Got gassed in competition

I would bet 95% of gassing in tourneys comes from nerves, not actual cardio problems. If you think about it, you gas when you're put in uncomfortable situations. A tournament setting is automatically an uncomfortable situation from the get-go.

Just compete more. It gets easier.

You will always have nerves, but the more you compete the easier it becomes.

I would guess you just held your breath for most of each match.

Its only a comp, sure you would like to win so play hard but its no big thing if you lose at white belt because no one cares. Wins are remembered but loses are forgotten by everyone bar you.

MIND RIPPER IF you suffer from anxiety try the supplements i reccomend: SAM-e and rosea rhodila...worked for me bro

Nerves and adrenaline were probably the main thing against you. It has happened to me. Calm down breathe and when you finish your first fight relax dont think so much about the next fight.

When you do your first fight, dont get over anxious play our game.

Physical issues could be rolling and a competition fight are very different. I would say I can roll 2 hours 5 to 8 minutes rounds and say I am good. But after my first competition ever I fought 5 minutes and felt dead tired. Part of that was nerves but I learned rolling and competing is very hard.

I changed my condition and rolling strategy before a competition. Also kicked up my condition training by going 6-8 minutes of high intensity rounds and short 1 minute to 2 minute rest.

My last competition I was very fresh.

1hour, 2 hours, you guys must either be triathlons or all roll at like 50%.

It's nerves. Your body is going into fight or flight. Puking is a way for your body to empty its stomach so it doesn't need to use energy in the digestive process. Of course, your body is doing this to prepare for one all out life and death struggle.This response is not designed to help with complex motor skills or to be repeated several times in a row.

Sports psychology would advise you to remind yourself that a grappling match is not a fight to the death, and mentally make peace with the worst possible outcome before you start. What's the worst that can happen? You can get taken down and submitted instantly? So what? You are disappointed, but you're life will go on and you will continue to train, knowing you need to get better. What if you get hurt? Injuries heal. Randy Couture went to a sports psychologist, and he's shared some really interesting stuff on this.

Making peace with the worst possible outcome frees your body and mid to pursue the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar problem the first few times I competed. I would get burning lungs, nausea, dizziness and ridiculous muscle pumps in my forearms after a single match. Then one competition it just kinda clicked for me and since then I haven't suffered from any of those symptoms again. I really think the key is to believe in your game and go to it as soon as possible. The longer you spend outside of your comfort zone the easier it will be to get tired, especially in a high pressure situation like competing. If you believe in your game and compete on a regular basis you will learn to relax your body and stay fresh even when your nervous.

1hour, 2 hours, you guys must either be triathlons or all roll at like 50%.
Meh, given enough water (at least a liter/hour, I sweat a ton) & adequate calories (200-300 calories/hour) I can go for at least a couple of hours. & yes, I can drink that much water & eat gels, bars, & whatnot and not see it come back up.

My jiu jitsu is sh!tty, but it's not actually difficult provided you keep the calories coming. And every extra hour I train is an extra hour I've had to become less sh!tty.

Granted, I do come from a sporty background (swimming, water polo, rowing, cycling, triathlons, etc.) but I don't think this ability to keep rolling even when whupped doesn't come so much from previous conditioning (though it helps) but more so from being to stupid/pig-headed to quit. There's a a term in cycling that I wish was more widespread as it's so appropriate: flahute.

Also, what Uchi said. Especially, especially, especially about the warming up.

You are probably doing everything in your matches with way more intensity than you do in your normal rolls. Work on breathing, staying calm, and finding time to rest while your opponent is exerting himself. That might sound counter intuitive, but I've won matches by just defending while my opponent blows his wad squeezing on chokes he has no chance of finishing, etc. A lot of the time your opponent will be facing the same cardio issues you are and it just comes down to who saves the most for the last minute or two of the match.

Some great feedback there, appreciate everyone's input. I'm gonna get my cardio up and for my next comp I realise that I must relax and remember to breathe.

MIND RIPPER IF you suffer from anxiety try the supplements i reccomend: SAM-e and rosea rhodila...worked for me bro

I'll check it out. Thanks man.

I don't take anything for my anxiety. Only really happens under extreme stress. As I got older, I learned my triggers and how to talk myself down from just about anything but all of that shiza doesn't work without sleep, proper diet and exercise.

How did you feel before your fight? Do you get lost in your head a lot and start thinking of the match, does your heart start beating faster when you do this? Do you sit around and fidget, pacing, shaking your legs?

You can wear yourself out before you even compete. If you find yourself sitting there and your heart rate rises start focusing on your breathing and slow it down, relax. I always tell myself it's the waiting that I'm not used to and makes me nervous, but the mat is my home. I spend msot of my free time on the mat so I am always relieved when I get my match.

There's also a big passage from game of thrones I repete to myself, but i'll spare people that.

There's also a big passage from game of thrones I repete to myself, but i'll spare people that.
if it doesn't spoil the series, then tell us. we want to know.

but if you spoil anything that hasn't been screened yet, we will slay you.

It doesn't really spoil much I don't think but it's well past where the show is so I'll hide it. You kind of have to read the chapter going up to it to but it's about Barristan the bold, who at the time is forced to play the politcal game, The Game of Thrones to be clever. And it makes him uncomfortable, he is a warrior, this isn't what he is used to. And so the passage is when he finally gets to fight, and the contrast of uneasyness to the relief of being able to fight is what really relates to my feelings at tournaments when I do finally get to compete. The part in bold is what I am specifically referring to, the rest is just noe of the best fight scenes in the books.

Khrazz laughed. “Old man. I will eat your heart.” The two men were of a height, but Khrazz was two stone heavier and forty years younger, with pale skin, dead eyes, and a crest of bristly red-black hair that ran from his brow to the base of his neck.

“Then come,” said Barristan the Bold. Khrazz came.

For the first time all day, Selmy felt certain. This is what I was made for, he thought. The dance, the sweet steel song, a sword in my hand and a foe before me.

The pit fighter was fast, blazing fast, as quick as any man Ser Barristan had ever fought. In those big hands, the arakh became a whistling blur, a steel storm that seemed to come at the old knight from three directions at once. Most of the cuts were aimed at his head. Khrazz was no fool. Without a helm, Selmy was most vulnerable above the neck.

He blocked the blows calmly, his longsword meeting each slash and turning it aside. The blades rang and rang again. Ser Barristan retreated. On the edge of his vision, he saw the cupbearers watching with eyes as big and white as chicken eggs. Khrazz cursed and turned a high cut into a low one, slipping past the old knight’s blade for once, only to have his blow scrape uselessly off a white steel greave. Selmy’s answering slash found the pit fighter’s left shoulder, parting the fine linen to bite the flesh beneath. His yellow tunic began to turn pink, then red.

“Only cowards dress in iron,” Khrazz declared, circling. No one wore armor in the fighting pits. It was blood the crowds came for: death, dismemberment, and shrieks of agony, the music of the scarlet sands.

Ser Barristan turned with him. “This coward is about to kill you, ser.” The man was no knight, but his courage had earned him that much courtesy. Khrazz did not know how to fight a man in armor. Ser Barristan could see it in his eyes: doubt, confusion, the beginnings of fear. The pit fighter came on again, screaming this time, as if sound could slay his foe where steel could not. The arakh slashed low, high, low again.

Selmy blocked the cuts at his head and let his armor stop the rest, whilst his own blade opened the pit fighter’s cheek from ear to mouth, then traced a raw red gash across his chest. Blood welled from Khrazz’s wounds. That only seemed to make him wilder. He seized the brazier with his off hand and flipped it, scattering embers and hot coals at Selmy’s feet. Ser Barristan leapt over them. Khrazz slashed at his arm and caught him, but the arakh could only chip the hard enamel before it met the steel below.

“In the pit that would have taken your arm off, old man.”

“We are not in the pit.”

“Take off that armor!”

“It is not too late to throw down your steel. Yield.”

“Die,” spat Khrazz … but as he lifted his arakh, its tip grazed one of the wall hangings and hung. That was all the chance Ser Barristan required. He slashed open the pit fighter’s belly, parried the arakh as it wrenched free, then finished Khrazz with a quick thrust to the heart as the pit fighter’s entrails came sliding out like a nest of greasy eels.

Back