Grapplers Workout

Thats Fair...Remember this is endurance not strength we are working on. I can tell you that I know guys who can only do the DB workout with 25-30lbs and they are in good shape. You are doing 84 reps straight and then resting for 30seconds - 2 minutes and repeating.

Again, Think endurance not strength training. Look at the triceps more as an active rest for your lower body.

I personally like the DB workouts better but i posted it for everyone....

grapplers gym said:
Thats Fair...Remember this is endurance not strength we are working on. I can tell you that I know guys who can only do the DB workout with 25-30lbs and they are in good shape. You are doing 84 reps straight and then resting for 30seconds - 2 minutes and repeating.

Again, Think endurance not strength training. Look at the triceps more as an active rest for your lower body.

I personally like the DB workouts better but i posted it for everyone....

Fair enough. Seems interesting though.

Complexes are dumb. there I said it. I held back for what? like two days? they're dumb. the exception are really good ones like Bears: clean + frontsquat + pushupress + back squat + pushpress, repeat. One rep each. You can use these things like you would burpees. This other horse pucky... well, it's dumb.

of course its dumb urban. anything that doesnt promote a bigger 1 rep max, even resembles conditioning, and would make you puke up your lunch is dumb

Hey! Fuck off. I offered an alternative. all you're offering is some more of your fucking criticism. If I ever met you, you can rest assured I'd never speak to you wenis, cause your communication skills and inferiority complex is aggrivating to no end. And if you ever interupted me with your shitty attitude so you could tell me how wrong I am, you can rest assured I'd kick you in the balls without a second thought. I'm tired of your shit. that post conveys 1 of two things, that you seem to be under the impression that you're the only open minded person here, and you're the last bastion of hope for new and better training methods. or (and more likely to be the case) that you are going out of your way, following me around trying to make me look foolish.

You're in cali, so if you want to meet personally, I can probably find some time and accomodate you. I do enjoy a good trip to the desert and if you want nothing more than to annoy me, I would love for you to do it in person.

The complexes above are dumb. you'd be better off spending your time doing tabata squats or db thrusters... or better yet, BEARS like I suggested in my preceding post.

Urban said:
Complexes are dumb. there I said it. I held back for what? like two days? they're dumb. the exception are really good ones like Bears: clean + frontsquat + pushupress + back squat + pushpress, repeat. One rep each. You can use these things like you would burpees. This other horse pucky... well, it's dumb.

Why do you say it's dumb?

When I started out wrestling, I tried out complexes about a month after... they did wonders for my conditioning, dude, and I was in pretty darn good shape before then, mind you.... If you truly put your all into them, I mean 100% into them, you'll benefit greatly if you are doing any kind of grappling. I could literally tell a significant difference in my conditioning while grappling after doing them. They certainly weren't dumb to me...

ok, I will explain why I don't like those complexes. First you need to understand that you're going to be limited by your weakest exercise. In small complexes because you can speciallize and narrow the scope of the complex this isn't so bad. But basically you're fatigue is coming from the squating motions in the first complex, so why not cut to the chase? I'll walk you through it.

Barbell Medium Grip Upright Row x 4 First off I don't like upright rows, they put your shoulder in a very compromised position.
Barbell High Pull Snatch x 4 your first leg exercise, triple extension. I'm not sure if he means snatch grip or what, but this begins our leg work.
Barbell Quarter Squat x 8 more leg work with emphasis placed on rolling onto the calves to make a boring exercise more difficult. Calf raises in a complex are going to be more worthless than calf raises without due to the tremendous load you can place on your calves and the lightened load you're using. want to work your calves? go drag a sled, push a car, do some hill sprints with a sandbag, and keep horse shit exercises out of the equation.
Barbell Squat Push Press x 4 not a bad exercise, but in a large complex like this you lose a lot of benefits. again, more leg work.
Barbell Good Morning x 6 WTF are you doing good morning such light loads. Active recovery? waste of time if you ask me.
Barbell Back Squat Jump x 4 More leg work
Barbell Overhead Triceps Curls x 4 Probably the limiting exercise for this complex. this is going to set the weight for everything else.
Barbell Narrow Grip Upright Row x 4 I still don't like upright rows.
Barbell From Hip High Pull Snatch x 3 some leg drive but to be fair I wouldn't call a hang, high pull leg work.
Barbell Wave Squat +Back Squat + Squat Jump x 15+6+4 more leg work.

now... lets count how many times I we did leg work... 7. 7 leg driven exercises out of 12 exercises i the complex with a weight determined by an isolation exercise and the inclusion of two potentially damaging exercises for the shoulders and good mornings with what is probably less than 50% of your max. that's dumb. Why not just call a spade a spade and do tabatas with DB thrusters and save yourself the complexity?

how'd I do? I mean is that a fair assessment? there's a simpler way to put these things together than stringing 12 exercises together. You're probably going to say something about high pulls and hang snatches not being included in something as simple as DB thrusters. Well, if you can still walk afterwards, mosy on over to a barbell and do 20-30 singles with less than 20 seconds rest between reps.

I'm really not trying to be an asshole here, I'm trying to understand why there is unneccessary complication of something that can be made much simpler and potentially more effective and efficient.

Urban. I agree with you on the Bear complex...Great workout

The workout was an example taken from a 8 week program. Its not the only thing you do. I thank you for your input. Thats what makes forums great is input by people who can debate the issue.

Urban said:
Hey! Fuck off. I offered an alternative. all you're offering is some more of your fucking criticism. If I ever met you, you can rest assured I'd never speak to you wenis, cause your communication skills and inferiority complex is aggrivating to no end. And if you ever interupted me with your shitty attitude so you could tell me how wrong I am, you can rest assured I'd kick you in the balls without a second thought. I'm tired of your shit. that post conveys 1 of two things, that you seem to be under the impression that you're the only open minded person here, and you're the last bastion of hope for new and better training methods. or (and more likely to be the case) that you are going out of your way, following me around trying to make me look foolish.

You're in cali, so if you want to meet personally, I can probably find some time and accomodate you. I do enjoy a good trip to the desert and if you want nothing more than to annoy me, I would love for you to do it in person.

The complexes above are dumb. you'd be better off spending your time doing tabata squats or db thrusters... or better yet, BEARS like I suggested in my preceding post.

haha, e-thug it up internet tough guy.

I do them and love them. they are brutal. Posted in my log.

wenispinkle said:
haha, e-thug it up internet tough guy.
Yeah, never mind my completely valid points in that post or the two that follow, focus entirely on the fact I'd like to prevent you from ever having kids in a painful manner. You know what? Every time you post something I deem attacking without any reason to behave in such a manner, I'm deleting it or editing it. How's that? You're not bringing a whole lot to the table so I'll be keeping your shit to a minimum. either learn to read and comprehend what people are posting or you're going to appear very quiet.

shouldnt you be off somewhere splooging your pants at the thought of giving out more advice?

Urban said:
how'd I do? I mean is that a fair assessment? there's a simpler way to put these things together than stringing 12 exercises together. You're probably going to say something about high pulls and hang snatches not being included in something as simple as DB thrusters. Well, if you can still walk afterwards, mosy on over to a barbell and do 20-30 singles with less than 20 seconds rest between reps.

I'm really not trying to be an asshole here, I'm trying to understand why there is unneccessary complication of something that can be made much simpler and potentially more effective and efficient.

What I like about those kinds of complexes (for conditioning) is just the variation. For me, it doesn't complicate anything. I like how it doesn't have to be a certain, specific exercises each time, but rather, you can just mix it up, and the variation/ranges of motion are great for grappling, imo. Of course, like Mike said, it's not like that's a the only thing you would do...it's just another workout that one may use to condition for such a movement specific sport....

How's the RT comin' ?

good, doin it again tomorrow with a more weight. Really loading up the volume on this sucker and so far it's paid off... but uhh... two weeks in, who can tell? Really, I have a minor back injury and I'm most worried that my back has been getting fatigued before my grip. But, you can count on me mopping the floor with all you in the RT comp.

I think if you varry the reps more from part to part the problem that the weight is too light for some exercises can be reduced. This is one of the complexes i made just for fun:

- Deadlift or Romaniandeadlift 10-15 reps
- High Pull from the hang 5-8 reps (clean the weight on the last rep)
- Front Squats 15-20 reps
- Push press 5 reps
- Bent over Rows 20 reps

You can adjust the reps to your personal strengths. The weight limiting exercise will probably be the push press. So the lower on reps you go on this exercise the higher you can on weight.

Urban said:
good, doin it again tomorrow with a more weight. Really loading up the volume on this sucker and so far it's paid off... but uhh... two weeks in, who can tell? Really, I have a minor back injury and I'm most worried that my back has been getting fatigued before my grip. But, you can count on me mopping the floor with all you in the RT comp.

"HO!, ho, Hohohooo, you made me mad! I almost like it!" -guy at phone booth in Dumb and Dumber

Back