Got my Judo brown belt tonight.

Congrats, man. Your advice and posts on here have always been helpful and informative, so I am sure that you'll wear your new belt proudly and deservingly.

Funny how being 30-something or more is considered "old"...

awwwwww yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ....... Good Job bro.. I hope to join you soon..... Good luck on getting your shodan...

TTT

Congrats Bubble Boy.

Stepping up to fight the black belts is a big step, good luck.

Congrats man. I always thought you were already a black belt by your knowledge. It's definitely well deserved and probably over-due. I hope you made ikkyu... now you just gotta start accumulating those points for the blue book... good luck.

Congrats! Has your wrestling helped your judo much?

Bubble Boy said:
I've been training in Judo for about 6 years.

I'm a late starter: even though I've tried just about every other style of martial art (mostly crappy stuff) you can imagine since I was 15 or so, I didn't take up Judo seriously until I was almost 35.

My training has been a mixture of traditional dojo judo and garage grappling. I've trained in at least 6 different schools along the way.

I've competed in 6 judo tournaments, all novice division, with my highest finish a second place.
In Arizona there is not an intermediate competition division, so I've bumped from novice to expert: I'll now be competeing against mostly black beltsfrom here on out. :eek:

To answer the lurking bjj vs judo question: I can honestly say that I'm roughly the equivalent of a high blue when it comes to ground work. I've rolled with enough bjj guys to know where I stand. I've rolled with kimura594 of the Sherdog forums, and he's a 4 stripe blue (a hairs breadth from being a purple) and he just edges me out. So I'd say my groundwork, as a fresh judo brown, is ballpark about a 3 stripe blue in bjj. My leg techniques (knee bars, ankle cranks, heel hooks, etc) are non-existant. This is where bjj guys always get me.

Basically my coach walked in to class tonight and handed me the belt. There was no formal testing proceedure, although over the past couple of months I've been asked randomly to demostrate some brown belt level throw or two.

I figure I've got anywhere from 2 years to another 6 until black belt, depnding on how dedicated I get at this point, and how I do in tournaments.

I've actually learned a lot just mulling about this grappling forum. I can honestly say that this forum is a learning center for me. thanks guys.

I'm just happy as a clam.

Congrats man....

Thanks guys.

I'm going to try and answer some of the questions and address some comments.

First, MMAFAN05, congrats on your white belt dude. You deserve it.

Second, to address Gurads questions: the belt system in Arizona goes white, yellow, orange, green, 3rd brown, 2nd brown, 1st brown, then black. So it's not like getting your brown in bjj.
I'm pretty sure I got 3rd brown last night, but my coach didn't really say anything more than "here ya' go" and handed me the belt.lol. I'm just pickled tink to have something other than green wrapped around my waist (I've been a green belt for several years).
I train 2 times a week. Sometimes 3. I'm one of those "first guy on the mat, last one off the mat" kind of guys. I NEVER miss class unless I'm REALLY sick.

Frodo, the little bit of wrestling I've observed over the past months has made my kata guruma (firemans carry) believable and my no-gi stuff almost reasonable. Next year I'll actually be assisting with the H.S. wrestling team, and I expect to pick up a lot.

The thing I like about belt rankings is this: now I have to act and do judo like a brown belt. It's a higher standard to live up to. I think that pushes people to do better, at least it does me.

But what really pushes newbie judo brown belts is this...

Cojofl said:
Stepping up to fight the black belts is a big step, good luck.

...no more novice tournaments!

Nice , Congrats on your Brown Belt.......

Again, congratulations. :) I agree with you that the belt advancement means you have new standards not only in terms of performance, but your personal presentation and conduct in and out of the Dojo as well. Not that such a thing will be a problem for you, though!

I agree with your training habits, I'm much the same, as well. I arrive before anyone else(even the Sensei, in some cases) and would be the last one off the mats except for my current transportation arrangement. I'm usually 'pulled' out of the door by my ride home, rather than staying later to help clean-up or receive some additional practice.

Such a major step, though, going from a several-year Green that had a leg-up on most tournament situations facing the whites, to being a new-brown facing the black. Good luck on your next Shiai!

Congrats. I really appreciate your post and links. I thought I was the only one who started late in grappling um, I'll just say over 37 starter with just about 2 years bjj. I really appreciate judo though and if I was not afraid of breaking my back with one of those throws (I got a bad back), I would take classes but now I just train there with a black belt from my work and he teaches me throws for the bigger and older grappler. But hey, this thread is about you, so congrats and I look forward to the day you announce your black belt.

Ever in Hawaii, pm me.

Congrats on the brown.

Just be careful about getting that black. You don't suddenly want those blue belts you hang with and tap to suddenly be able to dominate you on the mat.

CONGRATULATIONS - no more hiding in the novice ranks now, huh?

FiendishOne said:
Congrats on the brown.

Just be careful about getting that black. You don't suddenly want those blue belts you hang with and tap to suddenly be able to dominate you on the mat.

Yeah, I'm still figuring how I'm going to make that work out. It's a well known fact that once you get your judo black belt you lose all your powers against bjj blue belts.

judogido said:
CONGRATULATIONS - no more hiding in the novice ranks now, huh?

Thanks mate! Now maybe another 6 years to black...

Bubble Boy said:
I've been training in Judo for about 6 years.

I'm a late starter: even though I've tried just about every other style of martial art (mostly crappy stuff) you can imagine since I was 15 or so, I didn't take up Judo seriously until I was almost 35.

My training has been a mixture of traditional dojo judo and garage grappling. I've trained in at least 6 different schools along the way.

I've competed in 6 judo tournaments, all novice division, with my highest finish a second place.
In Arizona there is not an intermediate competition division, so I've bumped from novice to expert: I'll now be competeing against mostly black beltsfrom here on out. :eek:

To answer the lurking bjj vs judo question: I can honestly say that I'm roughly the equivalent of a high blue when it comes to ground work. I've rolled with enough bjj guys to know where I stand. I've rolled with kimura594 of the Sherdog forums, and he's a 4 stripe blue (a hairs breadth from being a purple) and he just edges me out. So I'd say my groundwork, as a fresh judo brown, is ballpark about a 3 stripe blue in bjj. My leg techniques (knee bars, ankle cranks, heel hooks, etc) are non-existant. This is where bjj guys always get me.

Basically my coach walked in to class tonight and handed me the belt. There was no formal testing proceedure, although over the past couple of months I've been asked randomly to demostrate some brown belt level throw or two.

I figure I've got anywhere from 2 years to another 6 until black belt, depnding on how dedicated I get at this point, and how I do in tournaments.

I've actually learned a lot just mulling about this grappling forum. I can honestly say that this forum is a learning center for me. thanks guys.

I'm just happy as a clam.

all i gotta say is " its about time"!!!way to go man u deserve it, hope everything continues to go well with ur training, when i get back from denver in a week or so with my light weight championship belt we can hang out and laugh at all the newbs about how our belts are way cooler then theirs!!!!!!

kimura594 said:
all i gotta say is " its about time"!!!way to go man u deserve it, hope everything continues to go well with ur training, when i get back from denver in a week or so with my light weight championship belt we can hang out and laugh at all the newbs about how our belts are way cooler then theirs!!!!!!

Hey! I talked about you being better than me. Did you see that? We need to train again soon. I think Sundays may work out.

I hope you kick the guy's ass. This is you're fourth fight right? I think you need to hit up the mods for an "Amateur Fighter" tag, especially if you win.

I always said once I get to brown I'd take up kickboxing out at your club. Guess it's time.

Good luck Kimura, hope you come back with a big gaudy shiney belt!

Bubble Boy said:
Hey! I talked about you being better than me. Did you see that? We need to train again soon. I think Sundays may work out.

I hope you kick the guy's ass. This is you're fourth fight right? I think you need to hit up the mods for an "Amateur Fighter" tag, especially if you win.

I always said once I get to brown I'd take up kickboxing out at your club. Guess it's time.

Good luck Kimura, hope you come back with a big gaudy shiney belt!
i know u allways give me credit where it is due , im not worried about the fighter tag i have that on 3 other forums allready this is one place where i just wanna be able to talk some shit still :icon_twis ,yah this will be my fourth fight ,hopefully things go well imma just go in there and inforce my will on this mother fuvker,im in better shape physicaly and mentalY than i have ever been so as long as i stick to my game plan and ajust accordingly i shall be fine, i definetly wanna train with u guys again hopefully we can come to some agreement even if i end up having to bite the bullet and do the whole federation thing i just may, and i will most definelty be waiting for u to come start training with us at golden cobra its gonna help ur conditioning big time, and indeed i want a big gaudy belt with gold tassles and purple velvit to bring home to AZ!!!!

kimura594 said:
and indeed i want a big gaudy belt with gold tassles and purple velvit to bring home to AZ!!!!

That's what I'm talking about right there.
How'd you do in fight #3? I never heard.

Back