GoT fans, let's break it down. What precisely is it that makes this series so great?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Guestx, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Guestx

Guestx Guest

So in my opinion Game of Thrones is the best show on TV right now. I love it. And it got me to wondering what is it that separates a great show from a mediocre show, a phenomenon from a failure.

What I'm talking about here is the art of storytelling. And I'm wondering, what were the right moves that George RR Martin made that turned his story into something so compelling?

For me, I think if there is any ONE thing that I have taken from it, then it's the necessity of strong characters. The beginning of any good story, perhaps, isn't the plot at all but characters the viewer/reader will care about. After all, how many times have you heard people say "I just like hanging out with the characters" when talking about a movie or TV show, even when not a lot is actually happening plot-wise? I have heard it plenty.

Broadening this concept just a little, building an interesting world (which includes the characters but isn't limited to them) I think is also very important. Much like hearing people say they enjoy "hanging out with the characters," I have often heard people say that they like "living in the world" of the story. With Game of Thrones, George RR Martin has crafted a rich and believable world with a lively mythology. It's the kind of place that I'd like to jump through the TV and spend some time in, and fans in a sense get to do just that every time they watch an episode.

2. Guestx

Guestx Guest

The fuck are all our Game of Thrones fans at?

3. Matt4786

Matt4786 Gold Belt

The reason I like it is probably also the reason it takes GRRM so long to write the books. Even secondary and tertiary characters get so fleshed out that I find it easy to get lost in the world. So basically what you said. Compare that to something like Wheel of Time, where every female character is basically the same person.

4. ThinkGreen

ThinkGreen Der √úbermensch

I'm going to go with all the titties

5. VroomyJeeps

VroomyJeeps Brown Belt

Hot young actresses
    Nudity
    Gruesome killings
    Not afraid to kill off main characters
    Replacing main characters with new good main characters

6. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Have you read the books or only watched the show?

I'm all caught up on the show and just started reading the first book. So far I'm find the reading experience to be uneven. There's a fairly wide gap between my enthusiasm when reading the chapters for my favorite characters and my enthusiasm when reading the chapters for characters I don't care nearly as much about.

7. drstrangelov

drstrangelov Hey.

Pretty good source material elevated by very strong casting and excellent use of big budget set pieces. Also, HBO's standard of excellency in boob-casting.

8. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

basically this.

Although i do find it difficult to care about some of the characters

9. Guestx

Guestx Guest

A friend of mine put it this way in an e-mail:

"Early on, this series set the precedent, that without warning, terrible violence can happen. That adds a certain tension to everything."

I agree.

10. thebluerider

thebluerider caelgender ftw

11. CatchOmega

CatchOmega Hideous Disfigurement

The show is filmed in a way that makes it seem like so much more than a "tv show".

It has a much more cinematic feel to it.

Plus boobs and dragons.

12. LEWIS540

LEWIS540 .

13. BVG

BVG Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

The sets, the acting, the props...

maybe 1 or two characters, but at this point the story has taken a nose dive and the players are all about going through the motions.

14. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Catelyn I never much cared for and Sansa also is closer to the bottom of the list. Same goes for Stannis. I'm glued any time Jon, Jaime, Brienne, Ned or Arya are/ever were on the screen. Everyone else falls somewhere in the middle.

15. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

yea, basically, jon and arya are interesting to me, also jaime. After ned died though i lost quite a bit of interest. Its quite difficult to follow a show about multiple story lines when you only care about 2 or 3 of them. So far the more recent seasons like 3 and 4 were quite dull in my opinion, except for jon, arya, and the imp . I liked Ned the most by far

16. JudoThrowFiasco

JudoThrowFiasco Charming Quark Platinum Member

The on screen worlds they have created are phenomenal; i think that is the best adaption the show has made from the books, making the various parts of Westeros come to life.

It also goes against the norm. Most people get invested into characters with a subconscious notion that the good guys will always win, however GoT turns that notion upside down. The genuine angst people feel after scenes like
    red wedding, death of jon, death of Ned
    really show now much people invest in the characters and how the concept of bad can win really affects people. Look at the antipathy the person who played Joffrey has received.

It is also a very well acted and the sex/ nudity sells.

Plus Dragons.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  17. HereticBD

HereticBD Titanium Belt

As with any great show, it succeeds and fails with the writing. Set design is excellent. Wardrobe is excellent. Acting is excellent. FX are excellent. However, without the writing it all falls apart.

18. Guestx

Guestx Guest

I'd agree that not every season has been excellent, but I think that even the lesser seasons were still better than 90% of the shit on TV.

As for Ned's fate, it was incredibly shocking--and even disappointing--but it set the tone for the rest of the show. From that moment on we knew that no one was safe.

19. Aegon Spengler

Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

It's really the first show of its kind. High production values like you're watching a movie every episode, combined with a more adult version of Tolkien's fantasy genre, combined with solid acting\dialogue\ and unpredictable plotting.

20. Guestx

Guestx Guest

All I'm going to say is. . .

Bring back Jon Snow!