unlegged one on their site. Someone tried to armbar it and the stitching on the arms began to pop. It may be good for practicing transitions and GnP but not armbars. Though their model may be different.

i dont have a grappling dummy

but i sometimes practise on a small punchbag ive got. i can do things like armbar from mount on it and practise side control etc.

i had another idea of just stuffing my gi top with clothes and then practising chokes on it.

not exactly perfect but its better than nothing.

I just got a new position at work that has added 2 hours to my commuting time every day, so I am finding it harder to make it to class. I decided that I would try my hand at making a grappling dummy. Last night I finished making the arms and legs, so I would guess that I am about half-way through (maybe more). Depending on my level of motivation, I may finish it up this weekend.

I feel very awkward doing simple moves, like armbars from guard, sweeps, etc. Like someone said, I am hoping that this will allow me to get in tons of reps on things like this. Hopefully it works and I haven't been wasting my time and money.

So far I have spent about $100 on supplies, some of which I didn't need. Probably have spent a couple of hours wandering around dollar stores and the Home Depot + 4 hours on construction.

why dont u just buy a huge teddy bear or something and stuff it into a gi?

cheaper, and you get to armbar bears

I've always wondered myself. Some people like them...others...well...don't.

I know not many people on here are fans of Lloyd Irvin...myself included...but you have to respect the level of training he gives his guys. And they are all champions in sport BJJ. One of these reasons is they sit there each class and DRILL moves...up to 2,500 times in order to learn them, and develop muscle memory to do them instinctively.

That's extremely important IMO...and trying to find a partner that will sit there and do a drill for that long...ever...is near impossible. I know, because I try all the time. And guys would rather just roll.

So honestly? It sounds like a great idea to me.

I'd prefer one more along the lines of:

Bubba

I use this one, so far it's been pretty good.

dirtyblowupdoll.jpg

yeh defo, shes already pulled guard

if i ever have a grappling dummy it would have to be female

you know... just in case...

In all seriousness I have two dummies....one I made and I bought the other one. I use them at least four days a week. I go over all my basic techniques with them....I have gi's on both of them. It is hard to find someone willing to allow you to cross choke them a 100 times.

Back