Grapplers: Squats or deadlifts?

Polish Punisher

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This is for the grapplers here, primarily people from a wrestling background(but anyone can chime in please).

Do you find squats or deadlifts increase your overall grappling strength more.? As it pertains to double leg, single leg takedowns, etc and just plain power while rolling.

statiscool would say neither, a randomly selected group of machines would do the job, but..

Fuck him what does he know. Both

Neither. Leg extensions and leg curls are all you need.

Yes.

Any question asking to pick between valid and productive exercises as if we live in a fantasy land where you are forced to train less than optimally is inherently retarded.

When I was doing pure grappling, deadlifts seemed to help more.

My shot sucks though, and I think squats would help just as much with that part.

"Any question asking to pick between valid and productive exercises as if we live in a fantasy land where you are forced to train less than optimally is inherently retarded."

I suppose the reality of posting any serious question on a public forum ultimately opens the door to post whoring and useless feedback.

The question was clear and concise and intended for people who actually train MMA/grappling and have noticed a difference in performance as it directly pertains to their grappling/wrestling strength.

I have 16 years standup experience and only about a year's worth of grappling.

I am specifically looking to improve my takedown skills especially my double and single legs.

I am over 200lbs and athletically built with years of lifting experience. I am not looking to built a base or foundation but looking to improve a certain part of my game.

If you want to make meaningless posts that benefit no one go to the Heavyweights forum.

Many pardons; I meant leg curls on a busa ball.

My favorite exercises for building a grappler's strength (besides grappling itself) are:

Squats

Deadlifts

Front Squats

Sandbag Loads and Carries

Stone Loads and Carries

Sled Dragging

Truck Pushing

Prowler Pushing

Farmer's Walks

Super Yoke Walks

Standing Barbell Shoulder Push Presses

Stay Strong,
Sean Katterle
Hardcore Powerlifting

If you want to make meaningless posts that benefit no one go to the Heavyweights forum.

That's pretty rich coming from someone who does most of his posting in the Heavyweights.

I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest about this with you though. You asked a simple, but silly question. What everyone, including Stewy is trying to tell you is "<Blink>DO BOTH</blink>" Why pick one when both are going to improve your overall strength & power?

Pistols, lunges, other unilateral work.

If you want a better shot then practice shooting a lot.

I suppose the reality of posting any serious question on a public forum ultimately opens the door to post whoring and useless feedback.

The question was clear and concise and intended for people who actually train MMA/grappling and have noticed a difference in performance as it directly pertains to their grappling/wrestling strength.

I have 16 years standup experience and only about a year's worth of grappling.

I am specifically looking to improve my takedown skills especially my double and single legs.

I am over 200lbs and athletically built with years of lifting experience. I am not looking to built a base or foundation but looking to improve a certain part of my game.

I train MMA and am primarily a grappler. I squat and deadlift, because both are important with neither having an edge over the other. Want to improve your takedowns and grappling? Practice takedowns and grappling.

The reality of posting in a public forum is that when you post a stupid fucking question you will get stupid fucking answers.

With years of lifting behind you, you should have realized it was a stupid fucking question.

If you spent more time in S&P and less in the Heavyweights, you would realize that the guys that gave you smart ass answers are regular and productive contributors to this forum.

Fuck off.

Back