Got robbed >_< Need gun?

Also listen to all the "invest in home security" advice. Not sure why it's an either or thing with people here. You can make your home less likely to be burglarized and still have a gun for protection. You don't necessarily have to install some super expensive security system but do take steps to make your home less likely to be burglarized.

I live in a pretty good area. The criminals are not from the same area. I never owned a gun before and dont plan on becoming a crimefighting vigilante like The Punisher. Whats wrong with protecting what I own? Is The Judge a good gun? Looks like a mini shotgun or something.

Already plan on getting a system installed or at least those alarm things for the doors and maybe a few fake cameras. I have dogs but they are tiny. Not yet ready for the maneating pitbulls.

An eye opener to see how useless a deadbolt is. They ripped open the glass door in the back inside of shattering it. XD

Last edited:
Also listen to all the "invest in home security" advice. Not sure why it's an either or thing with people here. You can make your home less likely to be burglarized and still have a gun for protection. You don't necessarily have to install some super expensive security system but do take steps to make your home less likely to be burglarized.

better locks, some sort of alarm, etc. a deterrent if you will. i can understand wanting a gun too though, in case those guys were still in there when he went inside. he'd have to carry it all the time though.

I live in a pretty good area. The criminals are not from the same area. I never owned a gun before and dont plan on becoming a crimefighting vigilante like The Punisher. Whats wrong with protecting what I own? Is The Judge a good gun? Looks like a mini shotgun or something.

i'm not sure that's the best choice for someone with no experience.

I think getting a gun for this is pretty dumb. If you keep your guns at home, it's just one more thing that will get stolen next time. They are only effective if you have them on you. If the guns are in your home, they could even use them against you if you break in on them. Also, self defense laws are fucked up. If you shoot and kill a home invader, be prepared to have a self defense story that they were trying to kill you, not just rob you. I disagree with this stance, but that's how the law works. One other thing, I actually doubt the home invaders are packing guns or knifes themselves. They might have some blunt instrument that helped them break in or a knife from your home, but unlikely anything else. My guess is they plan on just not getting caught. They never planned on you ever catching them. They also would probably just run if you did catch them.

Best home defense you can get is a security system. The next best home defense is a big dog. Dogs are very protective, and they will bark at intruders. These two are far more likely to prevent a break in from happening, so they are much better. In the situation you described, a gun would have done you nothing, because they were already gone.

If you have decent insurance what you own is protected.

I'm not against owning guns, but I just don't see this as a realistic solution to prevent something like this again.

bigger dogs better security system ...then gun imo

Already plan on getting a system installed or at least those alarm things for the doors and maybe a few fake cameras. I have dogs but they are tiny. Not yet ready for the maneating pitbulls.

An eye opener to see how useless a deadbolt is. They ripped open the glass door in the back inside of shattering it. XD

The Judge is almost certainly not a good gun for a beginner. If you're set on getting a gun more than likely you're better off with a full size 9mm as a beginner. Many will recommend a shotgun like it's a magical firearm that doesn't miss but you should definitely try it out and practice before you decide to use it. Not everyone is gonna be able to wield it the same. That goes for any gun. Try some out first and then decide what you feel most comfortable with and what you're most accurate with.

I'm not against owning guns, but I just don't see this as a realistic solution to prevent something like this again.

I think ts is thinking more about the fact that he thought they were possibly still in the house. Taking steps to prevent break ins is always the first step but some want to protect themselves if the worse happens.

If I do get a boomstick I plan on keeping it in a heavy gun safe. I would much rather hold them up until the police arrive vs shooting them. But if I had to use deadly force I live in Florida. Pretty safe legally that way. XD

The stuff is covered and its easily replaced. I would just prefer not to hide inside my car while waiting for help.

I have had the flu for the past few days and stayed at home most of the time. I went to meet a client and was only gone for 2 hours. If I decided to cancel they may have broken in while I was asleep.

May also keep the radio on when I leave for now on. Makes it seem like someone is home. I'm a novice with guns but i'm a pretty handy guy. I used to do manual labor. Not an office drone. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

boomsticks a shotgun....so you want to get a shotgun and keep at home?

If you want a revolver, get a short barreled .357 (aka 357 magnum, same thing).

You can shoot .38 specials in it for practice (the .38 special round is just a lower-powered .357 round, believe it or not). Then when you get good at not flinching, you can either stay with .38 special cartridges or get and carry .357 ones, or something in-between, like hot .38 rounds (".38 +P"), or low velocity .38 self-defense rounds (they are made to expand/fragment rapidly for self defense situations, and yet not go through walls, just people), all of which will work fine in your little .357 revolver.

If I do get a boomstick I plan on keeping it in a heavy gun safe. I would much rather hold them up until the police arrive vs shooting them. But if I had to use deadly force I live in Florida. Pretty safe legally that way. XD

The stuff is covered and its easily replaced. I would just prefer not to hide inside my car while waiting for help.

I have had the flu for the past few days and stayed at home most of the time. I went to meet a client and was only gone for 2 hours. If I decided to cancel they may have broken in while I was asleep.

May also keep the radio on when I leave for now on. Makes it seem like someone is home. I'm a novice with guns but i'm a pretty handy guy. I used to do manual labor. Not an office drone. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

nothing substitutes for time spent at the range. just remember to practice your breathing technique and using the isosceles stance when you're starting out.

You don't need a gun, you need a brain!
Do you know what the value of a gun is in the black market?
Do you truly believe you could get robbed, and the criminals wouldn't take your gun?
Seriously? How dumb can you get?

Hold them? Really? And what if they don't want to be held and break for it? Gonna shoot them? The lawyers would have a field day with that.

More than likely they made sure the house was empty before breaking in. Seriously, skip a gun for right now. Just upgrade your home security.

hi-point 9mm runs about 170 bucks...look into that....if you are serious of course

He wants to defend himself, not do a drive by and throw it. At LEAST Go Glock. And practice ALOT. Proper mental situational awareness and safety certainly wouldn't hurt either.

Back