grappling and piercings.

I have a 6mm PA and have never ever had any problems at all with graplling, and I dont wear a box either.

As for MMA and Thai - I wear a box and I still have no trouble. But I wouldnt roll with nipple, belly, or facial piercings. But then I dont have those.

i have my eye brow pierced and i take it out for anything i do when i walk in the gym. Anything is bound to get ripped out if its not covered like on the ears but anything on the face is def a bad idea.

There is no upside to this situation, rolling with piercings is like trying to remove pubes with a blow torch

there's this new guy that trains with us and has 2 ear rings, eye brow ring and lip ring and doesn't take any of them out to box or grapple. I'd be scared it would hurt.

there's this new guy that trains with us and has 2 ear rings, eye brow ring and lip ring and doesn't take any of them out to box or grapple. I'd be scared it would hurt.

That's just stupid, at some point one or the other is gonna get ripped out.

A new/fresh piercing is going to give you problems, esp on the face...

First off, after you get it, most piercers recommend that you do not take the jewerly out for at least 2 weeks, in order to let the piercing heal...
Because essentially a fresh piercing is an open wound, and if you are constantly irrirating it (by taking the jewerly in/out) you are going to have a really heard time healing it out. Additionally, if you do deside to get it...you should wait at least 2 weeks to let it heal (although it take 6 months to a year to actually form a fistual...that allows you to take the jewerly in/out without the hole closing up right away)...
And if you decide to go back after 2 weeks and take the jewerly out while rolling...you may find that the hole has srunk (thus making it difficult to get teh jewerly back in) and that the hole has closed completely...

Secondly facial piercing are a bitch in BJJ. Regardless of what you put in there (plug, retainer, etc) it is only going to be a matter of time before it gets caught on/in something and gets pulled (or at worst ripped out)

I have know a few guys with eyebrow, lip rings, etc and they rolled with them in...lets just say that it did not go well...

Myself, i have a bull ring...but i had it for about 5 years before i started training. So i can safely take it out for long periods of time and not have to worry about the piercing hole closing up...so i do not have to worry

Anyway...it is up to you...
I would also echo the statements made by others here...

It is a choice...do you want to get a new piercing or do you want to roll!?

yeah i think ill just get a new tat instead of piercing. long story short, going through a divorce, and immediately want to go out and get something that the wife disapproved of.

I used to have my eyebrow done 3 times, took that out as soon as I started training.

Gotta make commitments man.

I had my septum done and I used to take it out before and put it back in after class, but after a few months I said forget it.

With tattoo's wait at least 10 days before rolling, and when you do wrap it up.

If you have or thinking about getting a piercing thats fine, just make sure you don't roll with it in. I mean its a pain to take them out, but its better than ripping your face up. After your done rolling take a shower, then make sure you clean the jewlery and area before putting it back in and its fine. As long as you take care of it and don't let it go you should be fine

if you want to fight in the future it can't be good either, like a pierced eybrow that shit has gotta open up easier then an unpierced one, even if you have taken the stud out and it has regrown

I knew a guy with a lebret (sp?) piercing that wore it every damn day he trained and the dumbass ended up with a bloody lip every time.

What a retard.

i have my ear lobes stretched to 1/2". i just take my tunnels or plugs out when i train and pop them back in after i've gotten a shower. it's not a hassle at all.

if your stuff is sufficiently healed then it shouldn't be an issue.

i have my ear lobes stretched to 1/2". i just take my tunnels or plugs out when i train and pop them back in after i've gotten a shower. it's not a hassle at all.

if your stuff is sufficiently healed then it shouldn't be an issue.

the healing time is the killer

so ive been tossing up the idea of getting a lip ring, but i train bjj often and am worried about any "accidents" that might happen.

does anyone have facial piercings and train with them in? i dont want to take off training for the full time its healing. are there safe studs out there that would minimize the chance it could get caught or ripped out?

grappling and piercing don't mix.

used to have a brow peirced but got sick of taking it out for bjj.

not worth the risk....

yeah i think ill just get a new tat instead of piercing. long story short, going through a divorce, and immediately want to go out and get something that the wife disapproved of.

Sorry to hear about your situation man...that sucks (or maybe it doesnt...i do not know what the situation is)

You would most likely be better off getting a tattoo...
Wait 10-14 days after getting inked before going back! Other will tell you to go back sooner...but trust me...it you go back early and the tattoo is not completely healed, you are going to have to go back and get it re-inked anyway (as you will most likely pull off some scabs which will pull out the fresh ink) or worse case cause scaring (esp bad on fine line work) which will make your tattoo look like crap!

When you do go back if it is not completely healed, wrap the area up in a clean tensor banage and you should be good to go!

good luck man!

Back