Graduation Question

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by bjjtrekker, Sep 22, 2010.

1. bjjtrekker White Belt

Hi guys and gals I have a question for anyone who could help.

I am a purple belt coach and have run a school for 5 years ( i got my purple a couple of years ago ) we have never really had much luck with affilations going from 1 black belt to the next in this time though no fault if our own.

I have had a student train with me for 5 years + in this time he has gained 4 stripes on his belt ( through seminars off our various black belts ) he has had very good success in comps both gi and nogi fought and won MMA fights winning with submissions. and he taps other blues at our team and sometimes myself.

I now feel he is ready for a blue belt as do other in our team to take his training to the next level
    I know this students game inside out and I have taught him everything he knows.

As we have no black belt coach again I am seeking advice as to if it would be accepted that a purple belt grades a grade below himself. I have handed out stripes and no black belt has ever questioned one of them!. I am just a little hesitant at handing out a belt. I would feel better giving it myself rather than getting yet another black belt to do a seminar ( maybe have to affiliate again ) that does not know him or will hardly see him or has taught him nothing! I know I will need to re affiliate for my personal progression and that of the other blue belts but that could be another year or 2 and i honestly feel he should not be held back because of affiliation issues.

advice and opinions please.

2. HEAVY GRAPPLER Brown Belt

You need to find a black belt to do this.

Stripes are one thing, but the idea of a purple giving a blue is only for extreme situations where there is no black belt in the area - not just because you have affiliation troubles.

There are BBs who will do this. Bring one in for a week or something.

3. millasur Blue Belt

He's been training for 5 years and is still a white? He must OWN your newer grapplers lol.

4. KaosX Banned Banned

for real - 5 years...should be striped on his blue by now I would imagine (as long as he's got technique)

5. bjjtrekker White Belt

Yes he is very good!

6. newerest Purple Belt

just give him his blue

7. Wandgun Orange Belt

He still competes as a white belt?

8. newerest Purple Belt

this whole 'you have to be a black belt' to promote is bullshit

you shouldn't be able to give him a purple when the time comes, but he should definitely be able to get his blue under you

9. Hellboy31 Brown Belt

Hmmm he's been a white belt for 5 years AND he does well in competitions.. Go figure.

Cough Cough SANDBAGGER Cough Cough

10. Knuckles69 Purple Belt

You should solve your affiliate problem. It's not only affecting you, but also your students that pay you their hard earned money. BJJ is not about the belt, but anybody that trains for 5 years is at least somewhat dedicated and should have that dedication rewarded by belt promotion.

I have trained at places where a brown belt (at the time) promoted people to blue belt and previous to that he promoted people as a purple belt to blue.

He's a black belt now and nobody questions those people that he's promoted and some of those early blue belts are now black belts. I honestly don't think anyone should have a problem with you promoting someone that deserves it to blue belt, but you should affiliate with a black belt as soon as possible.