Grappling as a Olympic sport!

I'd love to see submission grappling and/or pankration in the olympics, as long as the rules were designed to be fair to all styles

I'd love to see submission grappling and/or pankration in the olympics, as long as the rules were designed to be fair to all styles

Judo and wrestling are already in the Olympics, and most of the time this "be fair to all styles" is simply a codeword for "make it easier for wrestlers and judoka." I don't want the rules fair to any style. I want them true to the spirit of winning by submission. It is submission wrestling, after all. I don't care if your style makes that harder because you don't train submissions as much.

Sub wrestling would be great to see in the olympics however having FILA make the rules doesn't seem like a good idea....

Judo and wrestling are already in the Olympics, and most of the time this "be fair to all styles" is simply a codeword for "make it easier for wrestlers and judoka." I don't want the rules fair to any style. I want them true to the spirit of winning by submission. It is submission wrestling, after all. I don't care if your style makes that harder because you don't train submissions as much.

Too many namby pamby guys run the olympics. Its like in Judo, they dont allow much time for ground game or even someone to pull guard.

Its so irritating.

Have you ever seen dressage?

Yup i know what you mean iam not disagreeing with you i am thinking about the people on the olympic conmmitee you would have to convince the older auidience you would have to convince and so on .

Then theres the athletes would the big mma orgs let there best grapplers go ? drug testing and who would pass and the styles going into the event cuz you know there would be a stand up rule that alot of styles wouldnt want .

If they could pull it off to make everyone happy go for it , just nothing i see in the near future that would make me think it could happen.

As for a form of prankration in the oylmpics it wouldnt fly to many fights to many injuries to have clear cut winner .

(unpopular opinion coming up)

I think if the IOC decided to add sub grappling to the mix it would have to be a spectator friendly sport.

We know a sub only sport would not be popular as NO one would want to tolerate hour long matches. Then you add points, so who's point system do you use?
BJJ? Then its a BJJ comp
Judo?
Wrestling?
You get my drift, if the point system is biased one way or the other people will be butt hurt over them.

Remember it has to be relevant for not just fans of MMA but for the masses as well.

Unfortunately that is why they wiped out much of the ground work in Judo(and even wrestling) in the 1st place.

Also you have to take the context of the article and keep it in perspective.
The article basically is stating that the rise of MMA may help push sub grappling onto the olympic stage.
In MMA there is no penalty for taking your guy down beating on him a bit and standing back up.

There is no penalty for thorwing a guy hard and then working for a quick sub.

There is no penalty for jumping to guard off the clinch trying to pull off a sub or sweep.

So how do you get a a gappling only sport to emulate the diversity of a MMA match?

Diverse rules.

If you want a groundfighting comp. then call it what it is, groundfighting not grappling.

Grappling is all ranges and it has equal importance.

The end goal is submission but as you get closer in skill level the submissions will be fewer and farer between, therefore points come into the mix.

Thats the end of my rant.

Yup i know what you mean iam not disagreeing with you i am thinking about the people on the olympic conmmitee you would have to convince the older auidience you would have to convince and so on .

Then theres the athletes would the big mma orgs let there best grapplers go ? drug testing and who would pass and the styles going into the event cuz you know there would be a stand up rule that alot of styles wouldnt want .

If they could pull it off to make everyone happy go for it , just nothing i see in the near future that would make me think it could happen.

As for a form of prankration in the oylmpics it wouldnt fly to many fights to many injuries to have clear cut winner .

True. Esp the last point: MMA and pankration will never be in the Olympics in our lifetime- there are way too many sensationalists out there to allow it.

On a side note: I swear if I hear/read the term "human cockfighting" one more time...

True. Esp the last point: MMA and pankration will never be in the Olympics in our lifetime- there are way too many sensationalists out there to allow it.

On a side note: I swear if I hear/read the term "human cockfighting" one more time...

I believe that was Mc Cain that started that YEARS ago...remember that come election time.
:icon_twis

Your other point is valid as well. there are MMA events every month, Combat Sambo, Pankration but yet somehow with the worlds best athletes and presumably best referees it would be too violent/brutal/dangerous to allow in the Olympics.

Yeah right!

they have two forms of western wrestlign and judo.. Heck sambo will make it before anything resembling adcc/bjj gets' in.

(unpopular opinion coming up)

I think if the IOC decided to add sub grappling to the mix it would have to be a spectator friendly sport.

We know a sub only sport would not be popular as NO one would want to tolerate hour long matches. Then you add points, so who's point system do you use?
BJJ? Then its a BJJ comp
Judo?
Wrestling?
You get my drift, if the point system is biased one way or the other people will be butt hurt over them.

Remember it has to be relevant for not just fans of MMA but for the masses as well.

Unfortunately that is why they wiped out much of the ground work in Judo(and even wrestling) in the 1st place.

Also you have to take the context of the article and keep it in perspective.
The article basically is stating that the rise of MMA may help push sub grappling onto the olympic stage.
In MMA there is no penalty for taking your guy down beating on him a bit and standing back up.

There is no penalty for thorwing a guy hard and then working for a quick sub.

There is no penalty for jumping to guard off the clinch trying to pull off a sub or sweep.

So how do you get a a gappling only sport to emulate the diversity of a MMA match?

Diverse rules.

If you want a groundfighting comp. then call it what it is, groundfighting not grappling.

Grappling is all ranges and it has equal importance.

The end goal is submission but as you get closer in skill level the submissions will be fewer and farer between, therefore points come into the mix.

Thats the end of my rant.

Ya, I mean we wouldn't want to have judoka or wrestlers butt-hurt, since they won't be able to go to Olympics... oh wait... :rolleyes: Creating rules so other styles don't feel left out will turn grappling into "people not good enough at judo or wrestling." Wrestlers and Judoka don't care about catering to other styles. Why should grapplers care about catering to them? The fact is, common BJJ rules are the most style-agnostic rules among the styles. They aren't perfect, but they do a much better job of being balanced than judo or wrestling.

Sub grappling would be nice But you have to think of what the public would think of it . the re gualr joe shmoe would prob throw out the "gay remarks" or think its boring cuz of what they see .

Iam not saying it wouldnt be amazing just thinking of what the masses would think .

Dude wrestlers would get way more gay remarks just cause of the singlets lol. Wearing like board shorts and a rashguard or something looks less gay then the singlet for sure. Oh well fuck those people anyways, it beats out tae kwon doe anyday :D

Ya, I mean we wouldn't want to have judoka or wrestlers butt-hurt, since they won't be able to go to Olympics... oh wait... :rolleyes: Creating rules so other styles don't feel left out will turn grappling into "people not good enough at judo or wrestling." Wrestlers and Judoka don't care about catering to other styles. Why should grapplers care about catering to them? The fact is, common BJJ rules are the most style-agnostic rules among the styles. They aren't perfect, but they do a much better job of being balanced than judo or wrestling.

Everyone is has a right to an opinion, and there is yours.

Thanks for adding.

Dude wrestlers would get way more gay remarks just cause of the singlets lol. Wearing like board shorts and a rashguard or something looks less gay then the singlet for sure. Oh well fuck those people anyways, it beats out tae kwon doe anyday :D

they prob do but iam not talkinga bout looks iam talking about the positions bjj guys get in obviously i could care less but you gotta think of the auidience , fucking idiots that watch ufc make fun of north south position .

I believe that was Mc Cain that started that YEARS ago...remember that come election time.
:icon_twis

Your other point is valid as well. there are MMA events every month, Combat Sambo, Pankration but yet somehow with the worlds best athletes and presumably best referees it would be too violent/brutal/dangerous to allow in the Olympics.

Yeah right!

its not that pankration wouldnt be a cool thing and i dont think it being brutal would be that bad either , Its how they sanction everything , how the heck would they have the fights?? they couldnt have 5 divsions and then have what 10 competitors fight over a week period .

they would have to have olympic trials but how long would that take and what about pay ? Its hard enough for struggling fighters to make money and time to train , do you really thinkt he top mma guys would say fuck ufc or dream iam going to train for the olympics and fight for free ?

of course they would have sponsers But would it even work ?? i doubt it .

an mma event thats olympic size couldnt work period

I'd agree with that. In fact, I'm now in the camp that says there shouldn't be points awarded at all in submission grappling ... the idea is to get a submission, just like idea in hockey is to score a goal. You don't get part points in hockey for a nice-end-to-end rush that doesn't score. I used to think that the problem was the matches would either end in draws or take too long, but it seems in tournaments that have tried it that most matches end fairly quickly anyway.

I'd also get rid of a few of the no-standup from ground rules in some forms of submission grappling ... if you can't keep someone on the ground, that's your problem, they should be allowed to stand up and try for a throw/takedown into side control, etc. And I think you could probably get rid of the stalling rules, simply because there'd be no point ... without giving points you can't get a point advantage and sit on it, so it'll force people to keep active.

Submission grappling is becoming almost as bad as judo for weird penalties and funny scores (passing guard etc is like the koka/yuko etc in judo), and people play for it, just as in judo most competitors don't try for the big throw, but are just looking for the koka and then defend route. It's been bad for judo - they should go back to ippon or nothing, just like submission grappling should be submission or nothing. And the ippons should be like before the 80's, when it basically meant the guy landed hard enough that he bounced at least twice to earn an ippon. Get rid of the illegal grip rules they added in the 80's and 90's to judo too.

And yeah, its been a bad day at work and I have to rant about something :mad:

I haven't read this whole thread, and this might be out of place, but I would much rather see MMA in the Olympics than submission grappling.

Its a puff piece. I read an article on here where someone went into detail as to why BJJ would not become an olympic sport and it seems like it also is relevant to "grappling". Unfortunatly i do not have the link anymore.

I would be happy if it replaced one of the wrestling styles already at the olympics (sans Judo) but with the olympics looking to eliminate sports (baseball/softball) I do not see it happening in the near future

I'd agree with that. In fact, I'm now in the camp that says there shouldn't be points awarded at all in submission grappling ... the idea is to get a submission, just like idea in hockey is to score a goal. You don't get part points in hockey for a nice-end-to-end rush that doesn't score. I used to think that the problem was the matches would either end in draws or take too long, but it seems in tournaments that have tried it that most matches end fairly quickly anyway.

I'd also get rid of a few of the no-standup from ground rules in some forms of submission grappling ... if you can't keep someone on the ground, that's your problem, they should be allowed to stand up and try for a throw/takedown into side control, etc. And I think you could probably get rid of the stalling rules, simply because there'd be no point ... without giving points you can't get a point advantage and sit on it, so it'll force people to keep active.

Submission grappling is becoming almost as bad as judo for weird penalties and funny scores (passing guard etc is like the koka/yuko etc in judo), and people play for it, just as in judo most competitors don't try for the big throw, but are just looking for the koka and then defend route. It's been bad for judo - they should go back to ippon or nothing, just like submission grappling should be submission or nothing. And the ippons should be like before the 80's, when it basically meant the guy landed hard enough that he bounced at least twice to earn an ippon. Get rid of the illegal grip rules they added in the 80's and 90's to judo too.

And yeah, its been a bad day at work and I have to rant about something :mad:

Exactamundo!!!!

QFT

And that is my point. If we are wanting Sub grappling as an olympic sport then eliminate the points all together and grappler until someone gives. Dont use criteria from any style ..if a guy wants to get up, let him...If he wants to throw and try for fast subs or control..let him..if he wants to pull guard..go for it... but as soon as you put in a point system you are going to turn it into something else..judo, wrestling, bjj etc...

I have always beena beleiver in a "grappling" match that every aspect is as important as the other. If you cannot defend or make a takedown, thats bad, if you cannot stop an escape or standup thats bad, if you cant control or submit your opponent thats bad as well.

Point is grappling is every range from the feet to the ground and back again. My vision of an event like this is geared more towards a complete grappler but depending on what kind of rule set goes in it would favor one over the other....

Anyway it is early, figure Id get my shots in...and I like the no points rule and most everything else george said.

Back