Got my Judo brown last night

How long did that take? I really have no clue at how hard it is to have a belt in judo, and it seems that a blackbelt isn't incredibly rare.

It depends.

I personally think the criteria should be a bit tougher, but I've seen a lot of guys get brown within a year or two (guys who practice a lot and show good skill) Black can come a 2-3 years after that.

BJJ has a lot more intricacies in it's ground work than I've found that Judo has in it's stand up. So much of BJJ is situational and you learn different techniques for all the possible defenses or offenses someone takes.

Judo has a set group of moves that you have to learn and if you are able to show that you have a deep understanding of the techniques, are able to identify small parts of your game, and can demonstrate the techniques to others, then you can get a BB.

As to the rarity, there's a LOT of Judoka, bro. A lot of people that started when they were kids and continued into adulthood.

As BJJ grows in popularity and more people enroll their kids and you'll see younger folks with BB's. I also think that, generations ahead, we'll see a lot more BB's at 5-6 years of training compared to the traditional 10+. Teaching techniques will improve, etc....

It'd be interested to see how long it took Judoka in the early 1900's to get BB's.

There is no mastery in Judo, a BB is still a great achievment, and no one should be discouraged by the shorter amount of time it takes compared to BJJ.

Last edited:
Ah. Sounds indeed like nikyu. In some places the belt colour for that is brown, in other places blue.

How long did that take? I really have no clue at how hard it is to have a belt in judo, and it seems that a blackbelt isn't incredibly rare.

Well consider that Judo has been worldwide since what? The 50's? In addition it is an Olympic sport and if not THE most practiced martial art, it is close.

BJJ on the other hand has been introduced around the 90's and already there are more and more BB's around. It is just a matter of time and popularity.

I started in 2003, but in real training time, maybe 3-4 years with around a year in bjj. Had alot of time off for broken ribs, rotator cuff, sprained acl and the list goes on and on :-D
My instructor asked me if I wanted to test for my brown around this time last year and I declined. Since belts for me, mean very little.

I'd say a Judo BB is similar in training time that it would take a person to get an advanced blue belt in BJJ. Or maybe even a purple.

Alot of people say that once you get your BB in judo, that means you've accomplished the basics, and now it's time to start learning.

Alot of people say that once you get your BB in judo, that means you've accomplished the basics, and now it's time to start learning.

I have no problems with this statement, except it's much more than the "basics" - It's when you develop an understanding, or "feel" for the techniques of Judo that you can not only teach them, but can begin to "spice them up" a bit to fit your own unique game.

I think it's unfair to compare belts as the focus of BJJ and Judo are different, even though there are similarities.

Referring to my previous post, I don't believe that it will always take so long to receive a BJJ black belt. I think BJJers will make plenty of advancements in teaching to speed the process along. I don't mean this in a negative way, but in a very promising way.

Last edited:
I have no problems with this statement, except it's much more than the "basics" - It's when you develop an understanding, or "feel" for the techniques of Judo that you can not only teach them, but can begin to "spice them up" a bit to fit your own unique game.

I think it's unfair to compare belts as the focus of BJJ and Judo are different, even though there are similarities.

Referring to my previous post, I don't believe that it will always take so long to receive a BJJ black belt. I think BJJers will make plenty of advancements in teaching to speed the process along. I don't mean this in a negative way, but in a very promising way.

Agreed
I've been spicing things up for a while to better suit my body type vs my instructor who is 5'2".(i'm 6 even)

I was only comparing the time frame to achieve a belt, nothing else.

BJJ will get watered down, just like Karate, Judo and everything before it.
People want belts, belts cost money. People will make belts easier to get so more money comes in. Look at the Gracie Combatives program.

BJJ will get watered down, just like Karate, Judo and everything before it.

In NO way was I implying this.

Just saying that teachers will find ways to teach more efficiently, resources will become more plentiful, etc...

Will some teachers start giving out BB early? Of course! Will the IBJJF recognize these belts? Maybe...will teh belt holders care? Who knows.

BJJers will definitely want to be active/vocal to their federations if they want to keep/change certain aspects of their sport

It depends.

I personally think the criteria should be a bit tougher, but I've seen a lot of guys get brown within a year or two (guys who practice a lot and show good skill) Black can come a 2-3 years after that.

No, need, belts have a meaning and a requirement that its pretty much standarized, the belt means that you know certain x for people who dont know you to know. And thats it

In fact the blackbelt its considered the begginer grade kyus are meant to be initiate ranks. The dan system is what matters.

BJJ has a lot more intricacies in it's ground work than I've found that Judo has in it's stand up. So much of BJJ is situational and you learn different techniques for all the possible defenses or offenses someone takes.

I have found the groundgame much more broad but at the same time much easier to learn, that's imo one of the reasons why BJJ is more fun than judo, in judo you may learn a move one day and then you will spend years trying to master it, in the end you will only be able to perform very few of them even if you know all the throws you never get to master them. Then there is the issue of timing and footwork. It also requires more physical fitness, that's why in the end old judokas lose to young in the standup but are better on the ground.

Judo has a set group of moves that you have to learn and if you are able to show that you have a deep understanding of the techniques, are able to identify small parts of your game, and can demonstrate the techniques to others, then you can get a BB.

But that's what the black means, in BJJ its usually the end of the road, in judo its the beggining, there is a saying in BJJ that a purple is a black who lacks details, but that's what a black is in judo, someone who know the art and now needs to refine.

As BJJ grows in popularity and more people enroll their kids and you'll see younger folks with BB's. I also think that, generations ahead, we'll see a lot more BB's at 5-6 years of training compared to the traditional 10+. Teaching techniques will improve, etc....

I doubt because BJJ has a different meaning for a black,

It'd be interested to see how long it took Judoka in the early 1900's to get BB's.

There is no mastery in Judo, a BB is still a great achievment, and no one should be discouraged by the shorter amount of time it takes compared to BJJ.

Pretty little, i think it was a year at most, because again the ranking system is the dan system, not the kyu system.

Haven't hit up a tourney since before I tested for my green. So no sand baggin here.

I didn't test for my brown in the traditional sense. Basically since i've gotten back from rib injury #3. I've been beating everyone on the feet, and when it goes to the mat, it's not a matter of if, but when will they tap. The instructor does ask me to demo throws and moves for the class. So i'm guessing that was part of my test.

Which Kyu am I, I haven't a clue what that means so I goggled it. If you mean what level of a brown belt I am, I looked at some Judo tests for black and i'd pass all the throws, hold downs, and newaza. So I dunno??

good for you then. The only belt I ever tested for was my black, and it was just a formality (I had to show kata). I would fight an advanced decision or two, and if you do well then you probably are black belt level.

Congrat.'s, I learned the most about judo as a brown belt then any other color in my NGB's rank system.

Back