Gracie Barra Tampa gets gold at the Sambo World Cup

Aesopian

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Originally posted here: Gold at the Sambo World Cup

Justin Higgins, a blue belt at Gracie Barra Tampa, was selected for the US Sombo team in September. The tournament took place in Nice, France on the November 27, 2005. He took first place in his division to earn the title of +96K 2005 world champion. He won all matches by submission (leglocks), with his quickest match lasting 20 seconds and the longest only 2 minutes. The US team tied with Canada for third place overall. Iran took first and France took second.
www.tampabjj.com

That's surprising. I would think the Russians would be top dawgs at every Sambo competition...

I'm still surprised a Iranian team even exists, let alone won the world title.

Aesopian said:
I'm still surprised a Iranian team even exists, let alone won the world title.

Yes this really surprised me too. I thought that we were really into wrestling. I didn't even know Sombo existed in Iran.

Iran got's hella good judo too

congrats to Justin.. the guy is the man in judo as well.

Wow... Congratulations. Does he have a background in Sambo?

Just out of curiosity, how would one even go about getting scouted by the US Sambo Team? I would love to try and a spot on the team....in a few years.. :p

But seriously, I want to try out for the team one day. Anyone have any information on this?

Is he only a blue belt? I would figure to win any sort of international title, you would have to have been training since you were dick high to a caterpillar.

He has previous training in judo and sambo.

Did this school move from Hitmaster? I'm thinking of going to a few classes. Does he charge for daily classes?

The school in Hitmaster is closed. The Clearwater school is still open though.

we are trying to set up so we can still train at the hitmaster school. The guy who owns the strength and conditioning school there bought all the mats and still has them there. We talked to him about paying a monthly amount to come use the mats. So we will probably be training there 3-4 days a week.. depends though, ill let you know if we get any further with this.

yeah but thats because he hasnt been doing bjj that long..

His father was his first Judo instructor so he has been doing judo since being a kid.
He also did sambo for a long time.. The combination of being a black in sambo and judo im sure had something to do with it.

Nice guy, real good take downs.

Back