Gracie Barra vs Gracie Academy

I'll look more into it. I know he has a trademark but I read on the site that it has become a household name and he can no longer sue people unless try are using his "business name"

So are you saying that if I go to a GB school and I get into a streetfight I won't be able to defend myself because I'm learning sports bjj instead of gjj? So am I going to get beat up because I didn't go to the Gracie academy?

I think some of you guys are a little confused on Gjj/Bjj. Gracie jiu jitsu is the very structured self defense curriculum as was taught by helio. Nothing more and nothing less. If your teachers are not Directly students of helio or one of his boys (specifically royler, rickson, and rorion) then you are not learning Gracie jiu jitsu. Plain and simple. That's coming from Helios own words a few years back at a seminar.
And it's possible for a direct decendent of helio to NOT do the gjj self defense as well. I repeat, Gjj is JUST the self defense portion. This is an easy way to distinguish the names.

Actually your wrong on this. Carlos Gracie Sr was the one who taught helio bjj. Helio and Rorian stole the limelight but Graciebarra is also Gracie jiu-jitsu. GB has a self defense cirriculum. As a matter of fact students are required to attend 32 of these classes before being allowed to the advanced classes which concentrates on Sports bjj. So Graciebarra does preach self defense fundamentals first.

I mean I have nothing against the Gracie academy but sports bjj is alot more complex than what they teach at the Gracie academy. How many times can you learn the guillotine choke and headlock escapes.

Also do you guys actually free roll against each other? Is there any sports bjj in the cirriculum?

Actually your wrong on this. Carlos Gracie Sr was the one who taught helio bjj. Helio and Rorian stole the limelight but Graciebarra is also Gracie jiu-jitsu. GB has a self defense cirriculum. As a matter of fact students are required to attend 32 of these classes before being allowed to the advanced classes which concentrates on Sports bjj. So Graciebarra does preach self defense fundamentals first.

I mean I have nothing against the Gracie academy but sports bjj is alot more complex than what they teach at the Gracie academy. How many times can you learn the guillotine choke and headlock escapes.

Also do you guys actually free roll against each other? Is there any sports bjj in the cirriculum?

Firstly I'm not "wrong" on anything. That came from Helios own words. And if you think Carlos and helio were doing the same shit you need to do your homework. Helio completely changed the techniques that Carlos was doing. (They eventually were pretty much doing the same shit though )For multiple reasons. Helio started teaching before he ever actually trained jujutsu. He just watched classes. These are well documented so I don't wanna sit here and try and convince you. I've heard all these stories when having dinner with Pedro sauer too.

Secondly I wouldn't know what the Gracie academy does because I train under Pedro sauer and Rafael lovato jr.

Also not denying that GB or anybody does the self defense. But it's NOT trademark (literally) Gracie jiu jitsu unless you are doing the self defense techniques as taught by helio Gracie.

Back in the early 90's we used have the guys from the Gracie Academy come and visit our school once in a while.....I remember a blue belt came in one time and rolled with us...he got tapped by white belts.....and that was back in the 90's...I wonder if that still the case today

So are you saying that if I go to a GB school and I get into a streetfight I won't be able to defend myself because I'm learning sports bjj instead of gjj? So am I going to get beat up because I didn't go to the Gracie academy?

Take a test to see if this is the case..... next time you decide to roll have you and your training partner put on some gloves. You guys add full power strikes as you roll.....if you can function the same as you would without strikes then you are good to go...you don't have to worry about getting your butt kicked in a real fight.

I don't put too much emphasis into the whole "Gracie jiu jitsu is for self defense and brazilian jiu jitsu is for sport"

IMO that's bullshit. I practice both. self defense AND sport. gi AND nogi.

Gracie Barra seems like they have some good academies out there and are doing well in competition. How does their style of BJJ differ from Gracie Academy's BJJ? Who has the better academies in your opinion?
Gracie Barra teaches the three components of Jiu-Jitsu.....Competition, self defense and vale-tudo...so they are more complete....Gracie Academy teaches everything but competition....that is the difference...they believe that teaching sport techniques will hinder you in a real fight.....this could be true if you go to a school that only teaches sport Jiu-Jitsu....but this in not the case with Gracie Barra so they are good to go.

Firstly I'm not "wrong" on anything. That came from Helios own words. And if you think Carlos and helio were doing the same shit you need to do your homework. Helio completely changed the techniques that Carlos was doing. (They eventually were pretty much doing the same shit though )For multiple reasons. Helio started teaching before he ever actually trained jujutsu. He just watched classes. These are well documented so I don't wanna sit here and try and convince you. I've heard all these stories when having dinner with Pedro sauer too.

Secondly I wouldn't know what the Gracie academy does because I train under Pedro sauer and Rafael lovato jr.

Also not denying that GB or anybody does the self defense. But it's NOT trademark (literally) Gracie jiu jitsu unless you are doing the self defense techniques as taught by helio Gracie.

Self defense jiu-jitsu is so basic. The self defense barra teaches or anything that any jiu-jitsu school teaches is similiar to what helio teaches. BJJ was very basic in Helio's time. The bjj of today is much more complex and the athletes are much better. I think helio knows this and thats why he knocks sports jiu-jitsu.

With all due respect if helio in his prime competed in the worlds today or fought a good 135 pound MMA fighter of today he would have got mauled.

BJJ has evolved into a sport. Do you really think that a Torrance blackbelt would beat a world class black belt that competes and has never done self defense jiu-jitsu in a street fight.

Rolling day in and day out is what gets you ready for the street fights and not self defense techniques taught be helio or anyone else.

Self defense jiu-jitsu is so basic. The self defense barra teaches or anything that any jiu-jitsu school teaches is similiar to what helio teaches. BJJ was very basic in Helio's time. The bjj of today is much more complex and the athletes are much better. I think helio knows this and thats why he knocks sports jiu-jitsu.

With all due respect if helio in his prime competed in the worlds today or fought a good 135 pound MMA fighter of today he would have got mauled.

BJJ has evolved into a sport. Do you really think that a Torrance blackbelt would beat a world class black belt that competes and has never done self defense jiu-jitsu in a street fight.

Rolling day in and day out is what gets you ready for the street fights and not self defense techniques taught be helio or anyone else.

And nowhere did I disagree with this. In fact I think sport is absolutely essential. All I was saying is Gracie jiu jitsu by name is helio lineage only, with more emphasis on SD.

Rorion owns the Trademark because the Gracie family was , and still is too big. He trademarked it to ensure that the Gracie name would be associated with the jiu jitsu of his father: old school self defense jiu jitsu.

All other Gracies teach under their name , Renzo Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Rickson Gracie Jiu Jitsu, etc.

Every single statement in this post is incorrect.

Rorion owns the Trademark because the Gracie family was , and still is too big. He trademarked it to ensure that the Gracie name would be associated with the jiu jitsu of his father: old school self defense jiu jitsu.

All other Gracies teach under their name , Renzo Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Rickson Gracie Jiu Jitsu, etc.

I'm sure that's why he trademarked it . . .

I believe that the fact that the Gracie Academy is the ONLY gym in the world that follows original BJJ self defense curriculum pretty much establishes that. I don't see a single bad thing about the Gracie Academy: solid curriculum, great teachers, great structure, and they really care about passing on their family's message, it's not just about BJJ but they also champion their family's diet, which is free for anyone to find out about and use. You can even find videos of Rorion, Renner, on YouTube, teaching recipes and everything.

And I am Gracie Barra. We had some self defense classes, very worthy ones too, with a good teacher who's a small guy and been in plenty of fights, Ze Radiola. We usually also had slapfights, slapfight free-for-all (10 guys brawling), full contact with headgear, etc. About once or twice a month tops.

Most BJJ gyms in Brazil have the occasional self-defense class but each day it's less and less due to the importance of competition for the image of schools. They simply cut it to have more time for sport training.

I actually live about 5 minutes away from the Gracie Academy headquarters in Torrance, CA, but I drive 20 minutes to train under Pan-American champion Dimitrios Mavraganis. I don't want to say anything disrespectful about Rorion, Rener, or Ryron, but lets just say that most of the students at my school (including my coach) are former students of the Gracie Academy who left looking for greener pastures. :icon_chee

Every single statement in this post is incorrect.

How is that? You mean to tell me that self defense bjj is more complex than sports bjj. Your crazy. When Royce gracie fought in the UFC that was very basic bjj. Now the game is more complex. The world champion of bjj of 10 years ago wouldn't stand a chance against a fighter today.

Do you think if you could make Helio 25 years old again he could hang in there with Uriah faber or Mike brown. I highly doubt it. How about him and Cobrinha in a jiu-jitsu match. I don't think he could last the match. And if he did he would lose on points 49-0.

We have a 60 year old blackbelt at my academy that I guarantee you would tool Al bundy (Torrance blackbelt).

The self defense aspect of jiu-jitsu is good for old guys who don't want to compete and don't want to bang up there body.

How is that? You mean to tell me that self defense bjj is more complex than sports bjj. Your crazy. When Royce gracie fought in the UFC that was very basic bjj. Now the game is more complex. The world champion of bjj of 10 years ago wouldn't stand a chance against a fighter today.

Do you think if you could make Helio 25 years old again he could hang in there with Uriah faber or Mike brown. I highly doubt it. How about him and Cobrinha in a jiu-jitsu match. I don't think he could last the match. And if he did he would lose on points 49-0.

We have a 60 year old blackbelt at my academy that I guarantee you would tool Al bundy (Torrance blackbelt).

The self defense aspect of jiu-jitsu is good for old guys who don't want to compete and don't want to bang up there body.

dude, really bad examples for your argument.

mikey triangles,what type of koolaid do like best?!!!

It depends, do you want to learn gracie jiujitsu from a gracie? or do you want to learn bjj from an instructor that may or may not have ever even met a gracie? the gracie academy is not about self defense, the core intent is to make the student the best streetfighter they can be. When you go to the academy you will see gracies teaching, guys like ralek gracie who is a professional fighter and has fought in PRIDE. my view is that if i want to learn gracie jiujitsu why not learn it from the gracies instead of a school that is deemed an "associate" school.
ROFL

I really didn't want to bash anyone, but I don't think I can resist this one...

This is absolutely one of the most retarded things that I've ever read.

Back