Grappler's Guide Weight Cutting Check List

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Chris Beeby, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Chris Beeby

Chris Beeby Brown Belt Professional Fighter

As maybe a half dozen of you MIGHT know, I have my first BJJ tournament in ~2 1/2 weeks. I recently reread the weight "cutting" section, in order to insure I do everything properly in preparation to make weight. Here's the skinny (quite punny).

-I weigh ~150# right now (full stomach, plenty hydrated, etc.)
    -I'm competing at <140#
    -I have >3 hours between weigh-in and competing (meaning according to Berardi, I cut can a bit more than 4#, and still be able to refuel, no?

I know, I know, just another cutting weight thread, but this one is oddly specific, therefore, I am special.

for the tl;dr'ers.

The comp is on the 26th.

4/09-4/23: everything clean, more veggies, low on beef, eggs and milk
    4/23: Water intake upped to 2-3gallons/day, extra fiber, and if absolutely necessary, Dandelion Root tea.
    At this point I need to weigh about 145, right? The extra water is to make my body overcompensate and flush without needing to touch a sauna, etc. Extra fiber to clear GI waste. Dandelion Root as a gentle laxative to do the same.
    4/24: Water intake dropped to 1 gallon. Around 143#, right?
    4/25: Little water, making weight.

Please correct anything you see fit. If it appeases the mods, by all means move this to another forum/thread.

Thanks in advance!

2. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

Looks pretty good, although I always end up over cutting, so I might not be the best source for input on this.

3. Ghosted-Barra

Ghosted-Barra Orange Belt

Do you have to hit the 140 mark with or without the kimono? That is a variable that alot of people dont consider til a day or 2 before.

4. Glen Sonnabend

Glen Sonnabend Amateur Fighter

Dandelion root shouldnt be "if absoluely necessary" It should be considered a staple. The laxative tea, on the other hand, should be an "if necessary" item. I took 2g dandelion spread throughouit the day for 4 days. Its a very gentle diuretic.

5. Jake Martin

Jake Martin Amateur Fighter

Dandelion root rules. It dried me out really well without leaving me dehydrated. I'd definitely go with it no matter what.

edit: By the way, good luck Beebs. Be sure to keep us informed on the weight cutting and how you do in the comp.

6. w0cyru01

w0cyru01 Purple Belt

This question needs to be answered first. Could mean an extra couple of pounds.

7. FIGHTING TALK

FIGHTING TALK Brown Belt

over here no-one cuts for grappling matches.
    i mean getting in shape is one thing, but everyone just seems to weigh in and grapple at whatever weight they are on the day. i have definitely never known of anyone cutting out carbs or sweating out weight just for grappling comps, sounds absurd to me.

8. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

Yes, this is very important. My gi+belt adds around 5 pounds (I consider it 6 to be on the safe side).

9. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

I find it absurd that NO ONE over there cuts. If you are competitive at grappling, you should definitely look into cutting some weight. Why not try to have every advantage you can?

10. Jim J

Jim J Purple Belt

Sorry for the highjack but, how long will a high sodium meal make you retain water for?
    Just the next day or longer?

11. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

I hate the practice of cutting, but it's one of those things that because everyone else does it, you're more or less forced into doing it too, just to keep things fair.

It is strange no one cuts. What about for other weight class sports?

12. Chris Beeby

Chris Beeby Brown Belt Professional Fighter

Rashy and Board Shorts.

Thanks for the advice/info on Dandelion root. I seem to be confused though, Berardi sounded as though he meant it in tea form, but you guys had more success eating it?

I'll be keeping everyone posted, and hopefully I'll do well enough to have to make a thread like XT did.

13. Jake Martin

Jake Martin Amateur Fighter

I bought it in pill form.

14. txfighter13

txfighter13 Purple Belt

I like both the diet suggestions published in the Grappler's Guide. Some of the meals are a little over the top but for the most part work pretty well.