Grabbing fingers

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by zinndawg, Oct 8, 2010.

1. zinndawg

zinndawg Black Belt

I've been training more consistently lately, and i've noticed a steady improvement in my game (with some hiccups here and there). Anyways, i've been having more success taking people's backs lately and getting the hooks in. From there I like to work a couple of collar choke variations. I've had the same problem with a few different people that i train with, where I noticed that as I try to slip my thumb into their lapel, they start grabbing a squeezing my fingers. Now, they're not trying to submit me by doing this, but are preventing me from being able to do much of anything. So far I haven't said anything, because all three of the times it was against high blue belts (i'm a white belt). As far as i know, you cannot grab fingers, so this pisses me off. At the same time, I don't want to be an asshole telling higher ranks to stop grabbing them.

Anyone else have experience with this?

2. stimbox

stimbox Orange Belt

You can't grab and bend individual fingers, but you can grab the hand and try an pull it away. I'd be pissed if my partner was bending fingers trying to submit me.

3. Hamsterdam

Hamsterdam Orange Belt

IIRC you can grab no less than three fingers, but you can't submit someone with them. You shouldn't have a problem pulling them out of someones grip though...

4. zinndawg

zinndawg Black Belt

really? i wasn't aware that you could grab fingers at all.

5. mrpopenfresh

mrpopenfresh Red Belt

Well yeah, it's like hand control.

6. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

I agree, you can agree 3-4 fingers together or even the thumb. but you are not allowed to break them.

7. zinndawg

zinndawg Black Belt

can you peel the thumb by itself?

8. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

yes but i peel off either side of the hand instead of grabbing the thumb = more leverage.

9. Black Marble

Black Marble Yellow Belt

It's actually pretty painfull to to have someone with a strong grip squeeze the crap out of your fingers. Almost feels like your hand is gonna split at the knuckles

10. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Orange Belt

as long as they arent grabbing just one its ok. I will usually grab 3-4 fingers instead of the palm.

11. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

3 fingers is the rule.

Also if they start grabbing your fingers and it's annoying you, you can always use your other free hand and cup their forehead and pull back. It's a mildly annoying thing to do, but then again so is grabbing my fingers.

Once you start pulling their head back they generally let go of the fingers to try and defend the neck. If they dont let go, then you havent lost or given up anything, if they do let go then you have the hand free to try and lapel choke them.