Got Strength Gym Question of the Week

Jake Pudenz

Green Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Hey everyone. The owner of the gym that I coach at is starting to do a question of the week video where he answers a question about training. I realize that this video is addressing nutrition but I believe that, overall, the video will fit in better in this forum rather than the diet and supplement forum.

I thought I would post the first video here. We would really appreciate any constructive feedback or general comments you may have. Any questions are also welcome and if anyone has any future questions that you would like to see addressed in a video of the week, let us know.

Also, while watching the video bear in mind that the majority of our athletes are high school athletes.

Can't see the video at the moment; otherwise I'd comment. This sounds like a great idea though, and hopefully you keep posting them here.

One question I would ask is if his athletes could only do 5 strength training exercises, what would they be and why?

Thanks for the response. I'll try to get it fixed when I get home. I'll also make sure to pass your question along to him.

Sorry, I meant I can't see the video because my work has blocked it.

Cool video.

Its definitely good advice for HS athletes, or the general public for that matter.

Its weird because I always have choc milk with whey protein post workout and the trainers at my gym are constantly telling me choc milk isnt good post workout. :)

Why "eat consistently throughout the day"? As long as they meet their caloric needs, 3 meals or 6 meals doesn't really make a difference.

Why "eat consistently throughout the day"? As long as they meet their caloric needs, 3 meals or 6 meals doesn't really make a difference.

I think its fairly well known that from a nutritional standpoint, it is much better to give your body a constant source of fuel rather than piling it in at one time and letting your blood glucose deplete. That is why it is better to have 6 more spaced out "meals" rather than the 3 traditional meals.

I posted the first video late so we have already gotten the second video made. Like before, we'd really appreciate any feedback or questions you may have as well as questions you'd like to see addressed.

I think its fairly well known that from a nutritional standpoint, it is much better to give your body a constant source of fuel rather than piling it in at one time and letting your blood glucose deplete. That is why it is better to have 6 more spaced out "meals" rather than the 3 traditional meals.

I'm not sure I know what you mean. Your glucose stores don't just deplete from lunch to dinner (assuming your macros are in order, and if they are not then many small meals aren't going to help anyway), unless you train in between (and that's what the pwo is for).

This is definitely not the right kind of advice, if you're only going to give a high-school athlete "the 3 most important athletic nutrition pointers".

Last edited:
I posted the first video late so we have already gotten the second video made. Like before, we'd really appreciate any feedback or questions you may have as well as questions you'd like to see addressed.

meh I think any more than 2 workouts a week in season is just too much for a highschool athlete. coupled with school, homework, practices, and a weekly game, there isn't enough time to rest. The workouts should be for primarily maintenance and injury prevention. few athletes will make noticeable gains and "peak" at the end of a season.

it may be fairly well known, that doesn't make it right. it actually points out the fact that most people getting paid to give nutrition advice aren't thinking about what they're saying, or they haven't investigated the reasoning behind what they're saying. they just repeat what they heard online or in an online "certification" course.

I'm not saying that is what your coach is like, because he didn't give any reason for the feeding frequency, you did.

essentially, there is no physiological benefit to more frequent feeding, especially not every 2-3 hours. your blood sugar (glucose) is fairly well regulated, and there's not even much sugar in your blood anyway. I don't see why that would be a major concern unless you were a diabetic. after a meal blood sugar doesn't really 'deplete' in the way it sounds like you're implying, it simply goes back down to normal. There might be a big spike due to a high-carb meal, or eating a lot after a long period, but soon enough you'll be back to normal.

If you wanted to argue about having consistent blood sugar levels throughout the day, you might be better served to fast all day and only have one or two meals during a short eating period of 4-5 hours, maybe at the end of the day. One meal before and one after training. Throughout the rest of the day your blood sugar would essentially remain unchanged, which seems to be your intention.

Admittedly, nutrition is my weak point when it comes to coaching since I've only taken a couple of classes on it and none of them were sports nutrition classes. I'll have my coach type out why he believes it is important and then I will post it here.

Admittedly, nutrition is my weak point when it comes to coaching since I've only taken a couple of classes on it and none of them were sports nutrition classes. I'll have my coach type out why he believes it is important and then I will post it here.

That would be interesting. I imagine the answer has something to do with getting kids to eat more more, in absolute terms, rather than any voodoo metabolism thing (eating more often has zero effect on metabolism), so that they can gain size and strength.

That would be interesting. I imagine the answer has something to do with getting kids to eat more more, in absolute terms, rather than any voodoo metabolism thing (eating more often has zero effect on metabolism), so that they can gain size and strength.

We definitely do like to preach consuming plenty of calories to our athletes, especially since the majority of our athletes are still early in their development.

Like I said though, I will have my coach type up an explanatory response as to why he recommends that and then I will post it here.

Great video, Jake. I'm looking forward to more of them. Do you have a training log here?

You have to remember, that athletes expend a lot of energy throughout the day. It may be tough to pack in all the macros and the large amount of calories needed in such a short time. Spacing meals out does help with that.

You have to remember, that athletes expend a lot of energy throughout the day. It may be tough to pack in all the macros and the large amount of calories needed in such a short time. Spacing meals out does help with that.

That is significantly different than saying "it's imperative to eat every 2-3 hours". I would just say that you need to have a high "daily quota" of calories (as well as protein in particular) and make sure you eat it all before the end of the day. How you go about it is really a matter of what is more practical for each individual.

EDIT:
We definitely do like to preach consuming plenty of calories to our athletes, especially since the majority of our athletes are still early in their development.
This is exactly what he should have said to a high-school athlete instead.

That is significantly different than saying "it's imperative to eat every 2-3 hours". I would just say that you need to have a high "daily quota" of calories (as well as protein in particular) and make sure you eat it all before the end of the day. How you go about it is really a matter of what is more practical for each individual.

EDIT:
This is exactly what he should have said to a high-school athlete instead.

I agree. I'm a firm believer that pre and post meals are the only TRULY significant meals. The placement of other meals is up to the athlete's personal preference.

I agree. I'm a firm believer that pre and post meals are the only TRULY significant meals. The placement of other meals is up to the athlete's personal preference.

I agree i actually only eat when I get hungry (which is at least four meals a day). I don't stuff myself either.

I heard that eating smaller meals frequently keeps your metabolism spiked, as opposed to eating bigger meals two or three times a day???

I had heard for a long time that 6 meals per day trained your body to store less fat. This always sounded like bs to me because if I'm not using that energy, how would my body burn it off? I'm not a nutritionist so I couldn't really say.

I've heard varying stories about pre/post workout meals. Pre-workout meals seam to me to be mandatory. More fuel means more energy into your workout period. But the post-workout meal has eluded me factually. Some people say it's important to eat a large meal to restore glucose stores; others have said that eating directly after a workout isn't necessary and that water is all that is needed to prevent muscle deterioration.

The best advice I've heard that I follow is to eat when you feel hungry, and stop eating once you don't feel hungry (not stop eating when the all of the food is gone). That shit your parents told you about cleaning your plate is bunk; we have refrigerators and aluminum foil, and we can use them.

Back