Gracie vs Shamrock III: How do you really feel?

It's so bad I don't think even the media should give it this much attention. Both this fight and the dada whoever dude against Kimbo. Older dudes in less than optimal fighting shape, with limited skills(Gracie and Shamrock have legit skills, but relative to some fighters on the under card, I think one can say they have limited modern MMA skills).
Seems to me dada and Kimbo is more about characters and story than fighting. Not relevant in regards to high level MMA, match made only for entertainment. I don't blame the fighters for making money and I respect that they are willing to fight... More disgusted with Bellator.

i used to really like ken as a fighter, still do, but he is one of my favorite pioneers of the sport.

i cant stand royce on the other hand.

would love to see something reminiscent of shamrock vs frye (which is probably my favorite fight) where both ken and royce have eachother in leg locks. but royce taps because it isnt japan and frye was dosed up on pain killers before the fight. fuck, im going to go watch it now.

but here is the highlight clip for that fight with a killer tune to go with it.

shamrock vs frye was the ultimate war of attrition between two manly men. Don Frye had the mustache tho so he won.

No one on this thread is in half as shape as Shamrock and would still get choked out by Royce ...end thread! lol

i really kindof felt ken got shafted with that decision.. but the fight was so great that there were no loses.

i really kindof felt ken got shafted with that decision.. but the fight was so great that there were no loses.

I think Don dropping him in the third was what sealed it

i used to really like ken as a fighter, still do, but he is one of my favorite pioneers of the sport.

i cant stand royce on the other hand.

would love to see something reminiscent of shamrock vs frye (which is probably my favorite fight) where both ken and royce have eachother in leg locks. but royce taps because it isnt japan and frye was dosed up on pain killers before the fight. fuck, im going to go watch it now.

but here is the highlight clip for that fight with a killer tune to go with it.

I had Shamrock winning that fight , ithink he did enough to squeek by .Frye was the Pride fan favorite so two out of the three judges gave him the nod.

I had Shamrock winning that fight , ithink he did enough to squeek by .Frye was the Pride fan favorite so two out of the three judges gave him the nod.
agree on don being the fan favorite. he had some awesome pride fights. ken was a bit of a bust there, but both legends delivered when they faced eachother.

Of course he needs to get ratings that's fair enough but he tries to justify it as something other than a freakshow, Chris Leben is another example of signing a former UFC fighter just for the heck of it without caring for his health, all criticism aside, UFC takes care of their fighters. I hope one of them gets seriously hurt so they can stop pulling this shit, I would hate for every fighter over 45 to think they can continue fighting just because Shamrock & Gracie are doing it.

It's not a freakshow, it's a legends fight. Being old doesn't make one a "freak"

UFC just hired a photographer to fight a 1-0 guy, in an effort to find an opponent for a WWE wrestler with NO MMA experience... that's much more of a freakshow. Dada vs Kimbo is also more of a freakshow then Ken vs Royce, by far and no ones really complaining about that fight

UFC's version of taking care of their fighters is putting old (way past their prime) legends in with current top-fighters, example Shogun and Hendo. I'd say that's just as bad, if not worse.

To say Coker is a scumbag, and UFC takes care of their fighters... is ridiculous.

bottom line it depend who's fighting. Bernard Hopkins still look great at 50 yrs old. Sam Stout quit at 31 because he couldn't take a punch anymore...

I agree, it definitely does.

Bustamante, Severn, & Mo Smith would beat a lot of young fighters today and they're all in their 50's.

Ken is pretty shot, but it's not like Royce is going to do much damage to him

I love the idea of a masters division, but maybe there is no interest. We will see tonight if people just aren't interested in two old legends fighting or if this gets some ratings.

Royce came off as a jerk and weird at the presser, totally unauthentic. Shammy was very honest and calm and cool as can be. I do hope he smashes Royce into perminent retirement. I met Royce once at a seminar in which I over payed $70 back in 2003. He was a jerk to me then and he acted as if I was a threat and mad dogged me, he avoided rolling with me. I would have ragged dolled him like Saku did a few years before. War SHAMMY!

Bustamante, Severn, & Mo Smith would beat a lot of young fighters today and they're all in their 50's.

Do you mean low-level guys at regional shows? Maybe. Severn sure built up his post-UFC record doing that, as did Travis Fulton. But Severn was 10-15 years younger.

Or do you mean lower-level HWs on the UFCs roster? In that case, I seriously doubt it those 50+ year olds would do well.

I love the idea of a masters division, but maybe there is no interest. We will see tonight if people just aren't interested in two old legends fighting or if this gets some ratings.

Be careful what you ask for. As I mentioned earlier, watch the Tito-Bonnar snoozer again and imagine them being 12-15 years older.

This ain't golf.

Royce came off as a jerk and weird at the presser, totally unauthentic. Shammy was very honest and calm and cool as can be. I do hope he smashes Royce into perminent retirement. I met Royce once at a seminar in which I over payed $70 back in 2003. He was a jerk to me then and he acted as if I was a threat and mad dogged me, he avoided rolling with me. I would have ragged dolled him like Saku did a few years before. War SHAMMY!

Yeah, Shamrock really comes off as a good guy to me. He's made a lot of mistakes and mismanaged his career (in MMA, pro wrestling, running the Lion's Den, etc.) And he's had really bad luck at times. But still, he seems like a good guy overall. And I'm really glad to see he and Frank getting along.

Royce--not so much.

Do you mean low-level guys at regional shows? Maybe. Severn sure built up his post-UFC record doing that, as did Travis Fulton. But Severn was 10-15 years younger.

Or do you mean lower-level HWs on the UFCs roster? In that case, I seriously doubt it those 50+ year olds would do well.

I mean regional part-time fighters, and green prospects that aren't that athletic.

Severn found his niche, and stayed relevant into his 50's. His last fight was less than 4 years ago, he was 53. He has an upcoming fight with Ken booked also, if UR fight is to be believed.

tumblr_nolw3iQZJy1qm018io1_540.jpg

Back