GoT fans, let's break it down. What precisely is it that makes this series so great?

tumblr_mzucauvoa11ru72puo1_r1_400.gif

I'll grant you that I'm really only talking about season 1 with Andy Whitfield (the TRUE Spartacus) and, to a slightly lesser extent, the Gods of the Arena mini-season. Once they brought the new guy in I stopped giving a fuck. But yes, I'll put that shit up against any show any day of the week and it will fare well.

I may should point out that there are only a handful of shows I've ever given a fuck about. 15 or fewer, I'm sure.

Spartacus was fun, but when holding it up to top tier television, it doesn't fit into the conversation. I will say it was better than a lot will give it credit for, but not in the same realm of the true greats.

It belongs with shows like The Killing, Ray Donovan, Penny Dreadful, etc. The "Pretty good, but let's not get crazy" category.

Spartacus was fun, but when holding it up to top tier television, it doesn't fit into the conversation. I will say it was better than a lot will give it credit for, but not in the same realm of the true greats.

It belongs with shows like The Killing, Ray Donovan, Penny Dreadful, etc. The "Pretty good, but let's not get crazy" category.

What do you consider to be the greats?

What do you consider to be the greats?

Sopranos, GOT, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Rome(S1).

Even Carnivale shits all over Spartacus in just about aspect of filmmaking.

Like I said, Spartacus was good. It does not hold a candle to the heavyweights though. However, I would say that given a lot of the criticism towards it, it is a little underrated, and doesn't get the credit it deserves sometimes. It ain't top tier though.

I could probably name five television series that are airing right now this season that are better than Spartacus.

Sopranos, GOT, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Rome(S1).

Even Carnivale shits all over Spartacus in just about aspect of filmmaking.

Like I said, Spartacus was good. It does not hold a candle to the heavyweights though. However, I would say that given a lot of the criticism towards it, it is a little underrated, and doesn't get the credit it deserves sometimes. It ain't top tier though.

Deadwood and Rome over Spartacus. Interesting. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Deadwood and Rome over Spartacus. Interesting. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Rome as whole, I could slightly understand(ever so slightly). It had it's nuts cut off prematurely, and ended on a messy, thrown together note.

You'd have to be fucking insane not to rate Deadwood higher though. Unless you're rating the shows on personal taste alone, I can't understand how anyone can't see why Deadwood is widely considered one of the greatest shows of all time, and objectively leaps and bounds above something like Spartacus. Even with the cancellation.

C'mon son.

Rome as whole, I could slightly understand(ever so slightly). It had it's nuts cut off prematurely, and ended on a messy, thrown together note.

You'd have to be fucking insane not to rate Deadwood higher though. Unless you're rating the shows on personal taste alone, I can't understand how anyone can't see why Deadwood is widely considered one of the greatest shows of all time, and objectively leaps and bounds above something like Spartacus. Even with the cancellation.

C'mon son.

I enjoy Deadwood, and in fact I'm working my way through season 2 right now. But one thing I can tell you is that it doesn't have that OH SHIT I HAVE TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS ON THE NEXT EPISODE factor that Spartacus did for me.

With Deadwood, it's cool, I enjoy watching it. But I rarely do more than one or two episodes in a night. With Spartacus, however, I was ravenous. I devoured it.

Great cast, great costumes, great stage building, great locations, great CGI (check the YT vids on them), great props, great source material, great elaborate backstory lore, great dialogues, great action scenes, nudity, sex, taboos, humor, general diversity, mystical beings, awesome weapons, good looking people, great story build up, great one liners, no one's life is secure, great social issues, hierarchies, unusual main character Tyrion, family structures, great fictional customs, high production quality, great additional content, interesting religions, great accents, large fucking cast, characters are all different kinds of ages, colors and shapes, lots of inspiration from non-fictional history, deliberate trolling for emotional outrages from audience.

You have the mind of a child, tbh.

Lol, I just read your list and I wouldn't be talking. Like a true adult, I watch Silicon Valley, Episodes, Last man standing, Under the dome, and any new Aurora Teagarden Mystery movie on hallmark mysteries and movies channel.

:eek:

Yes, these are the only shows I watch (well and GoT and TWD). I have to be a drunk.

Lol, I just read your list and I wouldn't be talking. Like a true adult, I watch Silicon Valley, Episodes, Last man standing, Under the dome, and any new Aurora Teagarden Mystery movie on hallmark mysteries and movies channel.

:eek:

Yes, these are the only shows I watch (well and GoT and TWD). I have to be a drunk.

I'm pretty sure Under the Dome is the only one of those shows that is currently airing brah, nor do I even understand what point you are trying to make.

I was trying to think earlier about what shows have been important to me during my adult life. Like, period. I came up with. . .

Vikings
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Spartacus
The Knick
Halt and Catch Fire
Silicon Valley
Game of Thrones
House of Cards
True Detective
Sleepy Hollow
Hell on Wheels
Prison Break
Deadwood
Mr. Robot
Fargo

Off the top of my head, that's what I got. Maybe there are a few others but not many.

For me its the many female personages. They're not your golden girls.

For me its the many female personages. They're not your golden girls.

That's an interesting perspective. I'm ambivalent about the female characters. Arya is wonderful and Cersei and Denaerys have a lot of personality. But Sansa and Catelyn are just kind of meh to me.

This past season wasn't so great actually. :(

It's not the dragons.

I got into the show late. I knew very little about it when I started watching it. The first time I sat down to watch the very first ep of the series, I remember thinking: Gawd, I hope there's not dragons and crap like that.

What's great about the show is simply the great human drama. It just hits that right spot... oh, shtt what's gonna happen next.

Back