Gracie Barra vs Gracie Academy

i train at relsons school in hawai'i. they're fine with guys dropping by for class or just to roll. seems like guys do that quite regularly, and treated like anyone else. which one you gonna be going to?

How is that? You mean to tell me that self defense bjj is more complex than sports bjj. Your crazy. When Royce gracie fought in the UFC that was very basic bjj. Now the game is more complex. The world champion of bjj of 10 years ago wouldn't stand a chance against a fighter today.

Do you think if you could make Helio 25 years old again he could hang in there with Uriah faber or Mike brown. I highly doubt it. How about him and Cobrinha in a jiu-jitsu match. I don't think he could last the match. And if he did he would lose on points 49-0.

We have a 60 year old blackbelt at my academy that I guarantee you would tool Al bundy (Torrance blackbelt).

The self defense aspect of jiu-jitsu is good for old guys who don't want to compete and don't want to bang up there body.

You did a good enough job of wrecking your own argument that I feel no reply is necessary.

cant believe royler isnt mentioned at all in this thread

I would never train at a darn Gracie Barra academy ever!!!. The new Gracie jiu-jitsu academy in Torrance, is the best thing since the washer machine. Has huge huge mat space, good locker room, always clean and doesn't wreak of piss and sweaty Gi's. The only reason the Gracie Academy starts you off with the self defense portion is because they don't want you walking out on the streets not knowing what to do if a big guy or even a guy starts a fight with you. I swear I wish one of you sport jiu-jitsu Gracie Barra white belts would do spider guard on me or open guard, I would kick you in your ass crack and beat you senseless!.

I would never train at a darn Gracie Barra academy ever!!!. The new Gracie jiu-jitsu academy in Torrance, is the best thing since the washer machine. Has huge huge mat space, good locker room, always clean and doesn't wreak of piss and sweaty Gi's. The only reason the Gracie Academy starts you off with the self defense portion is because they don't want you walking out on the streets not knowing what to do if a big guy or even a guy starts a fight with you. I swear I wish one of you sport jiu-jitsu Gracie Barra white belts would do spider guard on me or open guard, I would kick you in your ass crack and beat you senseless!.

do they teach you to kick ppl in the ass crack at gracie academy?

lol. How old are you kid?

ooh boy yes i love where this thread is going.

I swear to god Rener has 5 different sherdog accounts.

ok,

GA people like to think that helio invented BJJ.

Fact is all the original borthers deveoped bjj.

GA markets that they are the best self defense and that they are pure gracie jj.

when whorian was just the quickest to trademark GJJ.

hate to dispel the BS myths, but most GB places have what is called a blue belt program for beginners. Here they learn a lot of basic bjj things and self defense.
yes, GB teaches takedowns and self defense shit. yes htey teach how to escape headlocks and bear hugs and shit.
lots of time they will show a move say the guilotine and show it in a bjj context and a streetfight context. or they will mention in a street fight to this though.

So anyone saying GB is sport bjj and not self defense has no idea what they are talking about. none.

most say that the main real difference is that GA likes to play from guard and GB likes to play from top.

in my experience in fighting in real life, it is much better to be on top that be on bottom.
hate to say it, but if you are on your back all it takes is one punch from the guy on top to KO you.
-ie machida vs thiago and machida vs shogun 2.

as far as a real gracie? who gives a shit.
I would rather train under braulio, drac, or braga anyday over rener.

ok,

GA people like to think that helio invented BJJ.

Fact is all the original borthers deveoped bjj.

GA markets that they are the best self defense and that they are pure gracie jj.

when whorian was just the quickest to trademark GJJ.

hate to dispel the BS myths, but most GB places have what is called a blue belt program for beginners. Here they learn a lot of basic bjj things and self defense.
yes, GB teaches takedowns and self defense shit. yes htey teach how to escape headlocks and bear hugs and shit.
lots of time they will show a move say the guilotine and show it in a bjj context and a streetfight context. or they will mention in a street fight to this though.

So anyone saying GB is sport bjj and not self defense has no idea what they are talking about. none.

most say that the main real difference is that GA likes to play from guard and GB likes to play from top.

in my experience in fighting in real life, it is much better to be on top that be on bottom.
hate to say it, but if you are on your back all it takes is one punch from the guy on top to KO you.
-ie machida vs thiago and machida vs shogun 2.

as far as a real gracie? who gives a shit.
I would rather train under braulio, drac, or braga anyday over rener.

Coming from someone who used to be on the extreme side of self defense bjj vs sport bjj and someone who recieved there blue belt trhough Gracie Academy... I believe once you develop a base learning how to defend yourself against strikes from all positions, learning the smart way to shoot in for a takedown, learning defense against chokes, and learning how to apply the submissions in a street fight atmosphere, and learning the smart times when to go for the submissions, and most importantly how to play defense then you can move on to whatever you want. Learning submissions is self defense most all submissions can be applied in a street fight. As far as the Gi, people where shirts, so that stuff can still be applied. Once you develop a base for self defense I believe any school will help you progress in self defense because learning submission counters and submissions are self defense.

I believe I am still going to go through the mastercycle online, but I am going to go to Gracie Barra Knoxville and train with Samual Braga and his crew as well.

Last edited:
it is not affiliated with the gracie academy..my opinions are my opinions,thats all..I am a complete supporter of Rorion gracie's academy as well as student. like I said before, if you are fulfilled at gracie barra than that is good right? everyone needs to do what works for them...

Yes it is affilliated with GA. It is Gracie Academy Miami. I have asked Rener this question before.

There are two GB Schools in Hawaii.. one near university, and one in Waipio.. I train at Waipio and we are a small school that usually places real high on the team/indiv medals, competing against the gazillion Relson schools out here....

What is this fascination with the "Gracie" name? Geez. This isn't the 90s. BJJ has evolved and none of the best BJJ masters today are Gracies. Yeah, I'm referring to YOU, Roger Gomes. please don't kill me

As for sport BJJ self defense - ANY sport competition caliber blue can more than handle himself in self defense.

The problem with extolling self defense is that it suffers the same problem as TMAs - you can't REALLY practice fully resisting/attacking opponents. Even with gloves, thats not the same as a barefisted, fully adrenalin attackers scratching, gouging, punching and kicking.

I would give the edge to competition veteran sport BJJers who are accustomed to adrenalin and keeping cool and dealing with fully resisting, determined opponents on a regular basis.

This argument is old. What happened to respecting people because of their amazing Jiu-jitsu, and their proven records?

Jiujitsurican: nice to see you brought back an old thread that was buried for the past 6 months.

Back