Grappler's Quest Question

VegasFighter**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm thinking about competing in NOV in the GQ in vegas. I've been training BJJ for about 2 months now, and i hear there is a novice tournament.

My question here is guys at my gym said people hella sandbag there. is that true?

Sandbag= someone on an avanced level participating in novice

Does it ever happen? Sure... I guess. The more important question is whether it happens a lot. I have competed in Grapplers Quest events for 5-6 years and I have not seen evidence of it happening a lot - especially now that the Grapplers Quest promoter is sensitive to this issue and keeps a lookout for it.

I think the allegation of sandbagging is much more common than people actually doing the sandbagging. You know how people are: They love to complain about shit. But where is the proof? The fact that so-and-so knows that Joe Bob from Tough Guy Academy sandbagged in the last tournament means that he knows it happened one time. Big deal. Did they report this to the promoter to stop Joe Bob from doing it again? If not, then they have no reason to complain. Usually, the "proof" is that they THINK soomeone is sandbagging or they got beat by someone and have sour grapes.

Just go into the tournament for fun and try to win, but don't agonize over what other competitors are doing or saying.

I'm going to try my first tournament in December, novice level as well. I'm not really too concerned about people sandbagging. If someone beats me then they beat me and I'll thank them for the experience.

I'd rather lose to someone that's better than me than to beat someone at my level or with less experience.

Well, sandbagging is rampant at NAGA, or at least was until a year and a half ago, when I last competed. The proof was that they let people who previously took first in higher divisions (e.g. purple belt & up, advanced no gi) still compete in blue belt. When I mentioned this, they said something to the effect of "If someone is still a blue belt, what could they do?". But this policy of letting people who've won in a higher divisions still fight in lower divisions encourages schools to hold people back indefinately, so they can add trophys to their shool's collection.

I can't address the NAGA situation because I don't know, but I know that in the GQ, if you compete in a division at one tournament, you can't go down a level at the next tournament. For example, if you compete as a blue belt tomorrow, you have to compete as a blue belt (or higher) at the next tournament and cannot compete as a white belt. Same thing with no gi. You can't compete in the advanced level tomorrow and then compete as an intermediate (or lower) in the next tournament.

The honest answer is YES, at GQ at the novice division there is sandbagging. People who lack the intestinal fortitude to compete in the appropriate division are going to be there. Guys with giant cauliflour ears who wrestled for 4 years in high school, have done 2 years of sub wrestling are going into the novice division under THIER logic that 'its thier first tournament'.

I suggest you go though. Nothing like seeing a guy with JIU JITSU tattooed on the back of his head crying in the hallway because a guy beat him in the novice division.

there's sandbagging in every tournament but not as much as people seem to think ... a lot of the accusations come from someone loosing and bitching about it after saying the guy that beat him was sandbagging

anyway nothing you can do about it other then give it your best

Stoic1 said:
The honest answer is YES, at GQ at the novice division there is sandbagging. People who lack the intestinal fortitude to compete in the appropriate division are going to be there. Guys with giant cauliflour ears who wrestled for 4 years in high school, have done 2 years of sub wrestling are going into the novice division under THIER logic that 'its thier first tournament'.

I suggest you go though. Nothing like seeing a guy with JIU JITSU tattooed on the back of his head crying in the hallway because a guy beat him in the novice division.

Wrestlers are not supposed to enter the novice division. Of course, this doesn't mean that it never happens, but it's difficult to enforce. It's not as if the GQ promoters can do a background check on every first time GQ competitor.

Stoning. But with sandbags of course.

Back