Got some new Nogi stuff to showcase...

The Silencer said:
Stupid question, but had this on my mind for a while now and never bothered asking.

What's the deal with Nogi having the same name as the brazilian comp Nogi that sponsers Vitor?

I'm sure Chris would love to give you the 411 on this.

www.SSFgear.com

NOGI US!!!! That Other Nogi = Boooo. But Yeah, BSIMM, Thats the advantage of getting home a little bit early to snatch the box before it goes under the XMas tree :p

I'll play:

Jan. 2003 Chris and I came up with this crap and started on logos and products...sold our first stuff in mid to late '03.

Here's a copy of a press realease from ADCC news:

"New Fightwear rocks Brazil!
Submitted by: Team TATAME
Posted On 01/31/2005

Launched in December by businessmen Walmir Barroso and Ricardo Mayer, starting in one shopping center in Rio de Janeiro"

If my math is correct...They're close to 2 years late.

Now, Chris and I can't prove the exact time of conception but, we have proof of existence in late '03.
Iguess we never thought someone would pull this crap so we really didn't think about the whole Trademark thing.

Now our TM is almost done and they have just applied for one here.

The thing that sucks is, This guy is a friggin' big time laywer in Brazil with tons of expendable cash(look who he's payin') and we've been working our nuts off just to scrape by...With the help of our loyal supporters.

That's pretty much it.

Well i dont think you guys have much to worry about. Your products speak for themselfs.

That sucks, but are you doing the Federal trademark for $500 I believe, I did that with my old domain back in like 01.

dude i thought for sure you were just like the us rep for them!@@ oh snap!!! i hate them now too

Nice pics!
I want the beanies, but I have a question about them.
I'm pretty picky about my beanies. They have to have a certain fit. I like them to be form fitting around my (allegedly mis-shapen) skull. But to stop right around my eyebrows without having to fold up a cuff. I can't ever tell by looking at pics, so to anybody who's tried them on, how do they fit?
I'd love to see pics of people wearing beanies. I REALLY want to get some, but being so picky about the fit, and not being able to actually try one on SUCKS!

Buy it and return it if you don't like it. I think you will though

Yeah, what Chris said. How did you go about filing the papers without paying the fee Chris because I had to hire a lawyer as well to help me do all that crap. $300 an hr isn't cheap.

I was laughing wishing it was only $500. We are pushing 10K with a lawyer over this stuff right now

I hope it works out for you and your Buisness Partner Chris

The Real Chris Brennan said:
I was laughing wishing it was only $500. We are pushing 10K with a lawyer over this stuff right now

That is because you are doing it after the fact. It should be pretty cut and dry, though, which is good for you. You can prove that you were using the name 2 years before them. It doesn't matter if they have filed a trademark first. Same thing applies to patents. Just because you are the first to get a patent for something, doesn't mean you own the rights to it if someone else can prove that they invented it before you.

I am sure I am preaching to the choir, as you have already researched this in depth. 1 thing I would consider is if it is worth 10k to get the official trademark, and do they cut in to your business that much?

Personally, I like their logo better, but haven't bought clothing from either one of you guys. This is similar to the Gameness battle it seems, and only hurts customers in the end. I really wish there was more honor amongst MMA outfitters, and not as cut-throat as it seems, as the market is still relatively wideopen and there is no need for this type of bickering.

BOB- "I really wish there was more honor amongst MMA outfitters, and not as cut-throat as it seems, as the market is still relatively wideopen and there is no need for this type of bickering."

The honor or lack there of comes from Brazil man. THese guys filed in Brazil not here and they did it 10 days before we did. Then over 8 months after we filed here they filed behind us here. Do you think we saw thier stuff and decided to copy them?

Gamness=Gamness
Bad Boy=Bad Boy
Nogi-No-Gi

It's fucking bullshit and they know (or think) no one will do anything about it and they are sorely fucking mistaken in this case. It's like going to Mexico and seeing all the knock off company's but just a little farther down.

If you like their stop sign on your body 7 times go buy somehting from them I am sure it won't hurt us these days.

The Real Chris Brennan said:
The honor or lack there of comes from Brazil man. THese guys filed in Brazil not here and they did it 10 days before we did. Then over 8 months after we filed here they filed behind us here. Do you think we saw thier stuff and decided to copy them?

If you like their stop sign on your body 7 times go buy somehting from them I am sure it won't hurt us these days.

No, man I have seen that you started using the name first, and that is cool. I completely understand that YOU were the ones ripped off, not the other way around. I was just saying I liked thier logo better. You guys are completely in the right, but sometimes you have to consider whether or not the 10k is justified expendiature. It is a lot of money, especially for a small company.

I support you guys and what you are doing, and I wouldn't like it if my name was ripped off. You guys have good customer service (from what I have seen), and good products, so you will do well.

Back