Gracie Jiu Jitsu Vol 1-12

Big Red

Green Belt
Reaction score
This has most probably been done & reviewed but I'll give me worthless $0.02 for anyone's interest.

Overall, I say this is VERY much worth watching. I've only just finished watching it over the past week & will need to really watch it more carefully to take in some parts I may have missed.

Rorion & Royce demonstrate in three different tiers, Rorion is the dominant one in about 80% of the volumes. He is cheesy & so is Royce but the respect they have & the way they say things make their littles witty comments pretty funny.

The most cheesy of the moments is Royce & Rorion going through an entire summary of the three different tiers where Royce is (intentionally) making mistakes to demonstrate their counters. Even though it is a little cringe worthy, it is a good way to summarise the techniques & answers some questions they don't address in the initial demonstration.

The three tiers are seperated into Basics, Intermediate & Advanced but the majoirty of the stuff I've covered already to a certain degree & I've only been training 1/2 a year.

As I say, you probably seen all that is on this DVD on the net, in a book or another instructional, but I found this beneficial for someone like myself who knows how to do techniques but has trouble pulling off the basics consistently. The demonstration and description by both Royce & Rorion are clear, it honestly has taught me some mistakes I make.

Good & bad things IMO.

Good: Overall clear, shows some basics aswell as double attacks & potential combinations (how to counter & how to counter that counter.. counter counter blah!). They showed how effective working the gi is.

Bad: I found the guard passing quite poor. They take too much time with the one arm under the leg technique that really leaves you open for a triangle no matter what they say. I think they should have taken some time at least with open guard passing & some more reliable closed guard passing. I could be bias to this because this is my most weak area of my weak ground game.

Definately worth a watch, I borrowed it off my friend who got off e-bay for cheap so I'm not sure how much they charge for the DVD's but for nothing, much worth it :)

Basics
1. How to close distance & escape from mounted position.
2. How to pass the guard & escape the headlock.
3. Finishing holds, armlocks & chokes.
4. (BONUS) How to handle stand up aggression.

Intermediate
1. Attacks from the mount- front & back.
2. Attacks & reversals from the guard.
3. Offense & defence from the sides mount.
4. (BONUS) ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPION- Finishing Moves.

Advanced
1. Defence against attacks from the mount.
2. Foot locks, offences & defences.
3. Finishing movews from standing up & combat strategy.
4. (BONUS) Helio Gracie interview.

Now that is what is on my DVD, it is off e bay & copyied so it may not have the bonus stuff.

As far as that guard pass goes bro, get good at it!! You have no idea how frustrating it is to have Royce do that to you when you know you should be catching a triangle...

The Sickness said:
As far as that guard pass goes bro, get good at it!! You have no idea how frustrating it is to have Royce do that to you when you know you should be catching a triangle...

Yeh I know, the technique is perfect, maybe I panic too much in that spot. I just rather use other passes.

The Sickness said:
This may be a basic/stupid question, but...

How does he do it? Just keep his inside arm bent/tucked/based against your non-triangling thigh/inner knee? Just stack fast and do the whole pass really fast so you can't counter? Just keep a good upper back posture to prevent your triangling calf from trapping him in?

I know you're not Royce, but in your experience, what do you think his secret is?

The key is to pass your arm & shoulder under one of their legs & pressing your weight down on them so they cannot close their legs.

Keep your other elbow tucked in and you can't get triangled.

Back