GoT fans, let's break it down. What precisely is it that makes this series so great?

Gore and titties

The twists, plots, and characterization is unlike other fantasy/ sci-fi genre shown on tv. I'm aware that the whole dark fantasy isn't exactly new since Robin Hobb and Steven Erikson I heard cover it better but it really is a game changer for the motion median.

It really changed the landscape of tv that more than a dozen tv shows have referenced GOT ranging from Simpsons, Southpark to the office. It even became Obama and David Camerons' favorite show.

How many other adult fantasy shows are there? I can't think of any. It doesn't really have any competition.

imo the writing had a drastic decline in quality this last season but since there isn't any other show in the same vein it still wins. Its Lord of the Rings with boobs and senseless violence.

For me, I think if there is any ONE thing that I have taken from it, then it's the necessity of strong characters. The beginning of any good story, perhaps, isn't the plot at all but characters the viewer/reader will care about. After all, how many times have you heard people say "I just like hanging out with the characters" when talking about a movie or TV show, even when not a lot is actually happening plot-wise? I have heard it plenty.

This. When you think about it, The Red Thread in GoT is thin and gets thinner every season.

First the main plotline was Eddard going down to Kings Landing and investigating the murder of The Hand. Then it was about Rob avanging Eddard. Then.... Lanisters clinging to power? Lannisters vs Martells? And during all this time Danerys and Snow is off doing their own shit!

Basically, the plotline in GoT is always shifting. It's like watching history. There is no "end", merely cataclysm and continues. What keeps it all togheter is the strong characters that you follow through all of this.

I'm aware that the whole dark fantasy isn't exactly new since Robin Hobb and Steven Erikson I heard cover it better

Oh man... you're practically forcing my hand to mention Glen Cook!:)

How many other adult fantasy shows are there? I can't think of any. It doesn't really have any competition.

The closest you'll find to GoT has to be Rome. Multiple plotlines and characters. Twists and Turns. And the creators of GoT even admitted that Rome was a big influence on them.

Funny you mentioned Rome since 3 of the actors from the show are now in GOT. Its too bad that James Purfoy wasn't cast for a role.

i wish there were more shows about fantasy. I'm talking about well done shows like GOT that aren't as childish as LOTR, but with the same about of fantasy feel as LOTR. I love LOTR but there was way to much comedy in the movies and you knew that little to no main characters were going to die and it wasn't very dark at all. I want more fantasy shows with high level budgets, that have the fantasy feel of LOTR with the realness and R ratedness of GOT, or even movies.

-great story esp season 1-2
-great character development until they die
-great acting and costume designs
-dragons
-oh & dem titties

i wish there were more shows about fantasy. I'm talking about well done shows like GOT that aren't as childish as LOTR, but with the same about of fantasy feel as LOTR. I love LOTR but there was way to much comedy in the movies and you knew that little to no main characters were going to die and it wasn't very dark at all. I want more fantasy shows with high level budgets, that have the fantasy feel of LOTR with the realness and R ratedness of GOT, or even movies.

I hear what you're saying, and agree, but I do feel compelled to say that Fellowship of the Ring (note I say Fellowship of the Ring and not the entire LOTR trilogy) is one of the best movies ever made and was one of the best theatrical experiences I've ever had.

It's a shame Two Towers and Return of the King couldn't really live up to it.

When I first watched the show, before knowing anything about it, I thought it was going to be another pointless nudity & violence show like spartacus. I was a bit meh about that. But then turned out it had great political intrigue, which is what sealed the deal for me.

I hear what you're saying, and agree, but I do feel compelled to say that Fellowship of the Ring (note I say Fellowship of the Ring and not the entire LOTR trilogy) is one of the best movies ever made and was one of the best theatrical experiences I've ever had.

boooooooo! the entire trilogy was a masterpiece esp if u include the special extended versions

When I first watched the show, before knowing anything about it, I thought it was going to be another pointless nudity & violence show like spartacus. I was a bit meh about that. But then turned out it had great political intrigue, which is what sealed the deal for me.

. . . wait. You didn't like Spartacus?

boooooooo! the entire trilogy was a masterpiece esp if u include the special extended versions

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the trilogy as a whole, but I think Fellowship is on another level. I still remember going to see it with my dad and then going to the mall afterward and just thinking to myself about what an awesome movie I had just seen.

The Two Towers especially was a bit disappointing. Return is certainly good, but not Fellowship good.

fellowship was probably one of my all time favorite movies, and i agree, it was a little darker than the others examples: gandalf dying, boromir dying, etc. Two towers and Return of the King were still great movies but the fellowship was amazing.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the trilogy as a whole, but I think Fellowship is on another level. I still remember going to see it with my dad and then going to the mall afterward and just thinking to myself about what an awesome movie I had just seen.

The Two Towers especially was a bit disappointing. Return is certainly good, but not Fellowship good.

the 3 movies were different stories (except for frodo & sam) on different scales. the greatness of the 1st movie doesnt diminish the awesomeness of the other 2. i know a lot of ppl who like twin towers the best (prob cuz of the battle for helms deep)

the 3 movies were different stories (except for frodo & sam) on different scales. the greatness of the 1st movie doesnt diminish the awesomeness of the other 2. i know a lot of ppl who like twin towers the best (prob cuz of the battle for helms deep)

lotr's battle scenes were epic af. I love them all, but fellowship is my favorite, but the last 2 are still amazing and the scene of helms deep and the battle for gondor were sick.

lotr's battle scenes were epic af. I love them all, but fellowship is my favorite, but the last 2 are still amazing and the scene of helms deep and the battle for gondor were sick.

exactly. the battle for minas tirith was on a different scale. i think ppl like the helms deep battle cuz of the proximity and the emotions of the character. (how u can c more action up close)

tits, unpredictable, dragons, swords, arrows, giants, giant wolves, bush, ice monsters.

Back