1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Grappling, Braces and Mouth Guards

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Gerbiljiujitsu, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

I recently got braces and after having my mouth shredded last night I've decided I want to get a mouth piece.

I grabbed one of the spare mouth pieces that I brought from the States (I'm in Brazil) and molded it. The thing is, it fits very tightly and it's a pain in the ass to get off, I'm kind of worried that I might peel off one of the brackets and that would not be ideal.

My questions is, does anyone have experience with molding a regular mouth piece while wearing braces.

Also, does anyone have any tips of tricks for preventing cuts in your mouth while grappling?

Thanks in advance.

2. ItsArun

ItsArun Green Belt

Hey Gerbil,

I've had braces on for years during training. At first I didn't bother wearing a mouthpiece, but then I caught an accidental elbow which caused one of my wires to stick out of my mouth (!).

When I started using mouthpieces I did the same process you did (whatever was cheap, then molded it myself). They all worked like a charm, and I did experience that tightness you were referring to. I never had any of my braces come off as a result.

& yes, whenever I'd forget my mouthpiece I'd always walk away with a bloody mouth...not fun! The only way I prevented cuts was from using a mouthpiece.

3. ESCunningham

ESCunningham White Belt

I used to wear a normal molded guard back when I played football, never really had much of a problem with it. Though I know they make special mouth guards for people with braces. For instance:

Shock Doctor Braces Strapless Mouth Guard 4100A - WePlay Sports

if the regular molded guards aren't working out, give one of these a shot.

4. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

My mate put some folded up plastic bag between the mouthguard and his teeth when he molded it, so it doesn' fit as snuggly in the front, he kinda gotta keeps his mouth shut for it to stay in place thou

5. Gerbiljiujitsu

thanks for the feedback on this guys, I need it.

I see that they make those specific mouth guards and if I knew a place to buy one here I would go get it, but even the shitty 97 cent mouth pieces that we buy in the states are like 20 reis here...again, I'd pay what ever the stupid cost if I could walk to the store and buy it.

I'm only going to have the braces for 3 months, so it's not that bad, but I dont want to slow down on my training either.

Also, did you guys remold your mouth pieces every couple of weeks? I assume my teeth are going to move around and it wont fit as snuggly

6. ItsArun

ItsArun Green Belt

In my opinion, the cheap mouthguards worked just as fine as the expensive ones. I wouldn't re-mold the mouthpieces (too much hassle), I would just buy new ones. If I were you, I would buy 2 or 3 and mold them each month.

7. BruceOnJuice

BruceOnJuice Blue Belt

White belt question here, how do you mold a mouth guard and can you mold any mouth guard? Thank you.

8. iheartthemount

iheartthemount Blue Belt

put it in boiling water for like 90 seconds, rinse it under cold water briefly and then put it in your mouth for a while and chomp down hard.

well i'd imagine you can do it with any plastic but best to do it with one that fits your mouth and reads "mold able mouth guard"

for me mouth guards are the most expensive part of my game. i bite down hard sometimes and run through them like 1 every three months. i dont even buy nice ones anymore.

9. Steeltwo

Steeltwo Green Belt

Asked a guy who had braces in football and he said to form a normal mouth guard to fit braces, it will never fit correctly.

But, instead of creating a vacuum in your mouth while it is still hot, just push it on and create a positive air pressure in you mouth by filling your cheeks with air. . It will push the mouth guard out slightly. He said it works better than just pushing it on, but it won't work great.

Might be worth a mail order.

10. RJ Green

RJ Green Black Belt

i did judo for 2 years with braces and no mouthguard. it wasn't horrible.

11. Steeltwo

Steeltwo Green Belt

boil and bite ones are the same as football mouth guards.

Heat up, bite and suck the air out of your mouth. Hold for 15-20 seconds usually.

If you go too a dentist, they can get you a real formed mouth guard that works WAAAY better and doesn't impede breathing all that much.

Those can not be reformed once they are cast.

12. BruceOnJuice

BruceOnJuice Blue Belt

Thanks man!

13. codysweet02

codysweet02 Brown Belt

I had a guy knock his fake tooth out on my forehead. If he had braces we both would have been fucked. It could be VERY horrible.

Gerbil, I *THINK* they have mouth guards made for braces at Dicks/Big 5 etc. sporting goods stores. Maybe Dennis can get a hold of someone who is moving into the house soon and have him grab one up for you.

14. iheartthemount

iheartthemount Blue Belt

np man. I can tell you though that buying a cheap one opposed to a 40$ one makes no difference (imo). The only different I have noticed is that sometimes when i buy a 50$ one opposed to a 10$ is down the road I can sometimes remold it again when i wear it out.

Like people said you can go to a dentist and get a nice one. You you have problems breathing or I know I work with some students who get like phobic when putting them in their mouth, then going to a dentist is certainly another idea.

Find someone who has a wholesale account with century. Those 40$ fuckers only really cost 20$ wholesale and im sure even less for century to pay for.

15. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

You gotta be kidding... I feel ripped off.

16. DiscipleOfPog

DiscipleOfPog Green Belt

When I had braces I used a regular old Everlast double mouth guard you can get from any sports store. Worked fine.

17. Graunie

Graunie Blue Belt

I have a way better solution. When I had braces my orthodontist gave me this plastic stuff that looks like weather striping. It was for when the wax wasn't good enough. It came in a long piece and was meant to go over one or two brackets when cut to length. I cut one to go across my top row of front teeth and it worked awesome.

18. Gerbiljiujitsu

someone else mentioned this to me, I'm going to have to look for this and give it a try.

19. Q mystic

Q mystic Silver Belt

packing up top front, in 2 weeks, 2 canines and thats it. Any help here is good. Thanks.:icon_lol:

Thinking mouthgaurd and know I do have to take my partial out.

Getting married in a few weeks and thinking +1 vampyre.lol

20. Kenny from MD

Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Adult braces??? Youve been in Brazil way too long my friend