Graham Hancock and the ancient civilization theory

Do you think this theory is correct?

• Total voters
I think if you watch the last video, and see the scale of devastation we are talking about, this would answer your question to some extent.

Part of the answer is that it is there, buried under a few hundred feet of top soil.

It very well could be or under water and extremely difficult to excavate. As I brought up earlier though, civilization can only come about with a surplus of food so domesticating animals and plants would surely be the key to this. DNA of domesticated plants and animals should show a hot spot where they originated I believe, I'm not sure if this has been found.

Plants would need to be domesticated and I'm wondering if tracing the DNA of staples like rice, wheat, barley and other grains could give us a family tree and point us locations of origin. That could give us a clue as to where to look.

Wheat is believed to have been domesticated at Karaca Dag which is about 20 mi from Gobekli Tepe

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaca_Dağ

Yea, I think that ancient sites such as the Great Pyramid, Teotihuacan, Gobekli Tepe, the Kailasa Temple, etc. are a good indication that humanity has likely experienced a cataclysmic reset event in our past.

I've read a couple of Hancock's books (The Mars Mystery, Magicians of the Gods), and have seen those podcasts. I don't necessarily agree with him on every interpretation but I think the guy does fantastic work exploring ancient sites, which is something I find interesting and enjoyable to read about.

Good documentary on The Great Pyramid:

It's not like the theory doesn't make sense at all. If a high civilization was wiped out by a cataclysm over 10k years ago, what do people expect to be left remaining other than perhaps some enigmatic megalithic sites?

Language. Books or pieces of them. metal objects. Basic outlines of cities.

There civilizations. Define "great."

No, I can't explain it. But since I'm not making the claim the burden of proof is not on me. This is, again, heading towards argument from ignorance territory.

It isn't though, because if you can't offer another theory, then his theory is the leading one.

No one here is claiming his theory has been proven.

I do argue he makes a compelling case for having the leading theory to explain many unanswered questions.

That is how the scientific process works.

More "yes" votes on a crack-pot theory? My gawd..

I can accept an "advanced" society being wiped out by a cataclysmic event. I don't believe we have enough evidence to conclude it did happen, but I'm fine with the idea that it could have.

Suggesting this civilization had technology equivalent to the 18th or 19th century is, respectfully, absurd.
He based that on maps of the world that may be derivative of pleistocene age maps. Read fingerprints of the gods and argue with him. I'm not making that claim. Just fyi, Antarctica is on maps (that people interpret differently) from the 13th century. Why is a continent we didn't discover until 1820 on 13th century maps? And why is it depicted with specificity and without modern glaciation.

It's a matter of interpretation, but it's pretty convincing if true. See the mercator projections or the piri reis map in question.

It very well could be or under water and extremely difficult to excavate. As I brought up earlier though, civilization can only come about with a surplus of food so domesticating animals and plants would surely be the key to this. DNA of domesticated plants and animals should show a hot spot where they originated I believe, I'm not sure if this has been found.

I don't think that is right with plants. Plants history isn't the same as anything else. The rate plant species go extinct, and newly evolve is insane.

We basically have no idea what plant species were like that long ago, unless through some freak natural process it was somehow saved, in amber, or some other process.

So if they had agriculture, they could live, and build a society.

He based that on maps of the world that may be derivative of pleistocene age maps. Read fingerprints of the gods and argue with him. I'm not making that claim. Just fyi, Antarctica is on maps (that people interpret differently) from the 13th century. Why is a continent we didn't discover until 1820 on 13th century maps? And why is it depicted with specificity and without modern glaciation.

Perhaps it was discovered in the 13th century before being rediscovered in the 1800s?

I would be very interested to hear @TheComebackKid take on this.

Well I'm not sure about this guys particular theory but there is evidence for lost empires and reset periods. You have things like old maps showing huge empires we've never heard. In America for example you have large buildings and neighborhoods buried right underneath our streets in some places. The topic of orphan trains is very strange and would be explained by a reset of some kind. Theres other factoids I've come across that are slipping my mind. So I think it's very possible.

I also tend to think ancient civilizations had advanced technology not necessarily in the form of machines but in the form of understanding how to manipulate the elements. Like using sound to move things for example.

With all of that said I don't think anyone has presented a real flushed out theory yet. And your guess is as good as Grahams.

Text book example of an argument from ignorance.

Oof.

Textbook example of a claim without any supporting argument.

Also, great way to use language that let's us all know you are still a kid. Oof.

More "yes" votes on a crack-pot theory? My gawd..
Dude, you're claiming he's just making things up. He has specifically written thousands of pages with thousands of peer reviewed citations in them. It may be a circumstantial case but you calling him a "crackpot" is just ignorant.

lol holy irony. Wow.

What do you call a bracelet that is 40,000 years old using fixed drilling technology from a extinct humanoid species?

Because I call that supporting evidence.

Evidence you waived away.

Thank you for this!

@VivaRevolution @andnowweknow

This is what I'm talking about, we have wheat domestication and archaeological discoveries converging to give us an idea of how civilization started.
So at the same time they invented wheat domestication they were building super technical series' of 20 ton beam structures with proper astronomical alignments? How far back are we gonna go here? There is 50 times as much under the ground unexcavated at Gobekli tepe as has already been excavated. Yes, it's 50 times the size of stone henge...6k years earlier. And way more sophisticated.

Thank you for this!

@VivaRevolution @andnowweknow

This is what I'm talking about, we have wheat domestication and archaeological discoveries converging to give us an idea of how civilization started.

Time stamp?

I tried to watch, got 20 minutes in.

Would be better if you could find an article showing what you are talking about though, because I don't think I could skip forward on that video.

Edit: I see. That isn't the video, it is a link. Will check out and respond again.

Well I'm not sure about this guys particular theory but there is evidence for lost empires and reset periods. You have things like old maps showing huge empires we've never heard. In America for example you have large buildings and neighborhoods buried right underneath our streets in some places. The topic of orphan trains is very strange and would be explained by a reset of some kind. Theres other factoids I've come across that are slipping my mind. So I think it's very possible.

I also tend to think ancient civilizations had advanced technology not necessarily in the form of machines but in the form of understanding how to manipulate the elements. Like using sound to move things for example.

With all of that said I don't think anyone has presented a real flushed out theory yet. And your guess is as good as Grahams.

Also watch at around the 47 minute part..

Talk about the afterlife, and how to create visions and such

Expect to find? Why would we expect to find 15k year old coins and swords in this area? Whoever built GT didn't need coins and swords to develop the site but to develop something like a steam engine a civilization is going to need a lot more than what current scientists believe ancient man had. And so far there has been no convincing evidence/artifacts found that will support this idea.

The copper age came before the iron for a few reasons but mainly because copper melts at a lower point than iron and is easier to work with. Once copper was developed iron came later when man learned how to smelt at higher temperatures. These discoveries are all built on top of each other and it is extremely unlikely that a group would learn how to smelt iron before copper.

But the Bronze Age is in there. A mix of copper and tin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back