Got destroyed in first bjj class, how do I improve

chirpsman

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Most of you won't care but I'm 17 years old and have been kickboxing since i was about 14/15 years old. I went to my first no gi bjj class yesterday as I am eager to transition into mma and It was horrible. Everyone went 100% on me and I must have tapped like 20 times while we were rolling. Is this normal for a beginner or am I just shit? I was recently watching a Joe rogan podcast where he said the only way to improve was by rolling with people less experienced than you, if that's the case and I am the least experienced in the gym will it be hard for me to improve?
I understand it may sound like a stupid question but each class we learn new techniques and I feel that I will never get to learn the basics, is youtube a good source to learn from? I am hoping to transition to gi training after I get the hang of it with no gi.
No hate please I am a grappling noob and I know sherdoggers love giving sarcastic responses to feed their egos.
Thanks in advance

Why would yo expect anything different but getting destroyed in your first class? Kickboxing translate just as good as ballet to grappling, if not less. It has nothing to do so forget your kickboxing experience.

Now, don’t worry, and forget about getting g destroyed, it should be fun to roll, if you are i there with a mindset of a competition every single training, you will end up quiting. Considered this, is not a fight, your not engaging in a real physical confrontation with anyone, it’s a sport where people that has been doing it longer than. You are better at it, that’s it, it has nothing to do with you.

Now what rogan said is not true, the best way to improve your offense is rolling with people with less experience than you, but if you are the alpha male in the class, well it’s hard to improve your escapes and defense, and you will always need these attributes when facing better people, and unless you are part of the 0,0000001 % of the world, there’s always someone better than you...

Why would yo expect anything different but getting destroyed in your first class? Kickboxing translate just as good as ballet to grappling, if not less. It has nothing to do so forget your kickboxing experience.

Now, don’t worry, and forget about getting g destroyed, it should be fun to roll, if you are i there with a mindset of a competition every single training, you will end up quiting. Considered this, is not a fight, your not engaging in a real physical confrontation with anyone, it’s a sport where people that has been doing it longer than. You are better at it, that’s it, it has nothing to do with you.

Now what rogan said is not true, the best way to improve your offense is rolling with people with less experience than you, but if you are the alpha male in the class, well it’s hard to improve your escapes and defense, and you will always need these attributes when facing better people, and unless you are part of the 0,0000001 % of the world, there’s always someone better than you...

Thanks for the cool response bro I was expecting angry replies. I suppose I'm not used to being so bad at a sport that I get completely dominated the first time but I guess that's just bjj.
I'll stick with it and take a beating twice a week and see how I improve

What Rogan said is not true. Continue to train and you will improve. Easy!

Show up. Get destroyed even more. Rinse and repeat for a long time.

Improve

Thanks for the cool response bro I was expecting angry replies. I suppose I'm not used to being so bad at a sport that I get completely dominated the first time but I guess that's just bjj.
I'll stick with it and take a beating twice a week and see how I improve

F12 is not full of f2 retards, in this forum you can actually engange in very informative discussions, about grappling and Mma..

Grappling is nothing like striking, so don’t worry. Just think about this, if you give your face clean to someone to punch you, most people will successfully punch you in the face (I’m. It saying they will perform a technical punch) and most probably will hurt, if you give your arm to someone with zero grappling experience, and ask him to armbar you in any way the want, your probably be able to muscle out, cause people aren’t born with grappling skills ... just keep showing up.and try to enjoy your ride. It’s actually a lot of fun once you have settle the idea that every roll is not the mundials final, your a white belt and you are supposed to get wrecked. Enjoy the privilege.

Last edited:
If you can hold your own the first class, it's probably not something worth learning.

I would train more than twice a week if you really want to improve

I would train more than twice a week if you really want to improve
I wish I could but I'm 17 full time at college and money really is an issue. I'm struggling to pay £50 a month as it is for 2 classes per week

F12 is not full of f2 retards, in this forum you can actually engange in very informative discussions, about grappling and Mma..

Grappling is nothing like striking, so don’t worry. Just think about this, if you give your face clean to someone to punch you, most people will successfully punch you in the face (I’m. It saying they will perform a technical punch) and most probably will hurt, if you give your arm to someone with zero grappling experience, and ask him to armbar you in any way the want, your probably be able to muscle out, cause people aren’t born with grappling skills ... just keep showing up.and try to enjoy your ride. It’s actually a lot of fun once you have settle the idea that every roll is not the mundials final, your a white belt and you are supposed to get wrecked. Enjoy the privilege.
Thanks man will keep at it

I wish I could but I'm 17 full time at college and money really is an issue. I'm struggling to pay £50 a month as it is for 2 classes per week

That is rough. To be honest, 2x a week is going to be hard to hit that plateau where it doesn't feel like such an was kicking. Just stick with what you can do

Eat lots of food, lots of Winstrol, and vegetables.
Do bodybuilding lifting with a hard-nippled, married, female strength coach that you refer to as your sister, that you pose for semi nude photos with.

Do this, and by the time you are 22 years old you will be ADCC champion, no joke.

Last edited:
Yeah you can search this forum for “just had my first class”. And find 50 other threads like this.

Think of it this way, imagine if someone showed up to your kickboxing class and it was their very first time striking.

Would you expect you and all your teammates to decisively destroy that person in sparring?
Now imagine that guy shows up to train for a year solid, don’t you think he would be better than when he started?

I’d say it’s normal to have the experience you are having for a good 6 months or so. Maybe a year, it takes time

Also I would star away from YouTube for a while. If you can’t resist I would search for specific situations that you are getting stuck in.
With your experience you aren’t going to learn a new sweep you never tried before at the gym. But you may pick up on a good tip to help you with something you already know.

Props to you for showing up and giving it a go. I wish started at 17! Just keep turning up and focus on your movement, defense and building resilience and toughness under pressure. After a while someone new will start and you can be the hammer

You improve by going back to class as often as you can manage to.

Back