Got any Questions for Noriaki Kiguchi?

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by TakadaDojoKeith, Nov 1, 2017.

1. TakadaDojoKeith

TakadaDojoKeith Purple Belt

Old school Sherdogger and occasional author here. I'm currently working on a book about the kakutougi boom of the early 2000's here in Japan and I'm interviewing Noriaki Kiguchi for it next week. For those who don't know, he was a champion wrestler way back in the late 60's and was a coach for MMA guys like Takanori Gomi, Genki Sudo and Rumina Sato. If you've got any questions you'd like me to ask him about his involvement with MMA, post them and I'll try and include them in the interview.

2. Asurah

Asurah |⁰⊖⁰)

Would be interested to hear his thoughts on combat wrestling beginning to branch outside of Japan. I know he's an honorary president of the international federation but not sure how much he actually has to do with it.

If you only want more MMA specific stuff then it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on combat wrestling's influence on the sport considering he has trained numerous Japanese legends and many more have competed in the combat wrestling. I'll try to think of some more specific questions later because Kiguchi is interesting yet it's hard to find a whole lot on him, especially in English.

3. TakadaDojoKeith

Good question. I don't think so, but that's something I'll clear up in the interview. He has trained multiple Olympic medalists and, if I remember right, he was the national team coach for awhile. Kiguchi-san's biggest wins were Japanese national titles and (again, if I remember right) one at a world tournament back in the 60's.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    PurpleStorm, Slick_36 and TheGZA like this.
  4. kingcillo24

kingcillo24 Black Belt

"Who was the last mma fighter you trained?"
    "Do you still watch any combat sports?"

PurpleStorm and TakadaDojoKeith like this.
  5. TakadaDojoKeith

All good questions. Thanks for that. Looking forward to any more you come up with.

And yes, there's not much about him in English. That's one of the reasons I wanted him in the book. It's a really interesting story that hasn't been told.

6. eseseses681

eseseses681 Purple Belt

Specific details about his fallout with Gomi (the only information I ever saw about it was along the lines of "Gomi felt limited there and wanted to do his own thing", which leaves a lot to the imagination and sounds like there's a lot more details) and how he feels Gomi's career's gone since leaving him, and what he would do to help out Gomi if he were Gomi's head trainer again.
    Gomi.
    Also, maybe ask him questions about how wrestling works differently in a cage compared to in a ring and if that has anything to do with how Japanese fighters have fared in western organizations. If anyone knows about wrasslin', it's him. We all know that wrestling has to work differently when you're back and legs are against a cage compared to a rope that they can slip through, and it might be cool to hear his thoughts on it.
    And-- this might be one you've already thought of since it's pretty obvious-- a lot of people have talked about how Japanese MMA training has become inferior to western MMA training, with a common motif being "this guy's okay, but he'll never get anywhere if he doesn't move to the United States." Ask what a lot of the pros and cons he see with Japanese MMA training are.

7. TakadaDojoKeith

Good questions, especially the first one. Since he's in his 70's, I don't think he actively coaches much anymore. But Rumina Sato does occasionally put up pics on Facebook of Kiguchi-san teaching at his gym.

PurpleStorm likes this.
  8. LHWBelt

LHWBelt Silver Belt

Do you even train ufc?

9. TakadaDojoKeith

Believe it or not, Kiguchi-san's English is excellent and he would get that joke.

PurpleStorm, Gmork, Egnuldt and 3 others like this.
  10. Kentaro

Kentaro jusqu'ici tout va bien..

Why is there still no japanese ufc champion.

11. LHWBelt

LHWBelt Silver Belt

lol nice

12. JacJeanFinger

JacJeanFinger Purple Belt

He produced so many world class MMA fighters out of his dojo during the late 1990's, in a very short period of time, then there was nobody coming out of Kiguchi school after that. How come it is difficult for an established gym to hit a second generation talent wave and continue to enjoy 常勝行軍 of the strong camp?

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/cesar-gracie-vs-noriaki-kiguchi.3003735/

13. eseseses681

eseseses681 Purple Belt

You answered your own question in your thread. He started focusing more on his accomplished music career, getting some of that sweet young Japanese coffee shop pussy.

Gambit MMA and TakadaDojoKeith like this.
  14. KenkaBancho

KenkaBancho Blue Belt

Does he feel there's a major difference between the way the japanese wrestle and other countries? What about the way japanese training is conducted?

Despite being a wrestling coach, most his famous students or people who have trained with him (Gomi, Sakurai, Sudo, KID) are all primarily strikers and most of their biggest wins are by KO. What does he think about this, and why does he think that they progressed that way?

Does he feel that the combat wrestling style is limited today compared to BJJ?

Does he think that MMA in Japan will ever be as popular as in the Pride and K1 days again? If so, what would make that change?

TakadaDojoKeith likes this.
  15. TakadaDojoKeith

Gonna bump this to see if there are any more questions for Kiguchi-san from you guys.

PurpleStorm likes this.
  16. Asurah

Asurah |⁰⊖⁰)

How did he come to develop combat wrestling, did he always plan for it to be used in a combat type situation (such as MMA) or was it meant to be for grappling competition? And what distinguishes it from other submission wrestling arts?

One complaint I have always had about wrestling in MMA is that wrestlers don't use the wide array of techniques they have, instead sticking to the same 4 or 5 skills (usually a blast double, inside and outside trip, leg ride to get a choke, standard single leg). How does he view the wrestling in MMA and how could it be better adapted for the sport? I have something that features him somewhere and he shows some moves and set ups to common moves that are rarely used but could be effective (it's either a part of an instructional DVD or at the beginning of one of the combat wrestling competitions).

Who trained him, did he learn the submission aspect of grappling on his own or did he have a specific teacher?

17. SBC

SBC Purple Belt

Can you please ask him about why he feels that Japanese women are such a force in international wrestling compared to Japanese men, who seem to be lacking.

Wrestling in America is a reliable pipeline to MMA, and I would like to hear his thoughts on why we don't see tons more Japanese fighters with wrestling backgrounds flooding into MMA as we do here in the States.

Can we also get his thoughts on the downfall of both Gomi and Kid Yamamoto.

Does he have wrestling instructionals that can be purchased online or know of any for us in America to purchase.

What would be his advise for aspiring MMA fighters and aspiring MMA coaches.

Thanks! I would really love to pick up a copy of your book when it comes out, keep us updated.

18. JacJeanFinger

JacJeanFinger Purple Belt

Kazuyuki Miyata once said "Joe Warren and I have the greatest takedown in MMA industry and I'd love to find out who is ranked No.1 by having a wresting match with him".

Do you agree with what he says? or Who do you think is the best takedown guy in MMA?

(In my opinion, Randy Couture)

19. TakadaDojoKeith

The male/female difference in Japan's Olympic performances is a good question, especially since some of those female medalists started out at Kiguchi Dojo.

As for my book, there are links in my sig that are where I usually announce those things. If Sherdog let's me, I'll announce it here as well, but I'll have to check first. I'm not sure what their policy is on that kind of thing these days. If you want a free preview of Kakutougi Boom, you can download it from my website (first link in my sig). It's on the lower left of the page.

PurpleStorm and tinobar like this.
  20. 14.09

14.09 Green Belt

I don't think there is any other difference except the level of competition. In the last world championships a couple of months ago the Japanese men got two golds and a bronze I think. That's not bad.

EDIT: Well to be precise, I have no idea if there is or isn't some other differences as well. Just saying that I don't think there has to be.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    TakadaDojoKeith likes this.