grappler's quest. HELP!!! advice needed

VegasFighter**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So i WAS planning to compete in the begginer's no GI, with my 3 months of BJJ training. While practicing for it, I was getting dominated in ym gym, and soon came to realize Wrestling experience seems to be key. and I have none. Now I cant help but think, Imma get owned, and made a mistake, and am considereing pulling out of the tourney.

should I pull out? Should I compete and get owned anyway? Advice anyone?

compete...you really have nothing to lose by trying. before my 1st GQ i got schooled by alot of guys with way more experience than me. when i got out there something clicked and i was relaxed and worked my game.

competing isn't always about wins and losses at this stage of the game. for you itd be cool to go and see where you stack up against other guys of the same caliber.

wrestling helps but it isn't necessary

If you've already paid, go. Not any reason not too. If you haven't paid, you need to consider if the fee is worth a short (but very intense) training session.

You relaly dont need wrestling experience to be successfull in no gi, you've only been training for 3 months of course your still gonna lose fights.

well if you're 3 months in you are competing in novice and wrestlers are not allowed in novice as far as i know so you are covered on that one

regardless you should compete its great experience and a lot of fun

^--- true, but he said Beginner in his post. If it's really Novice then he should definitely go for it.

Do it.

The experience will be invaluable, especially if you lose.

A loss can teach you as much as a dozen classes. A win can boost your confidence. You don't really lose either way, any result is better than none as long as you gain something, whether it is what you should be working on or a medal.

do it......you will come back looking to improve lots

VegasFighter said:
So i WAS planning to compete in the begginer's no GI, with my 3 months of BJJ training. While practicing for it, I was getting dominated in ym gym, and soon came to realize Wrestling experience seems to be key. and I have none. Now I cant help but think, Imma get owned, and made a mistake, and am considereing pulling out of the tourney.

should I pull out? Should I compete and get owned anyway? Advice anyone?

haha , nice. I have been training for 3 months and entering the novice division too. perhaps I will face you at GQ =P

my first competition too man, and i still get my ass kicked too but ive heard it's a good experience. Plus i cant wait to see how i do against guys from other school's.

goodluck man, hopefully we can face each other in the competition.

I entered my first competition after 2 weeks of bjj. It's all about learning and having fun so go out and have fun and don't worry about winning or loosing just make the best of it and I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck to all who are headed to GQ, we have a few guys from my school competing.

FutureBxer said:
haha , nice. I have been training for 3 months and entering the novice division too. perhaps I will face you at GQ =P

my first competition too man, and i still get my ass kicked too but ive heard it's a good experience. Plus i cant wait to see how i do against guys from other school's.

goodluck man, hopefully we can face each other in the competition.

Hah. Maybe. what do you weigh?? I'm comin in Right around 200

VegasFighter said:
are they not allowed to compete?

What i gatherd from the post is that people with a wrestling background are not allowd to compete in the 9 months and under novice class.

Back