Government employees created GoFundMe pages to survive the shutdown. That may be against the law

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seems like the shutdown these government employees are getting donations from go fund me and apparently its against the law

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/17/politics/shutdown-employees-catch-22-trnd/index.html

They could go to jail
The federal law the government employees might be running afoul of is part of the United States Code that deals with the salaries paid to government officials and employees, under a section called "Bribery, Graft and Conflicts of Interest." In a nutshell, it says federal employees aren't supposed to supplement their salaries with outside income.
If they do, the penalties could be steep.
Punishment could be up to five years in prison, the law states. Employees also could be fined up to $50,000 for each violation or the amount of the compensation they received, which ever amount is greater.
"The primary law in question is a criminal law that prohibits payments in exchange for an employee's federal service," Walter Shaub, the former director of the US Office of Government Ethics, told CNN.

The reasoning behind the law: A federal employee who accepts outside payments could be susceptible to improper influence that impacts how he or she does their job.
But it's murky. If people are sending these employees money online primarily out of sympathy, that might be OK, Shaub said. But if people are sending money to them primarily because they're federal workers, that could be a problem legally.
"It is entirely possible that the government would decide this conduct violates that law, so I personally would never have done something like this while I was in government," said Shaub. "The potential penalties are quite severe."
Many of the GoFundMe campaigns started popping up in early January, after it became clear that federal workers affected by the shutdown might start missing paychecks. People are asking for help to pay their rent or mortgage, to buy food or even purchase diapers for their infant children. If they have questions about the legality of the funds they receive this way, there's no way to get an answer from the government right now.

trump should send them some mcd's. the most infuriating thing for me was that he couldn't even get some mcribs the goddamn leader of the free world couldn't get mcribs.

They should just recruit the hot ones for a webcam business. The ugly ones can do behind the scenes administrative support for the webcam.

You request money as a private citizen, don't use your job, title and sure as hell no pictures and can't accept from a prohibited source.

The are legal workarounds

“In a nutshell, it says federal employees aren't supposed to supplement their salaries with outside income.“

When I was in the military i remember seeing a lower enlisted person also working at the base Taco Bell. I have no sea if that’s relevant but there u go,

They should just recruit the hot ones for a webcam business. The ugly ones can do behind the scenes administrative support for the webcam.
lol. I concur.

You request money as a private citizen, don't use your job, title and sure as hell no pictures and can't accept from a prohibited source.

The are legal workarounds
lol they would probably have to be lawyers to be smart enough to use legal work arounds to keep the feds and irs out of their asshole.

They should have saved more of their money. They only have themselves to blame.

this is more war room worthy than mayberry.

When I was in the military i remember seeing a lower enlisted person also working at the base Taco Bell. I have no sea if that’s relevant but there u go,

Same here. In the U.S. Army, I saw it at Ft. Benning, Ft. Bragg, and Ft. Hood.

God bless the ice cream truck driver (soldier) who could find us anywhere when we were in the middle of nowhere doing exercises in the summer at Ft. Benning, GA. Compass and military map.

Off Duty Employment for Military Members
Link: https://militarydollar.com/2017/08/28/off-duty-employment-for-military-members/

I believe the reason behind this law is to normally keep high ranking government officials from receiving 'bribes' or outside money that could influence their work/decisions in the U.S. government. This is usually a big deal with government contractors.

I feel the same way. I hope the IRS rips them a new one when they don't declare the extra income on their taxes. All of the Government employees affect by the shutdown will be getting back pay as well.

Nope. There has to be the appearance of a conglict of interest. That's a really subjective and easily crossed line, but this doesn't even cross that line. The parties are anonymous and thus cannot impose or have imposed a conflict of interest.

Seriously though, 90 percent of the government agencies that are furloughed are useless.

lol they would probably have to be lawyers to be smart enough to use legal work arounds to keep the feds and irs out of their asshole.

Our ethics lawyers told us how to do a legal crowd source vs illegal.

Because our ethics lawers aren't being paid either.

Last edited:
“In a nutshell, it says federal employees aren't supposed to supplement their salaries with outside income.“

We can get second jobs, lots of bullshit bad info ITT.

Fuck off with that.

You have guys in the Coast Guard who just graduated basic training. How the fuck were they supposed to save to live for 3 months when they were in for 2?

Nobody enlists in the military to get rich. Not everyone is in a bad way yet, but have some compassion.

Uhmm it's a government job on a 21st century American economy, you think these people make enough to save?

Back