Gracie Academy: Need to train and its only 1 mile away but..

Cardio

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Anyone with Gracie Academy experience please feel free to chime in.
I'm visiting a new city, staying with relatives and I have the urge to train. I don't have a car and the nearest
training place is a popular Gracie Academy school, only 1 mile away, and I have a bicycle so its easy to get to.

I have a Black-belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, although browsing the Gracie Academy website gives me no information about drop-in classes or accepting Black-belts from other schools to train there.

From everything I can see it looks geared on taking in people new to Jiu-Jitsu and training them from White to Black.

I want to train there because it seems like a good place to train and its very nearby and practicial but I'm just wondering how it goes with drop-ins and people from other schools.

This is kind of an odd thread. You don't even mention the name of the gym or where it is located so that people that might have been there can give information. Your a black belt so you should know the deal just call them up and see if they are cool with people dropping in to train with them.

Are you talking about the main gracie academy headquarters in torrance?

Dojo storm them. Show up, challenge their best black belt and take over ownership of the school.

Stop In and ask lol. Most places will have you pay a mat fee, free trial, or especially if you are a black belt may be ok with you just dropping in while in the area. Nobody here will have the answer for that particular academy

What city and what is the name of the school?

I think we're past the days of only training with affiliates / being suspected of stealing gym tech here in the US. I imagine it'll be the same as any other BJJ school, in that everyone is going to try to fucking murder you as the out-of-towner. Just call them.

Is there more than one Gracie Academy? The description seems pretty apt for the only one i know of

Proper etiquette is to show up late to whatever class you want. Show the lower belts your way of doing the technique. Then when you roll with the head black belts of the school you go 100% with them.

Proper etiquette is to show up late to whatever class you want. Show the lower belts your way of doing the technique. Then when you roll with the head black belts of the school you go 100% with them.

F12 etiquette brah, don’t forget the coleslaw

Lol Slaterston, don’t forget to leave an upper decker in the toilet as well.

Just go in with like a purple belt or something if you afraid of walking in as Black. Its probably more common for purples or even blues to drop into different schools.

I didn't expect so many passive aggressive and sarcastic responses, even for Sherdog.

I just assumed someone knew the drop-in etiquette for a GA Affiliate School, since it seems they more strict and have nothing about drop-ins on the website, though 90% of other gyms do. And I assumed they're all run basically the same way.

To save myself the trip and possible embarrassment of being told I can't train there. Not saying I won't be able to.

Why don’t you just call them?

This is my experience:

I got my blackbelt from Checkmat under a notable coach and competed against all sorts of Gracie team members. I moved and had to switch teams to 10th Planet. However, I had a coworker who was at a Gracie school. I popped in and watched a belt ceremony where he got his black belt. I came to an open mat the next day.

This was a very notable Gracie school, and had guys there you would know by name. Before I even put my gi on, they were very friendly and open about everything. Definitely didnt seem closed off or trying to sell anything. I rolled with all of their black belts that were there, and even subbed (got lucky) a very notable blackbelt you would know by name. These guys all asked me to come back, when did I want to train again? Told me I could drop in whenever I wanted. Even went as far as asking if switching teams was a possibility. Maybe the Gracie academy you are referencing is a different vibe, but these guys were some of the most accommodating and genuinely nice people I came across in Southern California. They were killers too. Even the head coach who is in his 40's gave me all I could handle.

The website doesnt give any details and almost seems gimmicky, but in my experience, the coaches are really good guys and will most likely work with you if you are a black belt and you arent going to get wrecked by their lower belts.

Anyone with Gracie Academy experience please feel free to chime in.
I'm visiting a new city, staying with relatives and I have the urge to train. I don't have a car and the nearest
training place is a popular Gracie Academy school, only 1 mile away, and I have a bicycle so its easy to get to.

I have a Black-belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, although browsing the Gracie Academy website gives me no information about drop-in classes or accepting Black-belts from other schools to train there.

From everything I can see it looks geared on taking in people new to Jiu-Jitsu and training them from White to Black.

I want to train there because it seems like a good place to train and its very nearby and practicial but I'm just wondering how it goes with drop-ins and people from other schools.

Youre a bjj black belt but have the courage of a white belt on his first day, ffs man, go try it out for yourself

I feel like most academies openly welcome black belts to come train. Thats good training for all involved.

Maybe other people have had different experiences than I have, but I’ve found that I’ve always been welcomed when visiting out of town gyms. I usually reach out via email though to let them know I’m coming by, and to ask about mat fee.

That being said, when you’re a higher belt visiting a school, don’t be surprised when all of their blue and purple belts try to take one of your limbs home as a trophy.:D Not in a disrespectful way, just expect them to want to test themselves against you.

Back