1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Grade 1 MCL Sprain

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Connoisseur, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

Hey guys, so on Thursday I was doing wrestling at my gym, and when we were drilling singles my partner tried to sweep with the wrong leg, and as he drove forward my knee popped and I could tell I was fucked before I hit the mat.

Long story short, got it x-rayed, iced it (and still am), taking mild pain killers/ anti- inflammatory ibuprofen, etc. The doc said there was some soft tissue damage, and that it was just a mild sprain. Right now i'm walking around on crutches with a leg immobilizer.

So here's the question- has anyone else had this happen to them? I have an Iron Gym so I busted out some pull ups and push ups, planning on doing that + dieting to stay in shape, but does anyone know of any good ways to rehab a MCL injury? Maybe some exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles? And when should I go back to training/ should I invest in a knee sleeve for support?

Thanks in advance for the help guys

2. DSGhST07

DSGhST07 Blue Belt

I got a grade 2 MCL tear about 3 weeks ago, 6'5 guy went to left side Ashi Guruma not knowing how to do it, blocked my leg instead of sweeping, and I fell very awkward with about 6 crunchy pops. I went from immobilizer to hinged knee brace, doc said 6 weeks until it strengthens. I start rehab next week, I can't bend my knee past 90 degrees nor twist it for triangle. If yours is just a sprain you should be on the mat before me, just let it rest and don't train until its 100%.

3. wufabufa

wufabufa Brown Belt

a sprain is a tear.

grade 1- minor tear
    grade 2- partial tear, some disruption and some loss of stability, lots of pain
    grade 3- complete tear

4. KJ_8003

KJ_8003 White Belt

I had a grade 1 sprain with minor meniscus damage right after the pan ams this year. It took 6 weeks to get back to sparring and drilling comfortably. During the off time off I tried to ride a bike as much as I could to build up the muscles and bring the leg through full range of motion with a bit of resistance. I'm still having some problems right now but have learned to work around them for the most part. Good luck.

5. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I used the RICE method for the first 3 days, and i've still been using hot & cold compresses; I've been walking around with an athletic brace on it, and although I have a significant limp, I can put weight on it and I have some degree of knee bend back.

I think i'll try and get into the pool/ stationary bike in a bit, and do rehab exercises.

6. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

That sounds like a lot for a mild sprain!
    I guess it must be quite a bit less mild than the one that had me out for just a few weeks wearing a regular knee sleeve.