Grapplers Workout

Diligent said:
"HO!, ho, Hohohooo, you made me mad! I almost like it!" -guy at phone booth in Dumb and Dumber

"Get off the phone.........get off the phone!"

I was thinking about this type of workout this morning. Maybe the execises could be tweaked, and for sure I don't like the same weight through out, but could this in some way be a good way to simulate the muscle strain during a match just with heavier loads? I do like the idea of X amount of exercises, 1 set each, and little rest in between. Mind you, this is not an optimal strength program, but maybe for a fighter that needs something and doesn't have the time for a powerlifting routine?

Sean S said:
I was thinking about this type of workout this morning. Maybe the execises could be tweaked, and for sure I don't like the same weight through out, but could this in some way be a good way to simulate the muscle strain during a match just with heavier loads? I do like the idea of X amount of exercises, 1 set each, and little rest in between. Mind you, this is not an optimal strength program, but maybe for a fighter that needs something and doesn't have the time for a powerlifting routine?

Sean, Yes you can tweak it fit your needs. Again as we talked yesterday this is only one day out of 8 weeks.

I thought Cosgrove's article was pretty good. All of the lifts made sense and were multijoint movement's. I think complexes are good when I am too tired/overtrained to train mma or to have a powerlifting based workout. I mean the loads are light enough, yet the exercises are rigorous enough to get a good workout in a a very short amount of time. It's seems like it's a perfect active recovery workout for me or it could supplement an mma training session if I can't make it for some reason. All of this being said, I have never done these before, and no offense to the original poster but I definately like Cosgrove's Complexes better. Good thread anyway. I plan to incorparate these once or twice a week.

My understanding of complex training is that you are matching a strength exercise with a plyo exercise, i.e. squat and box jump, bench and plyo pushup. The idea is to use these during a power conversion phase, you fatigue the muscle with a less then max lift, followed by an explosive plyo exercise done at max speed. This example seems more like a blend between circuit and complex training, the reduced rest would stess the CV system more than a traditional circuit, but less than TB's. I like the idea, and have been thinking about adding some type of complex training. Ross Enimait has a good article on complex training, he combines an isometric "punch" followed by a med ball punch.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing5.htm

big toe: That is "complex training" as oposed to a "barbel complex or a dumbell complex".. 2 different things and both are interesting...

krellik said:
big toe: That is "complex training" as oposed to a "barbel complex or a dumbell complex".. 2 different things and both are interesting...

Ahhh, got it. Thanks.

By the way when we are discusing complexes. What do you guys think about the "Team quest complex" ?(from the team quest workout dvd)

It is 8 reps of: Bent over row, upright row, military press, good morning, split squat left and right, quarter squat and push press, straight leged deadlift. Opinions on it?

I tried it a few times this summer and it kicked my ass pretty good... The conditioning routine that kicked my ass most this summer was actually 2 ronds of this complex, 2 rounds of heavy punching bag shouldering and push press, 2 rounds of heavybag ground and pound, 2 rounds of core training (1 of v ups, one of plank), and finaly a tabatha interval of push press (2 minute rounds). That routine really kicked my ass hadcore, it was the most memorable moment of this summer actually. I did it with my friend who is an maraton runner, he agreed to do this workout with me if he could take me out running afterwards, let me just say that he didnt want to run after it...;)

krellik said:
By the way when we are discusing complexes. What do you guys think about the "Team quest complex" ?(from the team quest workout dvd)

It is 8 reps of: Bent over row, upright row, military press, good morning, split squat left and right, quarter squat and push press, straight leged deadlift. Opinions on it?

I tried it a few times this summer and it kicked my ass pretty good... The conditioning routine that kicked my ass most this summer was actually 2 ronds of this complex, 2 rounds of heavy punching bag shouldering and push press, 2 rounds of heavybag ground and pound, 2 rounds of core training (1 of v ups, one of plank), and finaly a tabatha interval of push press (2 minute rounds). That routine really kicked my ass hadcore, it was the most memorable moment of this summer actually. I did it with my friend who is an maraton runner, he agreed to do this workout with me if he could take me out running afterwards, let me just say that he didnt want to run after it...;)
Do you do 1 bent row then 1 up row then 1 military ect.
Or
Do you do 8 bent rows then 8 up rows then 8 military ect?

I also have a question about bears. If I wanted to do a routine with bears what kind of reps and sets and rest time would you guys recommend? And how many days a week?

I reccomend you treat bears like burpees. you can do a pyramid (a la prison workout) or a set number in a certain amount of time, or whatever.

how many days a week would you do them if you grappled 3 days a week?

sambo fighter said:
Do you do 1 bent row then 1 up row then 1 military ect.
Or
Do you do 8 bent rows then 8 up rows then 8 military ect?

Its 8 bent, 8 military, etc

Any grappler who does upright rows appareantly would be better off having someone slap on a kimura on him. Same thing anyway, might as well wreck your shoulders in sparring or competition.

i really like urbans idea's...and he was being compeletly resonable, wenis, is a troll, and a post whore

BabyPhenom said:
Any grappler who does upright rows appareantly would be better off having someone slap on a kimura on him. Same thing anyway, might as well wreck your shoulders in sparring or competition.
What about subing the upright rows for high pulls or power cleans?

Well, for the moment, I'm with Urban on this one, I don't like this routine, but perhaps that's only because I don't fully understand it.

If this is for a muscular endurance conversion phase, why are the reps so low? Bompa suggests in his literature this range:
M-E Short: 10-30 reps
M-E Medium: 30-60 reps
M-E Long: 100-150+ reps

There may be 66 repetitions per set in the barbell complex, but to work medium endurance, one must tax the same muscle group in this range of repetitions; because this complex rotates muscle groups throughout the entire body, often alternating between repeated groups, I do not see how muscular endurance is improved; it seems to me the benefits would mostly be to cardiorespiratory system.

Using good mornings as an "active recovery" also doesn't make sense to me, since it was my understanding that active recovery depended on alternating between agonist and antagonist (because the opposing muscle group, when contracted, squeezes lactic acid of the original muscle group), but the Good Morning would be a great active recovery for weighted crunches or some other abdominal exercise, not squats, snatches, and rows.

Finally, I also don't understand the same weight being used throughout the routine. Although Bompa has his athletes doing exceptionally high numbers of repetitions in muscular endurance conversion phases, he still operats on 1RM load percentages: only for much higher repetition numbers (where there is more give and take with the percentages, but where they are still useful).

Perhaps you can address my reservations about adopting a program like this, Grappler's Gym?

Back