Granny Eating Cat Food vs. Welfare Queens

How about a therapist student who told us during his clinical session that he and his wife were going to have a baby before he graduated so the state would pay for it? That’s a firsthand abuse account right there. Didn’t happen though right? Dozens of families I’ve seen keep someone alive on life support to get a check, I know because they said so. I mean I could easily go on. Unlike most of you I actually work with the public. People who live together but don’t get married so they don’t lose benefits, again they tell me this.

Things like that happen because Murkan health care is such a zhit show. If it were affordable you wouldnt hear of stories like this. And lo and behold who on here is against all attempts to reform it... why its that genius poster chintzymma.....

Most everybody I see come in is receiving government assistance. And while it’s few and far between, I think there’s definitely some people taking advantage of the system, as well as our own program. They drop by in expensive brand clothing/purses/shoes, a fresh manicure (you can’t afford food but you’re getting your nails done? Wtf man), the latest iPhone, only take the “expensive” items that we offer (likely so they can sell them off), and they get on my fukkin nerves lol. They always have bullshit stories that they can’t keep straight.

But the majority of what I see is people that truly need help. Honestly, more help than what they’re currently getting, and it’s depressing. Our world is so broken.

I remember the time I ate cat food, it was a while ago. It wasn't born out of desperation, but rather curiosity (the overpowering smell that it always had was all too tempting), with a sense of having to prove my manhood to my older cousin spliced in.

I took a bite, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it didn't taste as bad as I imagined, at first. As soon as it all settled in, in my mouth, I realized that not all was good in Wonderland, that the world was not black & white, that not all things are how you expect them to be, that fantasies are just that, and have no way of becoming a reality, because even if you manage to luck out, and get to your dream scenario, it will just be an approximation of what you've imagined, not the real deal, but most of all, I learned that my palate was quite different to that of a feline.

You see, the flavors that exploded in my mouth were nothing short of vile, and while they did not make me gag, I still wish to this day that I had spat it out, but alas, my machismo was working to its maximum effect that day.

As soon as I swallowed, I felt like I had been liberated, like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders, because, even if I could still taste the remains of the cat food, it wasn't anywhere near as strong as before. After that, I decided to never partake in dare or challenge like that ever again, except for the time I snorted salt in my classroom, but that's a story for another day.

Anyone else read this with Morgan Freeman's voice?

I work at a church that runs many different programs to help the community. My area is the food bank. And it’s really not as simple as you put it.

Although I would like to think if somebody reached out to us, and told us they were living on cat food, that we would offer them some food. On occasion we make exceptions. But every place is different. Run by different people, or capable of only so much. I know one food bank here only gives each person about three cans of soup and then something odd that most people don’t eat.

Most areas don’t have “a thousand” different charities. And even if they did, youve got to take into account that people have to apply first to see if they qualify. Sadly a lot of people and families that are barely making it (if that) won’t qualify if they’re making even just a tiny bit over what that charity allows. Or if they qualify, that charity may not be able to provide enough of what that person needs.

The situation we were discussing were people who eat fancy feast to survive. I’m going out on a limb and saying that they’re going to qualify for some food.

And typical churches don’t run soup lines. They have congregations who step-up on a individual basis and sponsor (help) people/families. The church is a middleman.

No family, neighbors, friends to make up the slack that food banks, meals on wheels, churches don’t provide. Strangers scoff. Police and firefighters mock them. There’s just cat food.

Why would I lie? My Acura cost me like $350 a month. Welfare checks give a lot more money than that and then people get like $10,000 "tax refund checks". Easily enough money to pay for a nice car.
Did that koolaid taste funny?

The situation we were discussing were people who eat fancy feast to survive. I’m going out on a limb and saying that they’re going to qualify for some food.

And typical churches don’t run soup lines. They have congregations who step-up on a individual basis and sponsor (help) people/families. The church is a middleman.

No family, neighbors, friends to make up the slack that food banks, meals on wheels, churches don’t provide. Strangers scoff. Police and firefighters mock them. There’s just cat food.
My church as a kid ran a soup line. And we delivered canned food to other churches that ran kitchens and food banks and such.

Every church has their own approach.

It's unfortunate just how many people are out there who really don't have anyone else to turn to except those things. The worst ones are the old people who actually have kids but the kids aren't around or don't care or whatever.

Did you read my original post when you responded to it? I said that I do not understand people who lack empathy. It seems to me that maybe you didn't read my post in its entirety. None of what you're writing makes any sense in the context of my first post.

You're claiming people who speak out against welfare abuse (regardless of how big or small) show no empathy for all needy people? And you think my reply made no sense?

That's rich dude.

You have to be kidding me with this shit show of a post. o_O

Oh my . . . where is your EMPATHY? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wrote something specific, you argued with it. I responded, in line with my original post. And now this post of yours demonstrates that you have no idea what my original post said. You must have seen some key words and just fired off some irrelevant garbage.

You call claiming anyone who views welfare abuse differently than you = someone who shows no empathy for the needy specific?

I'm sorry for responding instead of correcting you then. I'll do it now. Here's what I wrote:

I will never again understand people who lack empathy for those people because they believe that some miniscule percentage of the welfare population is "getting over".

What evidence do you have that all people who disagree with abuse show no empathy for those in need?

Now re-read 90% of your post and see how it doesn't make any sense considering the above. Okay, at the chance that you still don't understand. I will never understand people who lack empathy for the needy just because they believe that some small portion of the welfare population is abusing the system.

Jeez louise.

Really? You pulled out that broad brush and are complaining about MY post not making any sense?

Are you seriously claiming that folks who are frustrated with people they see abusing a system to support the needy show NO empathy for the needy?

Unbelievable . . .

Nope. No one can predict future success, if your success reaches a certain threshold the benefits should be withheld for the good of the system.

They already succeeded without access to those funds, why waste time and money paying them back?

Sorry dude . . . totally disagree. You want to start stipulating who gets a benefit you better give me the option to not participate and go my own way . . . if your system can't pay back those who have paid in and earned then it can move on without my contributions.

The worst ones are the old people who actually have kids but the kids aren't around or don't care or whatever.

Now this I can agree with . . . the kids in these situations are quite pathetic.

Are you seriously claiming that folks who are frustrated with people they see abusing a system to support the needy show NO empathy for the needy?

So what's your solution? Let them starve?

Sorry dude . . . totally disagree. You want to start stipulating who gets a benefit you better give me the option to not participate and go my own way . . . if your system can't pay back those who have paid in and earned then it can move on without my contributions.

I know the idea of fairness doesn't sit well with you lot.

I wasn't expecting to convince you.

I know the idea of fairness doesn't sit well with you lot.

I wasn't expecting to convince you.

Fairness? Dude. You think we're all born on 3rd base and think we've hit a homer?

C'mon man.

People that are on welfare.

You read my post as like I'm proposing to let people on welfare starve? All because I believe anyone who is abusing the system should no longer receive those benefits? I've never said the system was rampant with abuse.

My solution . . . Let those who need it keep . . . remove the benefits from those found to be abusing the system as they're discovered.

What's your solution?

Fairness? Dude. You think we're all born on 3rd base and think we've hit a homer?

C'mon man.

I don't care what base you were born on in this context what matters is purely what base you're on when you're up for Social Security benefits.

I think if you've hit a homer it's fair to call it even at that point in time and keep the contributions of the ultra wealthy in the coffers for others.

What's your solution?
The model we have here in Denmark. Provide people with help too on how to apply for jobs, show them job listings that they are qualified for. Essentially give people enough that they can live on.

The model we have here in Denmark. Provide people with help too on how to apply for jobs, show them job listings that they are qualified for. Essentially give people enough that they can live on.

We have similar programs here too . . . many folks don't take advantage of them for some reason . . .

I would give more to charity if less of my earned money was confiscated for taxes.

So it's both? Wow. Guess it's nice to have to have it both ways . . . or whatever way is convenient to try and make someone look bad.

The world is a complex place. People aren't robots.

So the "right" is supposedly taught all of these things and the "left" some how rises above them? Seriously?

No, we're all taught these things.

Those that buy into it more are more likely to lean right, those that buy into it less are more likely to lean left. This is why veneration for institutions like the military and the church (which promotes obedience) is more common on the right.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...are-from-mars-liberals-are-from-venus/252416/

Back