(GoT) Sandor Clegane || A Tragic Hero

Kyojiro Kagenuma

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry to all those who are sick of GoT threads, but I felt I needed to share this wonderful little tribute I found online of the Hound, aka Sandor Clegane.

Truly a tragic hero from beginning to end. Always was my favorite character, and I remember how thrilled I was when he came back in Season 6 to end unfinished business. Perhaps he did deserve a more peaceful ending, but I don't think the man himself wanted that. Not everyone was pleased with the fate of the Hound, but it was easily better received than most character arc conclusions this season, all except for maybe Theon. His was also great. Anyway, if you're a fan of the Hound, I hope you'll enjoy this as much as I did.

It's not mine, just to make that clear. Just came across it on the internet. I'd like to give them at least a few more views for such fine work.

I also want to point out some things including the Hound in Season 8 that I actually thought was very thoughtful writing. I didn't catch either of these while watching Season 8.

"I'm gonna put a sword through your eye, and out the back of your skull." Arya to the Hound back in Season 4.

What did the Hound do to the Mountain? He put a sword through his eye and out the back of his skull. Could be a coincidence, I suppose, but I like to think it's not.

"You're kind, it's gonna get you killed one day." Hound to Arya in Season 4.

"You're a cold little bitch, guess that's why you're still alive." Hound to Arya in Season 8.

For a Season that was rather heavy-handed, these are some very subtle hard to pick up moments, perhaps almost too hard. Perhaps there are other golden moments like these hidden in Season 8.

For all the things that may have suffered in the later seasons, I don't believe the Hound and his relationship with Arya was one of them.

Your post was longer than the entire last season. Ain’t readin’ that shit.

The Hound's story was probably the best character arc in the show. It even had a good(maybe perfect) and fitting ending despite being season 8.

You’re a talker. And listening to talkers makes me thirsty.

The Hound's story was probably the best character arc in the show. It even had a good(maybe perfect) and fitting ending despite being season 8.
Yeah, I also thought it was quite fitting. Tragic, but fitting.

the hound and arya together causing trouble was my favorite part of the show and books.

Sorry to all those who are sick of GoT threads, but I felt I needed to share this wonderful little tribute I found online of the Hound, aka Sandor Clegane.

Truly a tragic hero from beginning to end. Always was my favorite character, and I remember how thrilled I was when he came back in Season 6 to end unfinished business. Perhaps he did deserve a more peaceful ending, but I don't think the man himself wanted that. Not everyone was pleased with the fate of the Hound, but it was easily better received than most character arc conclusions this season, all except for maybe Theon. His was also great. Anyway, if you're a fan of the Hound, I hope you'll enjoy this as much as I did.

It's not mine, just to make that clear. Just came across it on the internet. I'd like to give them at least a few more views for such fine work.

I also want to point out some things including the Hound in Season 8 that I actually thought was very thoughtful writing. I didn't catch either of these while watching Season 8.

"I'm gonna put a sword through your eye, and out the back of your skull." Arya to the Hound back in Season 4.

What did the Hound do to the Mountain? He put a sword through his eye and out the back of his skull. Could be a coincidence, I suppose, but I like to think it's not.

"You're kind, it's gonna get you killed one day." Hound to Arya in Season 4.

"You're a cold little bitch, guess that's why you're still alive." Hound to Arya in Season 8.

For a Season that was rather heavy-handed, these are some very subtle hard to pick up moments, perhaps almost too hard. Perhaps there are other golden moments like these hidden in Season 8.

For all the things that may have suffered in the later seasons, I don't believe the Hound and his relationship with Arya was one of them.

There are it's just it's clunky so a lot of it didn't have the impact it should have.

I wish they touched on the religious lord of a light element with Berric, The Hound, Arya and Jon more. The Hound won his trial by combat vs a disciple of the Lord of Light and he saw visions in the fire. The Hound, in my mind, kept surviving because his purpose was to support Arya and help her mature in the warrior she is today. Without The Hound, Arya would not be in the position she is in today. The show failed by not giving more explanations to the Lord of Light's purpose. We, the viewers have to read between the lines.

I wish they touched on the religious lord of a light element with Berric, The Hound, Arya and Jon more. The Hound won his trial by combat vs a disciple of the Lord of Light and he saw visions in the fire. The Hound, in my mind, kept surviving because his purpose was to support Arya and help her mature in the warrior she is today. Without The Hound, Arya would not be in the position she is in today. The show failed by not giving more explanations to the Lord of Light's purpose. We, the viewers have to read between the lines.
I never expected the Lord of Light to be fully explained. I doubt Martin will really do it either.

Drogon's arc is much more tragic. Lost his mama and his brothers fighting a war he has no stake in. Is the last of his species and has to live out the rest of his days alone mourning his losses. And the guilt of slaughtering a million innocent people.

Let's give it up for the real tragic hero.
game-of-thrones-dany-dragon-e1537453378163.jpg

Drogon's arc is much more tragic. Lost his mama and his brothers fighting a war he has no stake in. Is the last of his species and has to live out the rest of his days alone mourning his losses. And the guilt of slaughtering a million innocent people.

Let's give it up for the real tragic hero.
game-of-thrones-dany-dragon-e1537453378163.jpg
I liked what they with Drogon at the end actually, with him destroying the throne and carrying Dany's body away. I'm not even a fan of Daenerys, but Drogon gently shoving her dead body, trying to wake her up was the saddest fucking thing.

How is he a hero though?

Almost a classic anti hero

He is an anti hero as well, but he's likeable and human enough to be a tragic hero. I could see the arguments for both.
Fair enough
great character either way, and a fun arc

Back