Grade 1 MCL Sprain

Connoisseur

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, so on Thursday I was doing wrestling at my gym, and when we were drilling singles my partner tried to sweep with the wrong leg, and as he drove forward my knee popped and I could tell I was fucked before I hit the mat.

Long story short, got it x-rayed, iced it (and still am), taking mild pain killers/ anti- inflammatory ibuprofen, etc. The doc said there was some soft tissue damage, and that it was just a mild sprain. Right now i'm walking around on crutches with a leg immobilizer.

So here's the question- has anyone else had this happen to them? I have an Iron Gym so I busted out some pull ups and push ups, planning on doing that + dieting to stay in shape, but does anyone know of any good ways to rehab a MCL injury? Maybe some exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles? And when should I go back to training/ should I invest in a knee sleeve for support?

Thanks in advance for the help guys

I got a grade 2 MCL tear about 3 weeks ago, 6'5 guy went to left side Ashi Guruma not knowing how to do it, blocked my leg instead of sweeping, and I fell very awkward with about 6 crunchy pops. I went from immobilizer to hinged knee brace, doc said 6 weeks until it strengthens. I start rehab next week, I can't bend my knee past 90 degrees nor twist it for triangle. If yours is just a sprain you should be on the mat before me, just let it rest and don't train until its 100%.

I got a grade 2 MCL tear about 3 weeks ago, 6'5 guy went to left side Ashi Guruma not knowing how to do it, blocked my leg instead of sweeping, and I fell very awkward with about 6 crunchy pops. I went from immobilizer to hinged knee brace, doc said 6 weeks until it strengthens. I start rehab next week, I can't bend my knee past 90 degrees nor twist it for triangle. If yours is just a sprain you should be on the mat before me, just let it rest and don't train until its 100%.

a sprain is a tear.

grade 1- minor tear
grade 2- partial tear, some disruption and some loss of stability, lots of pain
grade 3- complete tear

I had a grade 1 sprain with minor meniscus damage right after the pan ams this year. It took 6 weeks to get back to sparring and drilling comfortably. During the off time off I tried to ride a bike as much as I could to build up the muscles and bring the leg through full range of motion with a bit of resistance. I'm still having some problems right now but have learned to work around them for the most part. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I used the RICE method for the first 3 days, and i've still been using hot & cold compresses; I've been walking around with an athletic brace on it, and although I have a significant limp, I can put weight on it and I have some degree of knee bend back.

I think i'll try and get into the pool/ stationary bike in a bit, and do rehab exercises.

Right now i'm walking around on crutches with a leg immobilizer.

That sounds like a lot for a mild sprain!
I guess it must be quite a bit less mild than the one that had me out for just a few weeks wearing a regular knee sleeve.

Back