Gracie Academy's lack of respect towards Matt Hughes

Alzi_

Orange Belt
Reaction score
On the Gracie Academy's website, there's a piece discussing the Royce/Hughes fight which basically states that Matt Hughes' win was really a victory for Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. I expected this kind of excuse from them so I wasn't surprised but what did upset me was the lack of respect shown towards Matt Hughes. This is what they wrote regarding Matt:

http://www.gracieacademy.com/ufc.htm

The Gracie Academy would like to congratulate Mr. Hughes on his ability to recognize the importance of incorporating Gracie Jiu-Jitsu into his arsenal of techniques and on his dedication to achieving such a high level of proficiency in these techniques.

Since 1925, the objective of the Gracie Family has been to show the world the importance of knowing Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. The Gracie Family would like to thank Mr. Hughes for his commitment to the

We all knew this was coming, the Gracie family thinks they are superior.. always have.

my fav part from the link:

On May 27, 2006, Royce Gracie would return to the UFC to face the current welterweight champion Matt Hughes. When the bell rang and the fight started, Matt and Royce got into a clinch and went to the ground. Matt was able to pass the guard (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) and establish the sidemount (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) from which he was able to attempt a Kimura lock (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) from which he transitioned into a straight arm lock (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu). Royce was able to untangle his arm and in an attempt to get to a better position, he went to his knees. At this point, Matt quickly spun to a backmount and with his hooks (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) in controlled Royce enough to be able to end the fight with an array of punches to the back of the head.

jadizm said:

On May 27, 2006, Royce Gracie would return to the UFC to face the current welterweight champion Matt Hughes. When the bell rang and the fight started, Matt and Royce got into a clinch and went to the ground. Matt was able to pass the guard (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) and establish the sidemount (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) from which he was able to attempt a Kimura lock (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) from which he transitioned into a straight arm lock (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu). Royce was able to untangle his arm and in an attempt to get to a better position, he went to his knees. At this point, Matt quickly spun to a backmount and with his hooks (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) in controlled Royce enough to be able to end the fight with an array of punches to the back of the head.

Now thats just fucking ridiculous. Normally I dont like to take these kind of things to serious, but thats just fucking obscene...

On May 27, 2006, Royce Gracie would return to the UFC to face the current welterweight champion Matt Hughes. When the bell rang and the fight started, Matt and Royce got into a clinch and went to the ground(wrestling). Matt was able to pass the guard (he went right to side control off the takedown, wrestling) and establish the sidemount (pin, wrestling) from which he was able to attempt a Kimura lock (, Kimura? Judo) from which he transitioned into a straight arm lock (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, Ill give ya that). Royce was able to untangle his arm and in an attempt to get to a better position, he went to his knees. At this point, Matt quickly spun to a backmount and with his hooks (wrestling) in controlled Royce enough to be able to end the fight with an array of punches to the back of the head.

Yeah whatever.
Did they congratulate Sakuraba for the same thing.

Nice, never mind those same things could have been learned from a Judo school. if Karo, had defeated Royce, theyd try and pawn it off that he did it via GJJ

The straight arm lock did exist before GJJ
True also I wonder if they ever credit wrestling when they win via takedown to mount to strikes from the mount?
I mean you dont need a LICK of BJJ to do that and I would wager a guess that they heavily were influenced by wrestling in their own style.
LOL
Just goes to show ya how egotistical they are and the AGENDA they are pushing.
I wonder if in the early UFC had Shamrock got the ankle lock if they would have produced the same type of statement..
NM I dont wonder I KNOW that would have been the case.

Soon they'll claim that they invented punching and kicking, too. That family is all about the money, it seems, so much for honor. They just want to advertise.

In fairness they're kind of right - Matt did use some BJJ skills to beat Royce, but I do think that message comes over more as patronising Matt than congratulating him and giving him props for being the better man that night.

In fairness they're kind of right - Matt did use some BJJ skills to beat Royce, but I do think that message comes over more as patronising Matt than congratulating him and giving him props for being the better man that night.

No doubt Terrier but they did then and continue to add techniqes, subs, takedowns from other styles yet they dont post "Well thanks to Kimuras Judo Royce was able to...."
or "Thanks to the sinngle and double leg found in wrestling, Royce as able to takedwon ________ and gain top postion and win via __________"

Cmon everyone crosstrains. ESPECIALLY the gracies.

Extremely self serving comments.

I agree with what the Gracie's say. Pat Miletich =BJJ Blackbelt I can guarantee most of Matt's training for this fight was BJJ related. Anyone could call bullshit to what the Gracies are saying if the Miletich Martial Art camp was something like Shamrocks Lion's Den a Anti-BJJ camp. But its not, the leader of the camp is a Black Belt in BJJ so they do have a point.

Please stop directing your hatred towards "they" and "the Gracies". This is all Rorion.

Most of the Gracies are very open to crosstraining and give wrestling, judo, MT, boxing, etc. their dues. Carlinhos was just saying that he does judo and MT too, and he's said how impressed he was with the drills and takedowns Roger, Renzo and Kyra were doing with their wrestling coach before the last ADCC.

jayb said:
Soon they'll claim that they invented punching and kicking, too. That family is all about the money, it seems, so much for honor. They just want to advertise.

lol you forgot to put the (Gracie Jiu Jitsu) after punching and kicking.

jadizm said:

BWAHHAHAHA!!! I think theyve officially lost it.

It seems they want to trademark these moves.. in Rorion's dreamworld, you'd have to pay royalties every time you submit someone with a straight armbar.

Yeah, they forgot to mention "rained down punches on the back of Royce's head (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu)."

Not all Gracies are tools like this ... Just Rorion and, to a lesser extent, Royce.

Wait I got a teleptathic communication from Alexander the great (im half greek I guess he's related)..

I would like to thank the gracies for re-introducing ground submission grappling back to the world. I would further like to thank Matt Hughes and MFS for incorperating wrestling along with submissions and boxing which is what Pankration ahs alwasys been about. As you know I travelled thrugh Asia many years before christ and during my travels I left behind some of my less skilled but more well hung soldiers to "spread the word" of Pankration. You have seen the results of these efforts in the form of the different "Asian" martial arts that began to develop around the same time. Now many years later we have come full circle..HAIL ALEXANDERS GREEK PANKRATION!

end of message..LOL...

They've raped judo for years. Now do you see why us judoka were always bitching and moaning? We've been dealing with it ever since UFC 1 when we sat up and said, "HEY!!!! That's judo!!!" and they said, "Judo? What's judo?"
Ignore the man behind the curtain...

rorionwins4id.jpg

Back